Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh boy!

It has finally crossed my mind. I was banded 5/15/12 and I'm thinking, what have I done? I was in the Complications thread and reading all the things that has gone wrong with ppl and ppl dying from complications has me in tears and deep fear.

I want to LIVE and I want to be here with my kids and live a healthy life. That's the reason I got the surgery. Now I'm feeling like I signed my own death certificate.

I'm just venting and I'm not trying to bring anyone down. I'm scared and afraid of failing once again.

I was banded on 6/5/11, and I haven't had any complications. My weight loss has slowed down, but I haven't gained any either. I really don't even know I have the band until I eat chicken or some kind of other rubbery food that has trouble going down. Before my surgery and 10 day diet I weighed 347, not I am at 324. Like I said, me losing has slowed down, but I can admit, I haven't done my part. Exercising, Vegetables, etc. HoWEVER, I FEEL and LOOK GREAT!! So don't get discouraged. I just take it a pound at a time. So hopefully I can get these 24 pounds off in 6 months.

Don't scare yourself!! There's dangers to anything in life. You got the surgery for the right reasons - because you want to be around in the future for your kids. Think about what Morbid Obesity is...from the Rochester University website:

"Morbid obesity is a serious health condition that can interfere with basic physical functions such as breathing or walking. Those who are morbidly obese are at greater risk for illnesses including diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), gallstones, osteoarthritis, heart disease, and cancer."

Now, those side effects of living life at 300 lbs sound very scary to me! Most of them lead to death, all of them are life-changers.

Be positive. You really can be successful at this. It's a mindset and a lifestyle. It's always good to be aware of complications so we know what to look for, but just follow the plan and you should be peachy keen :)

Dont regret what you have done, being at your previous weight was something you should of been worried about. Evereybody is diffrent so dont worry yourself and if you feel so bad about the band one great thing about it is it can always be removed. and I see you are already losing which should make you feel GREAT!!! :)

I didn't even know there was a complications section on here. I'm not going looking for problems! Of course there can be complications, but if you are compliant with your instructions and you know and listen to your body, worst case scenario would probably be band removal.

Now, just out of curiosity, I'm going to go briefly glance at the complications section :o !

I have no idea where this "Complications" thread is but that's just silly. There are complications to anything. Walking across the street, riding a bike, mowing your lawn. There are risks all around us and obese people are at a much higher risk to "complications" and even death. I seriously doubt that in the last decade anyone has been killed by a band. People have died from other risk factors.

tmf

The people who have died were probably in really bad health to begin with. Just keep up with your checkups and you will be fine. If you notice an unusual problem or feeling, call your doctor. They are there to help you. Not cut you up and send you on your way ;)

Think of it this way. When you get a prescription from a doctor, they give you a pamphlet with all the side effects that pill "might" give you. You take the pills and keep an eye on your symtoms and how you react to it. Right?

This is almost the same thing. I got banded on 12/09/11, and that morning when I was in the hospital they were asking me if I had a living will and telling me all the things that can go wrong. My husband and I got pretty scared. But is something you have to know so you can be prepared and do not disregard any symptoms.

When I got home that day, I was nauseous and throwing up. I remember reading on the discharge instructions to call my Dr immedietly if throwing up a lot so I did and my Dr reassured me everything was fine and throwing up a little is normal because of the anesthesia.

Its normal feeling a little anxious with everything that's happening and specially reading others complications, my advice to you is keep an eye on whats happening to you and dont be afraid to ask your Dr or nurse any concerns that you might have.

Good Luck, Kathy

The complications thread is the worst case scenarios and most of us, though we may feel like it especially in the beginning, do not fit into that category. Please stick to the encouraging and supportive threads will you will find support and maybe some helpful hints. Its better to go in search of peace and support than the horrible "what ifs".

lalaj, How many others are doing just fine with their bands is the question you should concentrate on. Also remember that many of the complications are self inflicted meaning that some of these people acknowledged that they didn't follow the rules. Yes and there are others that did everything correctly and the complications were out of their control, however, if we do our homework and research we know that these things can happen and it is a gamble. My secret to keeping my sanity of complication worries? Live for today and remember that the band can be removed, not making it sound like surgery is easy, but that option is there for us.

Trust me, there are happy days coming ahead of you. Before the band I was at 325 lbs., miserable and falling apart. Words can't describe how well and energetic I feel today. I do worry about what tomorrow may bring, but, when I stop to think about the condition I was in 2.5 years ago -vs- today and how much I love living and the quality and awesome time I spend with my family, I easily forget about complications and live for today.

As time goes on you want to make sure you get your check-ups and if something doesn't feel right you need to investigate the issue with your doctor. You are only weeks out of surgery and it reminded me when I was weeks out, I kept asking myself the same question - "What the hell did I do to myself?" and now I ask myself "Where would I be without being banded". The gamble I took, for me, was that I hit a jackpot. I will deal with tomorrow's issues if and when they come, but, today, I'm gonna enjoy my winnings (the new me)!!!

Words of wisdom - Try to avoid dwelling on the negative and concentrate on why you did this and make this a success!! You can do this not only for yourself but for your loved ones!! jake

I think many of us have gone through the "what ifs". My fear of failure (in any area) has kept me from living my life to the fullest. Now, I don't know about you, but I just don't want to live my life that way any longer. I definitely had to get out of my comfort zone when I decided to have surgery.

I am so much healthier and happier. It took a while to get my head wrapped around everything. Now, this is my new normal. I've had no complications and hope I never do.

You are stronger than you think....

I think we have all had that thought. My biggest fear is that i will never be able to feel like a normal person again who eats food she enjoys. Everything feels like work right now, even getting through a 1/2cup meal.

You cant live in fear of the complications. Remember you did your research and it is WAY more dangerous to remain obese than to have a band. If major complications come up, I find comfort knowing my band can be removed as a last resort, unlike with other WLS.

Don't scare yourself!! There's dangers to anything in life. You got the surgery for the right reasons - because you want to be around in the future for your kids. Think about what Morbid Obesity is...from the Rochester University website:

"Morbid obesity is a serious health condition that can interfere with basic physical functions such as breathing or walking. Those who are morbidly obese are at greater risk for illnesses including diabetes' date=' high blood pressure, sleep apnea, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), gallstones, osteoarthritis, heart disease, and cancer."

Now, those side effects of living life at 300 lbs sound very scary to me! Most of them lead to death, all of them are life-changers.

Be positive. You really can be successful at this. It's a mindset and a lifestyle. It's always good to be aware of complications so we know what to look for, but just follow the plan and you should be peachy keen :)[/quote']

Very true. They are dangers all around and the side effects of morbid obesity scares me too. That's another reason I got the surgery, to lower my risk.

Thanks for the encouraging words :)

Okay, I just surfed around on the complications page... didn't run across any deaths, fortunately. The message I came away with is listen to your body!! One person was posting that she couldn't eat, couldn't drink and she was thirsty ... DUH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON A MESSAGE BOARD? YOU NEED TO BE AT THE HOSPITAL SO YOU DON'T GET DEHYDRATED!!!

Just use common sense. After surgery my doctor sent me home with instructions to call with ANY concerns, even if we didn't think it was anything serious.

Thank you all for understanding and not judging me for feeling the way I do. It's nice to be in a supportive forum with such wonderful ppl.

I'm usually a very positive person and I'm so grateful to have lost the weight that I have before I was banded. I messed up, I shouldn't have gone over there. I knew all the risks of having the surgery and I took the gamble. At this point I'm just praying it pays off.

I agree, I should just stay away from that thread and I'm going to do that.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I really appreciate it :)