Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining Weight Or Stuck At A Plateau Anyone?

Has anyone else found thats it hard to lose weight? I have gone back and forth 5 lbs' date=' even after fills. Now I am stuck at my current weight for about a month. Any suggestions on how to break through this plateau and move forward? I know exercise is a huge issue and I have problems doing much because I have spinal stenosis and am disabled. Any suggestions will be appreciated!![/quote']

I was banded Sept 27, 2011. Total weight loss including preop diet to date is only 25lbs. I drink my Protein shakes daily, but cant really eat much before 3pm, everything tends to get stuck before that time and im just not hungry. I have to force myself to drink the Protein. The later it gets the more I can eat for some reason. I could eat an entire regular size cheeseburger if I let myself. Im so frustrated that I got a prescription for Bontril (diet pills) a few mo ths ago...still havent lost 1lb since Jan 2012. I am 2 months shy of hitting my year mark and was told by my dr the day of surgery that I would lose 100lbs in 1 years time. I am ready to have my band removed and try the gastric sleeve. I have several friends that all got the sleeve over the band and have already hit their 100lb mark before a years time. Dont know if this is common or not?

I was banded Sept 27, 2011. Total weight loss including preop diet to date is only 25lbs. I drink my Protein shakes daily, but cant really eat much before 3pm, everything tends to get stuck before that time and im just not hungry. I have to force myself to drink the Protein. The later it gets the more I can eat for some reason. I could eat an entire regular size cheeseburger if I let myself. Im so frustrated that I got a prescription for Bontril (diet pills) a few mo ths ago...still havent lost 1lb since Jan 2012. I am 2 months shy of hitting my year mark and was told by my dr the day of surgery that I would lose 100lbs in 1 years time. I am ready to have my band removed and try the gastric sleeve. I have several friends that all got the sleeve over the band and have already hit their 100lb mark before a years time. Dont know if this is common or not?

It's common for restriction to vary that way - tighter feeling in the morning, looser feeling in the evening.

Have you asked your surgeon for suggestions for how to deal with that? What does he/she say?

It's his/her JOB to help you lose weight!

Well not sure of my next step. My surgery was Dec. 2011 and I am down a whopping 25 lbs. right now. Many people notice I am not losing. Even if I do go out to eat, I eat no more than half of my food. I eat so much less. Still, it is making me very sad. VERY SAD PJ :( I thought this was the answer.

I understand! I'm over 2 1/2 years out and now I'm only 35lbs down from surgery day because I keep gaining! I had been down 65lbs at one point! For the past 2 months, I've even increased my exercised and am tracking my calories on MFP I'm still gaining. This is the same thing that happened to me before I got lapband which is why I got lapband, and I am just so frustrated now!!! But, I'm not giving up on it! It just makes me want to cry though, I've been upset all week about it since my last doctor visit.. even cried in front of the doctor, the dietician, the nurse, and the exercise physiologist! It's really messing with my head!

Lou Ann, I've been on a plateau for 20 months. The last 6 months or so I've been feeling pretty discouraged.

PJ Braun and DizzyLizzy, I hear you. For the longest time I thought I was the only one who was NOT experiencing the euphoric success that seems to dominate the boards. I appreciate the positive attitudes, but dang, it's just not working like that for me.

I hope others who are considering band surgery see our posts too. I was sure the band was the answer. I've managed to keep the weight off that I lost, 46 lbs, but I was hoping for so much more. I do eat a lot less than I used to eat but my body is hanging onto the weight.

I see quite a few people who've responded on this thread with their own frustrations about slow or disappointing weight loss. Have any of you discussed that with your surgeons? It's your surgeon's JOB to help you lose weight! Even if they can't easily solve your problem, they should be giving you suggestions about things to do or other health and fitness professionals to see.

Hi Jean. Thanks for the empathy and suggestion. Unfortunately my surgeon recently left his practice. I'm in the process of trying to be seen by a new doctor. Here's hoping for a positive outcome.

Best wishes to us all for continued or renewed success. And again, thanks for this thread!

After reading this thread I called my surgeon and will see him on Wednesday. I haven't seen him in a year....I had an appt earlier this year but was really busy at work (I am a CPA) so I put it off till after April 15th. But then I gained weight during tax season and didn't want to go because I knew he would fuss at me. Now here I am more than 3 months after tax season and 37 lbs gained since the first of the year. I had at one time gotten up to 76 lbs lost - my A1C was down to 4.1. I still monitor my blood sugar regularly and even though I am not on medication any more my AM levels have crept back up to the 120s range. I feel sluggish and tired all the time - something I did not feel last year this time. I was full of energy and so motivated.

Some days I have restriction and some days I would swear that the surgeon just charged me $15,000 and did not put a lap band inside of me. Absolutely no restriction. I have had some minor stuck issues lately mostly because of not following band-eating rules.

I am self-pay and fills cost around $1,000 (my surgeon does them under fluoroscopy) so a fill is not cheap but neither is gaining back all of the weight I lost. I wish I could figure out how to get my head out of my rear end.

Hi Jean. Thanks for the empathy and suggestion. Unfortunately my surgeon recently left his practice. I'm in the process of trying to be seen by a new doctor. Here's hoping for a positive outcome.

Best wishes to us all for continued or renewed success. And again, thanks for this thread!

Well, even more sympathy for you on being abandoned by your surgeon. My original surgeon lost his medical license (drug abuse allegations) and it was hard finding another surgeon to take me on. I wish you the best!

After reading this thread I called my surgeon and will see him on Wednesday. I haven't seen him in a year....I had an appt earlier this year but was really busy at work (I am a CPA) so I put it off till after April 15th. But then I gained weight during tax season and didn't want to go because I knew he would fuss at me. Now here I am more than 3 months after tax season and 37 lbs gained since the first of the year. I had at one time gotten up to 76 lbs lost - my A1C was down to 4.1. I still monitor my blood sugar regularly and even though I am not on medication any more my AM levels have crept back up to the 120s range. I feel sluggish and tired all the time - something I did not feel last year this time. I was full of energy and so motivated.

Some days I have restriction and some days I would swear that the surgeon just charged me $15,000 and did not put a lap band inside of me. Absolutely no restriction. I have had some minor stuck issues lately mostly because of not following band-eating rules.

I am self-pay and fills cost around $1,000 (my surgeon does them under fluoroscopy) so a fill is not cheap but neither is gaining back all of the weight I lost. I wish I could figure out how to get my head out of my rear end.

Your fills cost $1,000 EACH?! Holy moly! I'd try to convince your surgeon to do a fill without the fluoroscopy. Fluoroscopy does not actually guarantee a "perfect" fill and at $1,000, it's more of a money maker for your surgeon and the radiology facility than a helpful service for you.

This is one reason that I tell pre-ops that the band is not a good idea for self-pay patients.

Your fills cost $1,000 EACH?! Holy moly! I'd try to convince your surgeon to do a fill without the fluoroscopy. Fluoroscopy does not actually guarantee a "perfect" fill and at $1,000, it's more of a money maker for your surgeon and the radiology facility than a helpful service for you.

This is one reason that I tell pre-ops that the band is not a good idea for self-pay patients.

I am hoping that I can negotiate that fee down somewhat - during my first year post-op I would get bills from hospital and radiology group and that it what they were billing. I never understood the radiology billing - the surgeon was in the room while the fluouroscope was being done - he did the fill - the tech was a hospital employee and the purpose was to locate the port and to make sure I could still swallow the barium - so why did a radiologist need to get involved? The surgeon's fee is covered for the first 2 years post-op so I should get this one at no charge from him.

I went 8 months before I got my first fill and during that time is when I lost most of my weight - it seems once I had that first fill I lost my mojo or something.

Usually doctors have a much lower cash price. My insurance covers mine at 1600 a fill however my doctor has a sign in her office that self pay fills are only 199 . I would request a reduction for cash pay:)

Just back from my doctor's appt - waiting for 2.5 hours then 15 minutes of scolding. He asked why I had the lap band and why I had let myself go. How do you make someone understand that you don't know the answer to that question yourself sometimes? I don't know why I let it go - but I am here now so let's do something about it. The coordinator is supposed to call me later today to get the fill set up and I will discuss pricing with her.

He says that my pouch could be stretched and I understand that. He says that it could go back down if I follow band rules so that is good news. He said though that I could have had a slip even though I have no symptoms - no pain, reflux, etc. and obviously I can keep food down. Has anyone had that experience? I hope he is trying to scare me (which it worked).

All I can do is go forward from here right?

Just back from my doctor's appt - waiting for 2.5 hours then 15 minutes of scolding. He asked why I had the lap band and why I had let myself go. How do you make someone understand that you don't know the answer to that question yourself sometimes? If he hasn't personally experienced obesity or weight problems, no amount of formal education will make him truly understand what we deal with in trying to manage our weight. I don't know why I let it go - but I am here now so let's do something about it. The coordinator is supposed to call me later today to get the fill set up and I will discuss pricing with her.

He says that my pouch could be stretched and I understand that. He says that it could go back down if I follow band rules so that is good news. He said though that I could have had a slip even though I have no symptoms - no pain, reflux, etc. and obviously I can keep food down. Has anyone had that experience? I hope he is trying to scare me (which it worked).

Yes, it's possible to have a band slip and no symptoms, especially if the band slips up onto the esophagus. As I understand it, that kind of slip is more likely to be caused by a failed suture than by the patient's eating behavior.

All I can do is go forward from here right? Absolutely! As the old saying goes, no need to cry over spilled milk. Just mop it up and move on. You've already taken a big step in the right direction by going back to see your surgeon, even if he was annoyed or disappointed in you.

Thank you Jean - you are giving me great advice and encouragement.

So my fill is scheduled for Monday. It will cost $700 which is still too much in my opinion - I used to be a CFO at a hospital so I know the discounts that are given to insurance companies so I think I am going to call the hospital tomorrow and find out if there is a larger discount that I can negotiate.

Since I left the surgeon's office - I have eaten a small chili from Wendy's (kind of had to get something quick after being at appt for 3 hrs so I could go back to work.) I did not snack this afternoon at all. I had two 16 oz bottles of Water then while cooking I sipped on a can of V8 juice because my blood sugar was a bit low. I make some more chili (really thick & chunky) and measured out my half-cup and took 30 minutes to eat it. That was about a 1.5 hours ago - I feel hungry now a little bit but I am going to drink some Water and go to bed.

I was so focused and determined when I was first banded - I have to get that back somehow. Due to surgeon's requirements, I was on liquids for 28 days (over Thanksgiving no less) and felt like if I could do that I could do anything. My surgeon recommends 24 hrs of liquids after a fill but I think I am going to follow post surgery rules if nothing else to get the mental aspect back.

I am self pay and have a lot of friends who are also. Would have to beg to differ with you on not a good idea for self pay patients! I pay $150 for a fill, much better than $1,000, but I knew up front and before my surgery what it would cost me.