Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining Weight Or Stuck At A Plateau Anyone?

Jessie Ahroni's book, Laparascopic Adjustable Gastric Banding, has an excellent section entitled, "How Can I Tell If I'm Perfectly Adjusted?" While I'm not sure there's such a thing as "perfect" adjustment (for me, "almost perfect" works very well), Jessie gives helpful lists of questions to ask yourself to determine if you need an eating adjustment, a behavior adjustment, an acitivity adjustment, an attitude adjustment, or a band adjustment. There are dozens of things that can affect your weight and though not all of them are within our control, quite a few of them are. I like re-reading Jessie's questions because she reminds me of things I'd overlooked or forgotten.

Wow you all have lost so much weight! Im jealous!! I was banded on Oct 10, 2011 and Im only down 28lbs! :( What is your secrets? Especially you Mis73?!! Congrats!!

#1 advice??????? Journal, journal, journal!! If I did not log my intake from day 1, I would not be where I am today. I could have easily eaten more than what I served myself, but I didn't. I sucked it up and ate my 3 oz portion of Protein, 1/2 cup veggie and 1/4 cup potato if I had some. The first year was so much easier for me. After a 2 month plateau I am losing again. 1 pound from goal. When I reach that, I am going for an even 100 pound loss! 135 is my ultimate goal.

You can do it too!

I hope no one is jealous if my weight loss, my 120lbs has been over a 6 year period! About half over a 3 1/2 year period before banding and the other half since I was banded December 2009! Several plateaus and change ups included! But I'll never give up!

I echo many of the thoughts expressed here. Keep track of your daily calories and mix it up a little (low calorie one day, moderate the next and so on). Some people go back to the post surgery diet for a week or so to get the pounds moving. I just finished a two month plateau and I felt the same as you are feeling now...frustrated! If you are hungry and can't wait 4 hours between meals, then you may need a fill to kickstart the process (that is what I ended up doing) and I am losing weight again. Good luck.

I get to the numbers with a zero at the end and bounce up and down a few pounds for a while before dropping into the next decade. It seems to be my body's way of dealing with a new situation since the same thing happened when I lost weight before getting the band. I'm at a bouncing stage right now and know that while it may last a month or two eventually things will work out and down the weight will go. I'm hoping this is my last bounce session and that soon I'll just be looking at maintenance.

I'm stuck at 141-143. Been here since April. But I was also on a plateau at 172-175. So I accept that it will likely be another 2-4 months for me to break past this. My goal was 135 for July 5, now just hoping to maintain while my body figures out we haven't finished losing yet. My cruise with multiple trips to ice cream station helped me break plateau last time. Lost 4 pounds on a Disney cruise. Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe I need a vacation! LOL

And so I was reading that someone else took 6 months to get to the "sweet spot". Today is my 6 months and I am still not there. I went in to the doctors today and got a fill. I was down only a little. They knew I was very discouraged. They were so good to me today. The doctor said when I get the right fill, it will all change. Then they showed me my bloodwork!!! I had the diabetes one ( AC whatever) at 7.5 when I started this journey. Today it was 6.2 !! My triglicerides were 177 and today 122. I am getting healthy even if it is not fast weight loss. I feel a little better about that.

And so I was reading that someone else took 6 months to get to the "sweet spot". Today is my 6 months and I am still not there. I went in to the doctors today and got a fill. I was down only a little. They knew I was very discouraged. They were so good to me today. The doctor said when I get the right fill, it will all change. Then they showed me my bloodwork!!! I had the diabetes one ( AC whatever) at 7.5 when I started this journey. Today it was 6.2 !! My triglicerides were 177 and today 122. I am getting healthy even if it is not fast weight loss. I feel a little better about that.

PJ, having your numbers go down is huge!! Congrats, you are already a healthier you!!! As for the sweet spot, I just reached it! 16 months later and finally there!

I was banded 3/29/12. Lost 20lbs before and 39lbs after, but now the last 2 weeks the scale hasn't moved, it is very frustrating, I had one fill on 5/10, got 5cc's and feel the restriction a little but not much, going for a second fill 6/23 and hoping that will help, what I was told by other bandsters is to change things up with the diet and try to do a day of liquids once in a while. Haven't tried that yet but considering.

Honestly it sounds like your not tight enough. I was banded 4 and a half months ago, and for the first 3 months it was really slow going and I had plateaus. Then I got tighter and suddenly...woooooo I lost 20 pounds in the next 6 weeks...

Its hard to know if your tight enough or should get another fill but as soon as you get there you know it was what you needed.

Kristie, keep track of what you eat and make sure that you are getting your Protein in. The protein keeps your metabolism up and helps you lose weight faster. It also causes you to fill full longer. Good luck and dont get discouraged! It will happen. One other thing, dont worry when you splurge. We have all done it. Just think of it as an opps and get back on track the next day!!

LouAnn- I could really use some help.. I was banded Oct 6' date=' 2011 and I'm down 35lbs..I'm so frustrated.. I have been banded about 5 times and I'm still struggling.. I feel like a complete loser!! Finding so hard not to get discouraged. How do you get back the motivation???[/quote']

I feel ur pain ! Feeling much the same but Atleast u haven't gained it back !!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk ;)

I am thankful that I have not gained anything back. I have an appointment tomorrow for a fill. Will see what they say.

I just hit my first plateau one pound away from my hundred I have been stuck for a month. Changing up my calories this week to see if I can get restarted :(

Well not sure of my next step. My surgery was Dec. 2011 and I am down a whopping 25 lbs. right now. Many people notice I am not losing. Even if I do go out to eat, I eat no more than half of my food. I eat so much less. Still, it is making me very sad. VERY SAD PJ :( I thought this was the answer.