Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My background: I am a male, 52, in good health otherwise but am obese. I walk and even run/walk at least every other day, take not meds except baby aspirin and some niacin. BP today was 117/71 today.

I was banded in early summer of 2007 by Dr. C in Boise, the whole process went very well and I lost from 305 to 285 just prior to the surgery (his requirement), then continued to lose over the next two years down to about 235. That's 70 pounds total.

Dr. C left the area so I began seeing another bariatrician - Dr. K for annual follow up visits. In the fall of 2010 I had some pain in the band area and even up in my left shoulder a bit. Went to see the PA - A for Dr. K who removed 4 of the 7 ccs of saline thinking that I may have had some dilation. The pain subsided and things seemed to go fairly well for about a year but my weight started to creep up towards 250. I noticed that the scar above my port site was tender, and occasionally uncomfortable but didn't give it much concern.

In Feb 2012 I went back for a fill because the weight was creeping again to 255 and the scar (on my right side) was red on the outer 1/3rd. This time another PA -B looked at it and rather than accomplish the fill, he was concerned about what appeared to be an infection and proscribed a course of antibiotics. I completed the course of antibiotics and then over the next couple of weeks the infection came back and the outside corner of the scar opened up about the size of a pencil lead and began to secrete creme colored Fluid and occasional blood (sorry for being graphic) then healed over and a week later repeated.

I called and went back in and saw Dr. K who was concerned there may be erosion as the primary concern that manifests as an infection at the port site. He ordered an endoscopy as soon as possible and I went today to have it done. I have attached are some of the photos they took. (see attached)

It appears as if the lap band (black item with port tube) has come all the way thru the wall and is obstructing the path. I will go and see Dr. K tomorrow and I expect for him to tell me it must be removed. What a disappointment!

While the results I got from this may not have been dramatic compared to others, the band has helped my be more functional, have greater energy, and improved my overall health. If I could I would try to save it, but this looks pretty bad.

Not sure how this happened, nor what could have been done to prevent this, but I hope this may help others who have initial symptoms from their band. Its possible mine started back in the fall of 2010 and I just didn't realize it. We'll see what the doc has to say tomorrow...

Lap Band Endoscopy.pdf

Good luck, I hope there is a happy solution .

oww.. please let us know how things turn out!

Fascinating pictures ty for sharing.. I am so sorry to hear of your problems, i hope you are able to sort out the band and get well again soon :)

Saw Dr. K today, the band is half in half out and will need to be removed. He's indicated that the removal can be either very simple if the stomach can be closed or it could be very complicated if the erosion is in the esophagus. Gave me a strong course of antibiotics to address the infection, put me on liquids, and scheduled surgery. Outlook is a month or more on liquids following the surgery.

In retrospect I continue to try and understand when this might have initiated so that I could share with others, but am unable to pinpoint it. Possibly as long as 18 months ago when I went in to see the PA and she removed saline, but could be as recent as 4 months ago when I had a hard time keeping food down. Clearly from what I have read, an infection at the port site is a key indicater as the infection often starts at the band then travels to the port site.

Will keep you updated as I go thru this.

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. I found this post because I just started having a little tenderness and what I believe is swelling near my port site. I'm less then 10 months out from surgery with no complications. I've been super active, and will be devastated if I have to have another surgery and break out of my exercise habit, let alone get the band out. I'm kind of attached to it. Ugh. I am terrified of complications, and hope you have a good, healthy outcome. Please keep us posted!