Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost Five Years After And....problems

I had my surgery in September 2007. I lost 60 pounds, down from 252 to 192, felt and looked great even though my weight was still over what was recommended for my height. I'm 5'6". In the last two years, I have had a few setbacks that contributed to me gaining almost all of my weight back. My mother died and I found out that I have hypothyroidism and am going through menopause also. :(

I take full responsibility for what I eat...I know that I am an emotional eater. I have been having another issue though. I now have reflux at night while I am trying to sleep. Also, I cannot eat! I PB almost everything I put in my mouth! So, I am not sleeping and not eating. I know...go back to the doctor. I am going to. I just wanted to vent and to see if anyone else out there has had any issues similar to mine.

You're not alone. I started gaining weight after being banded for almost three years so I got another fill. Now I'm having horrible acid reflux at night and can barely eat anything during the day without gagging. At the best, I'm too tight. At the worst, my band has slipped. I have switched to a liquid diet to see if my band will calm down but if not, I'm going to have to get some of the fill taken out. As for the emotional eating, have you tried phentermine? While you can't take it for the long-term, it completely took away my emotional eating (I couldn't have cared less about food for the first time in my life!) and gave me a kick start to dropping the weigh again. Good luck!

Be careful putting off getting this checked. Around Easter time I got an overfill. I was fine for a day or two I was drinking ok and barely able to eat. I kept thinking maybe when the swelling goes down it will be ok. Drinking became painful a couple days later and I started throwing up everything. Didn sleep for two more days and was choking at night. Wound up dilating my pouch and tilting my band! They had to remove over 2 cc's from my band! Now I've gained 12lbs and am completely feeling depressed. Hoping to get back on track soon but I wonder if I've messed up things. I remember thinking "just a few more days, just a few more days!" if I knew then.....

It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life so try and take it one day and one issue at a time .

I also have reflux and have found a few things to do to keep it at bay. Do not eat late at night , slow waaaay down when you are eating and throughly chew your food . Avoid acid producing food and beverages such as alcohol and foods that just do not mix well. Keep your meals simple and make nutrition a priority, not what the scale says .

I take an OTC acid reducer when I feel I have eaten to late or had some alcohol. It helps a lot . I had esophagitis and learned my lessons the hard way . Change is often hard for many of us , and if one goes back to doing as they did before banding ,your body will tell you . I disagree with taking pharmaceuticals as a crutch ,there are much more effective products available OTC , such as Saffron and CLA , check out LEF.org , do your research and find what works for you and your body.

Banded in "08 and finally have settled into a rhythm and effectively dealing with the band . Work it ! and you will be successful. ~

Similar situation, yes, go to your doc ASAP. I've been banded 2 1/2 years and have gained back 20 of the 70 pounds I lost. I didn't realize how much I gained back because I stopped weighing myself a few months ago and hadn't been to see my doctor in a year. What led me back was that I started having horrible acid reflux. I did a barium swallow and found my pouch was stretched which was tilting my band. They took out all the Fluid and will check in a few weeks to see if my pouch and band goes back in place, and if it has, they will give me little fills again. I haven't had any problems with reflux since they took my Fluid out and I've gained some restriction again with the band alone, so I think it's working!

Go to the doc ASAP and get checked! Waiting will only make it worse, because I found that the only thing that made my reflux feel better was more eating!!!