Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking For A Decent Coffee Creamer Alternative?

Hi there! I'm still pre-op, but I'm trying to prepare myself. Past dieting experience tells me that I will be just fine giving up the things I usually crave, potatoes, burgers, even chocolate. And while I *could* give up coffee (and am very willing to if it comes down to it!), I really REALLY don't want to. As silly as it sounds, coffee makes me happy, and getting through my long shifts at work (which have hit 24 hours in the past) would be rough without it.

I have tried in the past to drink it black, but aside from tasting like dirt, it just doesn't make me as happy as having it with a bit of Creamer does. Even worse, I am apparently REALLY sensitive to artificial sweeteners. Every time I try some new diet beverage or sweetener that people say 'you totally can't taste the difference' I can. I have tried ALL the diet sodas, not only do they taste bad to me, but they usually leave me with a wicked Migraine after only a few sips. I've tried Splenda too, it had the same effect. Can anyone out there recommend something for me to try?

In the past when I've dieted, I was able to limit myself to one 100 calorie cup a day, which sounded fine but when you're trying to stick to 1000-1200 calories a day, that's a LOT to spend on a single beverage. I'm willing to do anything to make this work of course, but if I could keep just one of my comfort foods, that would make me really happy. Any coffee addicts out there have some suggestions? Thanks!!

OMG I love coffee but I have basically given it up. I had terrible stomach ulcers, took meds for it. Since the surgery (I had a hiatal hernia repair too) I kinda decided to drink tea. I love Chai (decaf) and I have found a coffee substitute called Teeccino ( I buy it at the Whole foods Store). It comes in many flavors and is so nummy. I use Carnation Coffeemate or Soy milk as a Creamer.< /span>

have you tried the sweetner Truvia made from stevia? It's a natural sweetner made from a plant. I still use my 1 T coffeemate french vanilla and 2 Truvia packets.

My Mom uses Truvia or Agave nectar, both are natural sweeteners. My Mom swears by the Truvia (stevia) but I hate it. The only alternative sweetener I like is Splenda. My mother in law had to give up sugar and alternative sweetners because they made her break out in hives and gave her a bad headache but the all natural ones don't bother her. I would suggest you try the truvia or agave nectar and see what that does for you.

I'm a coffee lover as well and I can totally relate to what you're saying.

I've tried to convert to skim milk in my coffee but it's DEFINITELY an adjustment. During my pre op diet I used lite or fat free creamer(coffee mate powder). And I still lost 18lbs during that time. So I'd say as long as its lite or fat free, you're good. Since I've been banded I've only had 2 cups of coffee with the lite Creamer and I felt fine.

I was instructed to drink decafe which is what I drank anyway. As far as cream it was recommend to use skim or Protein powder like the vanilla kind

I'd just say follow your doctors rules or talk to your nutritionist and ask about creamer. Good luck and I hope you find your happy medium :)

I am a coffee addict.. Or I was... I have only had two cups of Decaf since I've been banded... I use 1 cup of vanilla almond milk unsweetened. A teaspoon of sugar free salted caramel Torani Syrup and stevia in the raw... I was a hard core extra cream and latte person... I know the torani won't work for you since it has splenda. but maybe the creamer and stevia will work! Good luck I hope you find the perfect mix to fit your new banded life!

Hi there! I'm still pre-op, but I'm trying to prepare myself. Past dieting experience tells me that I will be just fine giving up the things I usually crave, potatoes, burgers, even chocolate. And while I *could* give up coffee (and am very willing to if it comes down to it!), I really REALLY don't want to. As silly as it sounds, coffee makes me happy, and getting through my long shifts at work (which have hit 24 hours in the past) would be rough without it.

I have tried in the past to drink it black, but aside from tasting like dirt, it just doesn't make me as happy as having it with a bit of creamer does. Even worse, I am apparently REALLY sensitive to artificial sweeteners. Every time I try some new diet beverage or sweetener that people say 'you totally can't taste the difference' I can. I have tried ALL the diet sodas, not only do they taste bad to me, but they usually leave me with a wicked Migraine after only a few sips. I've tried Splenda too, it had the same effect. Can anyone out there recommend something for me to try?

In the past when I've dieted, I was able to limit myself to one 100 calorie cup a day, which sounded fine but when you're trying to stick to 1000-1200 calories a day, that's a LOT to spend on a single beverage. I'm willing to do anything to make this work of course, but if I could keep just one of my comfort foods, that would make me really happy. Any coffee addicts out there have some suggestions? Thanks!!

really the only way to go is to dig your heels in and take the bull by the horns and start having it black, whether you like it or not. ive been there and done that. i actually started off without milk, but some sugar. then i cut out the sugar and had some sweetener in it which i gradually cut down over two weeks. now i have it black, ive developed a real taste for it.. in fact, its the true flavour of coffee ,which i now love. ive been having black coffee for nearly 20 years now. In fact, apart from about one cuppachino a month i dont have milk at all. if i did start again, it would make me feel ill. So... if you really do benefit from coffee, you need to dig your heels in and go through the tansition period. You can do it.

Im having three caffeinated coffees a day... i enjoy every single one of them. The only difference now is i have equal to a cup and not a mug.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I'm looking forward to trying these next time I head out to the grocery store. If they aren't too expensive I'll pick up a couple and post reviews.

I hadn't thought about switching to Chai, I LOVE Chai! I think it would still have to have some sweetener in it for me, but I also think I might have an easier time with unsweetened tea than black coffee.

About the black coffee, it's not so much the taste that discourages me, it's that black coffee doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy happy feeling like the sweet stuff does, if that makes sense. Since I don't technically need coffee, I'd almost rather give it up cold turkey than drink it black if I'm not enjoying it ya know? Although the coffee I drink is always the cheap stuff. It doesn't much matter to me when it's covered up by a ton of creamer, but maybe I would like the black stuff if I had a better brand of coffee? Any suggestions there? Thanks again! :lol:

You could try some of the flavored coffee. Once in a while my lovely fiancee will dig out the coffee grinder and make me some vanilla Carmel Starbucks. I find that I don't need as much stuff in the coffee that is already flavored. My best friend gets some brand of Chai that is Vanilla Carmel or something like that. She doesn't like sweetener in her tea so she drinks flavored tea to get the benefit of pretending she's doing something bad when she's really not.

I drink coffee daily. ( I also drink tea daily) For my coffee I use sweet n low and store brand fat free creamer.

A tall skinny (non-fat) latte from starbucks is only 90 calories and has 10g Protein :)

I love agave Syrup. It mixes in so well and I can't tell it's not real table sugar.

Try powdered milk.... It's fat free and gives it that "rich" creamy texture.. It's awesome. As for sweetener I like equal, it tastes like real sugar to me. Good luck!!