Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it all over again?

In a heartbeat. Just wish I had done it as soon as it was available in the states. I've lost slower than I expected because I tend to give everything I do 120% but I took a few months off during the holidays to regroup. Had another fill the beginning of February (5th in the BIG BAND) and finally feel some good restriction.

It's different for everyone. I had the period of mourning food but in the end, I can miss some things (like BREAD) but I get over it. I actually even crave Protein now over carbs which is good. The one thing I was worried about was the effect my new eating habits would be on the family but after almost a year, the only effect has been positive. My kids were never overweight but my husband needs to lose about 40 pounds. I eat whatever the family eats (good food - not junk) but only in smaller portions. I go out to dinner with the family and take home doggie bags or order a kid's meal. I have lunches out due to my job and it's not noticeable to anyone at all if they aren't one of the select few I've told. I pretty much have settled into the lifestyle which is what I needed. I can't DIET. That has never worked. I've lost 80-90 pounds twice in my life and always regained it. I won't this time - not so much because the band won't allow it but I won't allow it.

So anyway, good luck in your decision and let me know if you have any questions. Laura

hi think it was the best thing i have ever done i know i would never have lost the weight otherwise,i lost before but it just creeps back on not this time

sandra......

Knowing now that complications do happen (not only with the other WLS ops)and that the posibility of re-operation or losing the band is much higher than I thought pe-op,and the fact that I have lived with heartburn and a lot of pain since getting the band......no,I wouldnt do the band again....would have WLS though,just dont know which operation.....

I would still do a surgery, just probably not the band. I just feel that the band isn't maybe the "lifelong" committment that I once thought it was. I would feel better if I knew someone who had the band LONG term, say 12 years +. I love my band now, and now that I have it I will work with it for as long as I have it, I just wouldn't do it again, I woud choose a different surgery, one more permanant.

I am having a bit of trouble right at this second, and am thinking the very worst (as most do) and have been thinking about what I will/would do if I need to be unbanded.

I will do it again if I have to. If it comes to a point, where I need my band out, I will have another put in ASAP.

Hi - I'm fairly new too - banded 11.18 and I'm not sure if would do it again either -It is much 'harder' then I thought it would be - I still have some hunger (real and head) issues and many issues learning to eat slow and chew well. I expected the band to do this but even though it's not a miracle cure - I think deep down I thought it would be easier. All of the girls who had surgery the same day with me feel the same way although all are committed to making this work. You will still have to fight the head hunger, quit snacking between meals, cut out liquid calories and no drinking with or right after meals and exercise- many of the same things you would do if you were on weight Watchers, etc. For many - they say the hunger goes away and some of the above becomes easier - i'm just not there yet.

Knowing what I know now, I would not do it again. It doesn't change your hunger levels, the feeling of fullness is neither authentic nor pleasant, food choices are severely restricted, and the pain from a PB is inexplicable. All in all, I feel like I was deceived. The diet is basically a mechanically forced form of Atkins with huge pain consequences if you don't comply. And I know in my gut that this is not for life as all surgeons claim.

I don't know about a ticking time bomb....I don't feel any imminent threat, as I've only been banded 3 months, but I do think that I will have to have the damn thing out in a few years. I only hope I can lose my weight first. So far I've lost 4 pounds post-op. And I only have a BMI of 30, so I'm not interested in any other surgeries. I almost wish I would have some kind of complication so I could get the thing out and eat without pain again. This band has taken the pleasure out of eating and drinking.

I think it is because I am coming up on 1 year now. Most erosions seem to happen between 18-24 months it seems. I am just nervous and scared. I don't want to panic, but I am.

Wow, I'm surprised that some people are unhappy with the band. But it is great to get an honest answer, too. I think it is really important to hear about the realities of being banded.

Princess and Strawarts: I've wondered if there is some long term data out there. I know I've read somehwere that people in Europe have been banded since the late 80s. It would be great to hear about their successes and failures.

Ok, another thing. Don't you think to some extent this whole board is a tough place to find accurate statistics on people who are happy/unhappy with the band?

It's sort of like when you go to a restaurant review website. (of course I use a food example) Only the people who are totally thrilled or totally disgusted will go to the trouble to get online and post a review fo a restaurant. Majority of the people have an acceptable time and feel no need to comment.

Don't you think that is true here? That there are newbies considering suregery (me), newly banded (less than a year), and a handful of veterans (2+ years). There are probably thousands of people out there who don't post who feel like the band is acceptable. No need to rant or rave either way.

Certainly I don't intend to diminish the comments of the members here. It is GOOD to know the pros and cons. I just theorize about getting a fair representation here.

I would tend to agree with you, tvgrrl. I read someone else say one time that the people who are successful with their bands and out there just living life and don't need the support anymore. Who knows?