Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it all over again?

Hi everyone,

Well it am kinda new at this. I have been reading everyones posts over the last few months. I am to be banded on March 21. I was just wondering for those of you who have had this done for a while. Knowing what you know now would you do this all over again? Please I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing.

Thanks

MelvaD

Hi Melva,

I've been banded a little over 7 months. I've had some minor problems with getting the right fill level, but I'm so happy with my band. I would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm 7 months out, and doing great! I have not had any problems and believe that this was one of the best decisions I ever made. It's not magic, and you do have be somewhat compliant to your post-op aftercare directions, but if you do your part, it will be a success!

Almost two years after being banded, no complaints at all. It has been hard, but the best choice I've ever made.

3 years in May. I HAVE done it again, because of slippage and I WOULD do it again - provided my insurance would pay and my health would allow it. Yes, ma'am..

I'm only 6 weeks post surgery, but so far I've lost 25 pounds, which is like a miracle. I'm getting my first fill tomorrow, so hopefully the loss will continue but not as fast. So far I would definitely do it again.

Emily

Eight weeks out here and the memories of the pre-surgery fears and the post-surgery pains are still very fresh in my mind. Even so, I would do it again in a heartbeat. This band is helping me learn to modify my eating habits and food choices. Notice I said "helping". The band won't miraculously remove 100 pounds from you, but it certainly is a wonderful tool that works great when put to use. It may not last forever, but while I have mine I plan on using it to the fullest while retraining myself so I can maintain a healthy lifestyle from now until I die.

Yes, yes, yes, I if I knew then what I know now.. I would still make the same choice!

Absolutely.

I no longer get heartburn.

My bloodsugar has remained more stable.

My ankles no longer get edema.

I am feeling and looking better.

So many other reasons I think of right of the bat.

MelvaD,

I am going to be totally honest with you.

I am not sure if I would do it all over again knowing what I know now. Of course I haven't had my band that long either.

First and foremost I have a very very low pain tolerance. I had a real hard time recovering from the surgery, and ended up taking 3 weeks off from my job. Of course I have a physical job and I knew I wouldn't be physically able to work but I thought I would bounce back better than I did.

I also don't think I was totally prepared in my "head" for the sensation of the band. Even though I went through almost one full year trying to get the exceptance from the insurance company and that was so friggin frustrating, I still had plenty of time reading all the posts on this board and talking to a friend I know who had the band and I thought I was ready.

The band just plain feels weird to me......... I feel as though I have a pushed up type feeling on my esophagus. It doesn't hurt it's just there and it doesn't feel "normal". The doctor told me that it's very normal to have this sensation and that eventually I won't even notice it being there.

I do kinda wish now I would have tried Nutra System or some strict diet program just one more time. I did go on a counting calories diet on my own in 2003 and lost a little over 50 pounds but my father passed away in 2004 and I put it all back on.

OK........This is the flip side to this whole thing.....I've lost 29 pounds since December 13th!

And since my 2nd fill last week I haven't been as hungry as I was before.

I guess time will tell for me. If I loose 100 pounds and my feet feel better and I feel healthier it would be worth it I guess, but at this point....No.

Yes. I would do it. I now know that this is really a lot harder than I had expected. My head still has a long way to go. However, my band is such a wonderful tool. It constantly reminds me that I have made a committment and am working toward my goal. Mostly good days, a few not so good. For me this was/is the best decision I have ever made.

Yes I would get banded again. I have not been as sucessful in losing weight yet, I was banded December 13, 2005 and I lost some weight, but am now up to day of surgery weight. I have had one fill and will have another one this week. I feel good, I know that the weight will come off once my band is filled right for my body.

What I can tell you is that everyone is different. I am very hungry and not feeling any restriction at all.....yet. It will come and I will be sucessful at some point. I also get frustrated when I see a friend of mine who had gastric by-pass done a month after me, who was already much smaller than me, down 30+ lbs. But that is a completely different surgery and one that i chose not to do for my personal reasons. So just keep in mind if the beginning is tough that it will work over time.

Good Luck!!!!

I was banded July 28, 04. Both my old job (at time of banding) and my new job (Geek Squad rocks! Love being a Double Agent) are primarily sedentary jobs, and I don't get a lot of time for excersize, and am (basicly) somewhat lazy. I have only lost 48 lbs since being banded, but I am only 21 pounds from 'my' goal and 46 lbs from my Dr's goal.

Also at the time I had another surgery done as well {not the same area) (killed two birds with one stone), so my recuperation was a little more than what I would expect with just the one surgery.

So your question was, would I do it again? NO QUESTION! An imfatic yes from me .... but that's just my 2 cents, and my occurences.....

Best of luck, and think "long term" - not just the surgery date and immediate results. I did it to make sure I could be around for my wife, daughte and step daughter for a longer period of time. {now if I could just quit smoking, but on the upside I only smoke 2 to 5 cigs a day, so THAT at least is not tooo bad {my last vise I have left}.