Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started Exercising And Stopped Loosing Weight?

I'm a slow loser which I am fine with. I lose about a pound a week. I started Power 90 with Tony Horton about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago and while I feel good I have stopped losing weight. I'm hopeful that this is short lived. I'm working out 5 days a week alternating between strength and cardio. I can tell that I am already toning up but frustrated. Anybody else have this happen? When did the scale finally start moving again : (.

I'm doing something similar and although I haven't lost any weight in the last 10 days, I noticed my pants and a few shirts fit better or are looser. You're building muscle and that's a good thing but I know it's frustrating when the scale doesn't move.

tmf

You are building muscle but don't forget about the inches

Exercise builds muscle..... Muscle weighs more than fat..... Muscle eats fat..... Muscle up + weight up + fat down + inches down= not flabby, very good!

Can I clarify something? Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 lb of muscle is equal to 1 lb of fat. They are both 1 lb. The difference is 1lb of muscle is denser than 1 lb of fat, therefore it takes up less space.

Wow, thanks for clarifying that. I hope that answered her question and offered encouragement. Oh wait.........

I am sorry that you are offended by my correction. Most people on here who are just starting to work out need to know the simple facts of exercising and weight lifting. Facts are more valuable than false statements even in encouragement, in my opinion. I wouldn't want your encouragement to make her believe that those three lbs on the scale she gain where all muscle.

Muscle takes a long time to build. But if you are trying to gain muscle you need to drink your Protein after your workout. You just broke the muscle, you need to supply it with the right nutrients to rebuild. The best way to judge the fat vs muscle on the scale is with measuring tape, how clothes fight and how hard you can push it. To build muscle it is going to hurt and you need to stretch before and after.

I am sorry that you are offended by my correction. Most people on here who are just starting to work out need to know the simple facts of exercising and weight lifting. Facts are more valuable than false statements even in encouragement' date=' in my opinion. I wouldn't want your encouragement to make her believe that those three lbs on the scale she gain where all muscle.

Muscle takes a long time to build. But if you are trying to gain muscle you need to drink your Protein after your workout. You just broke the muscle, you need to supply it with the right nutrients to rebuild. The best way to judge the fat vs muscle on the scale is with measuring tape, how clothes fight and how hard you can push it. To build muscle it is going to hurt and you need to stretch before and after.[/quote']

Great info !

That is much more helpful info for her than your previous, clarifying info. Please allow me to repair my false, encouraging, good for nothing statement:

Exercise builds muscle..... Muscle "is much more dense" than fat..... Muscle eats fat..... Muscle up + weight "stays the same" + fat down + inches down= not flabby, very good!

Good luck Aliciab, I hope your scales start moving again!

Thank you to all of you. I already knew that a pound of muscle does not weigh more than a pound of fat. It's a question of mass. I was looking for encouragement. The good news is that the scale is already moving again : ).

Not everyone on here is a stranger to the gym. I've done cardio and sculpting for 10 years, my brother is a trainer. We all have our reasons for why we've had the surgery.

It's good news that scale has started moving. Keep on doing exercise and don't forget to pay attention to your diet. Always have a healthy diet plus stay away from junk foods.

I needed to see this to remind myself of what I already knew. It is frustrating when you want the scale to move and it doesn't. I will just keep doing what I am doing and it will drop before I know it. I have lost 50 pounds so far that I will never see again, so I can stop my snivelling and get on with it. ; )

Take care,

Jen

Glad to know the scales started moving again b/c I have started to get frustrated. I'm stuck and so far no scale movements.. Looking back I should have started with the tape measure so I could tell if its coming off in inches or what..

Glad to know the scales started moving again b/c I have started to get frustrated. I'm stuck and so far no scale movements.. Looking back I should have started with the tape measure so I could tell if its coming off in inches or what..

Gee, we are on the same boat. I'm thinking about goin over to the Lido deck for a little R&R.

Seriously, I've given up on the scale for the time being. I'm doing my P90X and go to the gym for additional work too. The clothes I buy are smaller each time I buy and tighter fitting too. So, it's all good.

Can I clarify something? Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 lb of muscle is equal to 1 lb of fat. They are both 1 lb. The difference is 1lb of muscle is denser than 1 lb of fat, therefore it takes up less space.

While this is true, because she wasn't working out beforehand, the likeliest cause for the lack of any weight lost is due to muscular Water retention. It's pretty amazing what a few sessions with good 'ole Tony can do . ;)