Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The day after

Just wondered how I might feel the day after the surgery. How many of you felt like walking around sightseeing, or shopping? How many felt like sitting on the beach? How many felt like sleeping in bed all day? What can I expect?

You don't even want me to comment on my day after, but I wasn't very typical. I had "special" circumstances. Ughhhh....

As for day 3 after surgery, I was painting my laundry room and pantry. Slowly and patiently, but still painting it. I was back to work by day 5 (again, slowly and patiently). By day 8-9 I was well on my way to doing anything light walking and moving and shakin'.

By week 4 I was back to full duty as a police officer but I think that Week 6 would have suited me better. It was still a little too soon for the full activity.

Week 7 was doing exercise and low impact aerobics. I took it easy on the stretching, pulling and jumping though until week 10. By 3 months, I was jogging a bit, not very far, but still jogging. Then by 3 months and one week I was fighting with my own mind to get off my lazy ass and go do something. Months 4-7 went well, then I reverted back to month 3 and 1 week activity.

well personally speaking, i certainly didn't feel like shopping or sightseeing. i was in a lot of gas pain and really just wanted to sit on my heating pad. i did get up and walk as much as possible because it seemed to help the gas pains. i chewed alot of gas ex and followed up with maloxx. just make sure you go slow. i took 3 tsp back to back and ended up dry heaving. omg that was painful. anyway it is 4 days after and i am feeling alot better. I am at my office today working.

good luck on your procedures!

K

The day after, in the noon time i went to the mall to start walking of the gas. And that night went out to dinner with my wife, I had Soup broth.

Everyone is different. one lady that had the surgery the same day as me started complaining right away and wanted the band taken right back out. (however, she complained about everything before at the hotel)

The day after surgery I was still somewhat sleepy, and my abdomen hurt far too much for much walking. Getting in and out of the recliner, hiccups, coughs, sneezes, etc. were agony. My back hurt because my tendency was to walk stopped over like an old lady to keep my staples from pulling.

If you're thinking about planning a vacation the day after surgery, my advice would be to postpone it. I think you'll be glad you did.

I did not have any gas, nausea, etc. but a LOT of people do and simply hurt too much to leave their house.

I certainly wasn't up to shopping the day after surgery... it was tough making the long ride home mostly because I was uncomfortable sitting in the same position for an extended period of time. My husband stopped often to let me get out and walk around. I found that I just tired more easily and had to take it a little slower. On day five we made the long drive back for my post-op check and I decided we should go to the Milwaukee Zoo after my appointment.... I was completely exhausted after a partial day of walking around the park but boy did I sleep good that night!

I stayed doped up on vicodin the day after surgery. I had surgery a week ago and still experiencing horrible gas pain in my left shoulder, my doc said this could last for ten days. Most people only have this for a very short period of time. I do walk eventhough it hurts to be in an upright position, I am trying to do whatever I have to in order to rid my body of this pain.

I went sight seeing and shopping the day after surgery. I did over do it a little and was sore & tired the day after that.

I worked a half day the day after surgery, and full days after that.

Played tennis on day 8 and racquetball on day 9.

i felt pretty darn sore the day after...i def didnt want to do anything except rest. I was pretty doped up on pain meds and they actually made me feel worse then better. If i could do it all over again i would def lay off the pain meds....like i would have tried to ween myself off of them alot sooner and just deal with the pain. I think by like the 4th day i was feeling well enough to go out and do stuff...but i had alot of gas pain in my shoulder as well...and that made it sooo hard for me to feel 100% better. NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE GAS PAIN...that was the worst part in my opinion!

The day after, I was content to rest and I used the heating pad alot for gas pains. It wasn't the worst pain I've ever had. Lots easier than the hysterectomy! As for shopping, no...I think I drove on the 4th day after, if I remember correctly.

So much depends on personal and individual inclination...are you a toughie? Or a mushie? I'm sort of in between, leaning toward tough. I think I did some laundry and light house stuff, just because I was bored! Listen to your body...do what you have to do!

Good luck! Cindy

I guess I had it pretty easy. I didn't have gas pain like the other 90%. I had plenty of gas though. I wasn't much fun the day after. I was pretty uncomfortable. Just shifting around to get standing was difficult. I didn't bend over for a week.

It was a little more painful than my C-section. I described the first week to my family by saying that it felt like I bought an expensive car, then crashed it. I spent all that money and only got hurt.

I don't regret it because I know that the only way to get where I want to be is by working with the band. I am learning to love my band.

I think I've progressed alot slower than most people, but I couldn't even leave my house until 11 days after surgery. The day after? Oh no, I was doped up on codiene every four hours like clockwork. The day after that came the horrible nausea. I still can't bend down and I have horrendous gas and I'm two weeks out. So, I really think everyone is very different. It seems I'm at the far end of the bell curve though.

They made me remove the bandages the morning after my surgery and take a hot shower.

That afternoon, the day after surgery, I was taken to the mall and they made me walk around for an hour. My large incision began to bleed slightly and I had a quarter size blood stain on my shirt by the end of my little walk-about. It must have looked weird, but I didnt care because the narcotic pain killers were working great!!