Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery: How Will Your Body Respond If Your A Workout Warrior?

Bandsters:

Many thanks for chiming in. I know my question is strange because most people (who get the lapband) you wouldn't consider them an excertise guru. But I love working out...alot actually! If I had my way....I would be there 3 hours a day. Used to lift alot of weights...but I mostly concentrate on cardio for the last 4 years.

Maybe...that has contributed to my weight gain from 2005 - 2012 (212lbs to 290lbs currently)...outside of moving from a warm weather climate to cold and alot more stressed out (eating more comfort foods, and noticed I have drank in moderation more than before)"..

Regardless, I"m curious as how my body will respond with the band....while I maintain my regular work out schedule. I absolutely love working out, so I'm trying to anticipate how my body will respond with little food and lots of excercise. Anybody else fit this category as maybe the could shed some light on this?

P.S. I know its a tough question (as every person's body is different) but I'm sure other bandsters fit this category and wanted to pick their brain as to how their body responded. Or...maybe you know someone who fits this category....and you observed how they responded. Any "general trends/observations" that you noticed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Bandsters...YOU ROCK !

Thoughts/Opinions?

I'll give it a shot- I've always been "fat fit" if you know what I mean. My problem is I always overate- because I exercised, so I could. yah, that didn't work out so well.

I am back working out pretty heavily- not as heavily as you, but 6 days a week usually for at least 40 minutes, sometimes an hour- and I'm eating between 1000-1300 calories a day.

So far I haven't been hungry really- banded 1/26/12, and have excellent powerful workouts where I can really give my all. I don't feel hungry all the time even after i workout. Don't have the "I worked out so I can eat 5000 calories" mentality any more. I've lost 52 lbs so far.

YMMV

Don't have the "I worked out so I can eat 5000 calories" mentality any more. I've lost 52 lbs so far.

YMMV

Thats interesting you say this...because most of the time (after I work out) I have this INSANE HIGH (big stress reliever) and I think I'm invisable and can eat (or drink) anything and its not a big deal. Again...nothing too extreme [in terms of consuption] in either case....but you get the point. The problem is....is I work out late at night because of my wife's schedule.....so I got this insane high from working out...and I tend to eat later at night.

So it sounds like....you had the same mentality I do now [in terms of feeling invicable) after working out. Why do you think you don't feel hungry after working out? Do you eat before working out? Maybe that has helped you ....

Thoughts?

Hmmmm... I'd think you'd shed weight like crazy! Good Luck!

Do you have a Protein Shake right after working out? I've read that if consumed within 30 minutes after our workout, it can help maximize your metabolism. I would think that it would also alleviate some of that hunger. My Protein Shakes fill me up for quite a while.

I started out weighing almost 330 pounds and I now weigh 124 pounds. When I first started working out after being banded I ate about 1000 calories a day And worked out 5 days a week for 2-3 hours and the other 2 days I at least walked 3 miles with my dogs I did fine on 1000 calories my body had plenty of extra fuel and I wanted to tap it. Now that I'm at goal I still work out just as much but I eat around 1500-1600 calories a day since I have depleted my extra fuel ;-)

I started out weighing almost 330 pounds and I now weigh 124 pounds. When I first started working out after being banded I ate about 1000 calories a day And worked out 5 days a week for 2-3 hours and the other 2 days I at least walked 3 miles with my dogs I did fine on 1000 calories my body had plenty of extra fuel and I wanted to tap it. Now that I'm at goal I still work out just as much but I eat around 1500-1600 calories a day since I have depleted my extra fuel ;-)

That is insane.....was it easy to stay at 1000 calories after being banded and still maintaining that 5 days a week workout? I'm curious as to how your hunger was after being banded and working out for that long.

Thanks for responding !

Blessings !

That is insane.....was it easy to stay at 1000 calories after being banded and still maintaining that 5 days a week workout? I'm curious as to how your hunger was after being banded and working out for that long.

Thanks for responding !

Blessings !

Yes it was easy to eat only 1000 calories with proper restriction... By eating whole foods I was able to eat a lot of food for low calories example skinless baked or grilled chicken breast is only 120 calories add in steamed vegetables for 60 calories so thats only 180 calories for dinner and had 32 grams of protien in it for lunch grilled salmon 233 calories some steamed spinach and a small red potato only add in 70 calories plus 30 more grams of protien Breakfast a piece of Ezekiel bread 2 egg whites and 1 ounce of low fat cheese is 154 calories and 14 grams of protien. So my total for the day is 637 calories that left me with room for 2 Snacks like an apple with PB2 spread, raw almonds, popcorn ect. My total grams of protien hit at least 76. I did have to learn to enjoy my vegetables without dressing and so on but it kept my calories low plus now I love the taste of all kinds of food in the way they were intended to be eaten don't get me wrongI still have butter but only a portion I still have steak but then a smaller lunch. I enjoy dessert too I just made sure my meals for the day were lean and green plus with a big calorie deficit I could afford some and I made it count I got what I really wanted and enjoyed it.

I never felt shaky like I said before my body tapped my extra fuel (fat) now I do get shaky if I don't keep my calories up but that's easy to do lol! I hoped this helps feel free to ask me more questions if you have some.

Cheers

Yes it was easy to eat only 1000 calories with proper restriction... By eating whole foods I was able to eat a lot of food for low calories example skinless baked or grilled chicken breast is only 120 calories add in steamed vegetables for 60 calories so thats only 180 calories for dinner and had 32 grams of protien in it for lunch grilled salmon 233 calories some steamed spinach and a small red potato only add in 70 calories plus 30 more grams of protien Breakfast a piece of Ezekiel bread 2 egg whites and 1 ounce of low fat cheese is 154 calories and 14 grams of protien. So my total for the day is 637 calories that left me with room for 2 Snacks like an apple with PB2 spread, raw almonds, popcorn ect. My total grams of protien hit at least 76. I did have to learn to enjoy my vegetables without dressing and so on but it kept my calories low plus now I love the taste of all kinds of food in the way they were intended to be eaten don't get me wrongI still have butter but only a portion I still have steak but then a smaller lunch. I enjoy dessert too I just made sure my meals for the day were lean and green plus with a big calorie deficit I could afford some and I made it count I got what I really wanted and enjoyed it.

I never felt shaky like I said before my body tapped my extra fuel (fat) now I do get shaky if I don't keep my calories up but that's easy to do lol! I hoped this helps feel free to ask me more questions if you have some.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing Vanilla....anybody else have a similar experience or have you worked out alot after you got the band. If so....how did your body respond?

I've always exercised a lot too but cutting down to 1000 calories didn't really make difference in my ability to exercise. I add in more weights because I want to keep and build as much lean mass as I can as I lose weight.

The only thing I found difficult since the lapband is the inability to chug Water during my workout. I can sip water/take regular swallows but I can't just down it like I'm used to so I find I get dehydrated easier. So now I try to drink continuously before my workout, during, and after.

Also, sit-ups at certain angles makes my port hurt a bit.

I will say that I was dizzy when I started working out intensely. I was advised to use a heavy duty Protein Shake after workout. Used the anabolic 60 (GNC). Up your Fluid intake.

I've always exercised a lot too but cutting down to 1000 calories didn't really make difference in my ability to exercise. I add in more weights because I want to keep and build as much lean mass as I can as I lose weight.

The only thing I found difficult since the lapband is the inability to chug Water during my workout. I can sip water/take regular swallows but I can't just down it like I'm used to so I find I get dehydrated easier. So now I try to drink continuously before my workout, during, and after.

Also, sit-ups at certain angles makes my port hurt a bit.

Interesting about your Water intake. I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

I was advised to use a heavy duty Protein shake after workout. Used the anabolic 60 (GNC). Up your Fluid intake.

Many thanks for the tip !

Anybody experience anything else similar?

Presurgery I was doing 1 hr off moderate swimming 7 days per week and lost 80 pounds. Post op I did not get restriction for 6 months. I went back to the gym day five. When I got laid off in Jan. and figured I had nothing else to do (other than my job search of course!) so I might as well work out twice a week. With the cost of gas I did'nt want to drive there twice a day; so found a good walk loop at my house. So 3 days a week I do about 3 1/2 mile walk in the morning and then go to Water aerobics in the afternoon. The other four days I will do one or the other. When I was working I had a long time between lunch and dinner (lunch at 12:00 dinner at 8 or after.) so I would have a premier ready made shake for a snack (160 cals 30 g of protein).

Keep in mind preop I was on a very restrictive diet. I have only had one situation where my blood suger (I am not diabetic) really really crashed. And that was because I forgot my Protein shake and had not eatenn in 7 hours.

My Nutrionist does not have a problem with me eating dinner at 8:00 because I don't really have a choice based on my work schedule. I go to the gym before dinner because if I eat before working out (esp if I come home) no way I'm heading back out to the gym. Her comment was it's more about your food choices than the time you are eating it (I sure A LOT of people with disagree with me on this). When people tell her they eat late at night they admit to choosing pizza, burgers, nachos. I eat 3 oz skinless chicken breast and raw veggies for dinner.

When my doctor wanted me to go on a 500 cal. diet pre op I asked how would I have the energy to exercise. The response you have enough fat to power your body for a long time. Gee thanks.

Bandsters:

Many thanks for chiming in. I know my question is strange because most people (who get the lapband) you wouldn't consider them an excertise guru. But I love working out...alot actually! If I had my way....I would be there 3 hours a day. Used to lift alot of weights...but I mostly concentrate on cardio for the last 4 years.

Maybe...that has contributed to my weight gain from 2005 - 2012 (212lbs to 290lbs currently)...outside of moving from a warm weather climate to cold and alot more stressed out (eating more comfort foods' date=' and noticed I have drank in moderation more than before)"..

Regardless, I"m curious as how my body will respond with the band....while I maintain my regular work out schedule. I absolutely love working out, so I'm trying to anticipate how my body will respond with little food and lots of excercise. Anybody else fit this category as maybe the could shed some light on this?

P.S. I know its a tough question (as every person's body is different) but I'm sure other bandsters fit this category and wanted to pick their brain as to how their body responded. Or...maybe you know someone who fits this category....and you observed how they responded. Any "general trends/observations" that you noticed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Bandsters...YOU ROCK !

Thoughts/Opinions?[/quote']

I'm a workout guru too. I have lost lots of weight before, just could never keep it off, so over the years have gotten an exercise plan for myself. Before surgery, I lost 37 pounds partly due to my exercise. I hate that I can't do weights for 6 long weeks. I'm going back to walking next week. I'm only 10 days post op, so I am wondering too. But I think my metabolism has been boosted which is helping me lose weight now that I'm not exercising too. Weight restriction is 10 pounds, so I'm doing some light weight starting tomorrow.