Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery: Do You Have Problems With Carb Addiction ?

Bandsters:

Was curious....after you get the surgery...we all know you can't eat as much (especially not as many carbs such as bread and pasta) which brings me to this question:

1) After having the surgery, do you go through "carb withdrawls" and is hard for you to adjust not eating as many carbs?

I've heard people saying "head hunger" alot but (to me anyway) this is just a case of "missing taste" and that can be easily be solved by a nice Soup or something with a little salt. However, not having as many carbs...this is a whole nother question. Being that I've had carb withdrawls in the past before....I'm wondering what its going to be like after surgery?

Thoughts/Opinions?

Thanks Bandsters !

Bandsters:

Was curious....after you get the surgery...we all know you can't eat as much (especially not as many carbs such as bread and pasta) which brings me to this question:

1) After having the surgery, do you go through "carb withdrawls" and is hard for you to adjust not eating as many carbs?

I've heard people saying "head hunger" alot but (to me anyway) this is just a case of "missing taste" and that can be easily be solved by a nice Soup or something with a little salt. However, not having as many carbs...this is a whole nother question. Being that I've had carb withdrawls in the past before....I'm wondering what its going to be like after surgery?

Thoughts/Opinions?

Thanks Bandsters !

If you have been used to eating bad carbs beforehand then you will have withdrawal from them. With or without the band there is a withdrawal as the body craves the bad carbs. You should be eating good carbs anyway. just in smaller amounts. its the sugar and over processing in the bad carbs that causes the body to become addicted. I still crave some fat. its winter time here. i have a little ripe cheese every day. that satisfies me. i dont have much. im more sensitive to withdrawal from fat than from sugar based foods. WE are all different.

I was always a potato, chips, bread carb guy. I like sweets but I'm not missing them and I do give myself a couple of Dove dark chocolate pieces a week. They're only 40 calories. I miss french fries and a good sandwich occasionally. But, I never had the withdrawals. There's plenty of carbs(good ones) in carrots, nuts, Beans and many veggies so I get enough. I try to keep them all on the low side of the Glycemic Index scale.

tmf

Unlike 2muchfun, I am a sweets kinda gal. I usually try to satisfy my sweet tooth with fresh fruit, but I do occasionally indulge. I did not have any physical symptoms (headache, etc) from any type of withdrawals. I think the most common one is sugar/caffeine.

I think the most common one is sugar/caffeine.

What...are you not suppose to drink caffeine with the band? My thinking...coffee was ok....and you will still technically get the same amount of caffeine from coffee as before?

Any other thoughts out there?

No, caffiene is fine, in moderation of course.

tmf

This is part of the reason I'm trying to cut carbs now, before surgery. I want post-op to be as stress free as possible!

What...are you not suppose to drink caffeine with the band? My thinking...coffee was ok....and you will still technically get the same amount of caffeine from coffee as before?

i still have caffeinated coffee but not as much now. smaller cups for a start.

This is part of the reason I'm trying to cut carbs now, before surgery. I want post-op to be as stress free as possible!

Sounds like there is not alot of stress related to taking in less carbs post surgery.

P.S. Can anybody confirm this ?

Sounds like there is not alot of stress related to taking in less carbs post surgery.

Only if your thing was simple carbs? If you're one of the bandsters who had to have 3 liters of coke every day or a pint of ice cream, chocolate cake? You might have withdrawals. But it's not going to be all that bad. It's not like coming off heroin or Meth(I wouldn't know).

tmf

My surgeon said no caffeine because it could cause ulcers, and having wieght loss surgery we are already at risk for them.

Really.....is this true? First I've heard of this claim of an increase rate of having ulcers ??? Something doesn't seem right about this....but in terms of caffeine....my caffeine comes from coffee....like the other poster said....caffeine in moderation I'm sure is fine.. .....

Thoughts?

I was saying that most who experience "withdrawal" symptoms do so from things like caffeine or sugar. I was told not to drink any caffeinated beverages (coffees) for 2 to 3 weeks post op, and to refrain from soda as much as possible.

It really depends on who your surgeon is. Some are pretty strict in a low carb diet and others are not. I think the main focus is that you are getting proper nutrition, and due to the small amount you can eat, you need to eat right from the start. I always focus on Protein first and then have other things if I have room.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/333816-caffeine-stomach-ulcers/

http://www.healthy.net/Health/Article/Effects_of_Caffeine_and_Coffee_on_Heartburn_Acid_Reflux_Ulcers_and_GERD/2396

Here are a couple of websites that explain how in some cases caffeine is associated with ulcers. I am sure it is just in extreme cases but if you already experience reflux or IBS ( like I do), it might be best to stay away from it.

Help!!! I had surgery on march 19. I have not had any restriction until now!! I had my first fill and could still eat a lit!! Then two weeks ago i had another fill. I felt a little different but was able to eat. Well today i went again for a fill. I got home and tried to eat and it got stuck or something. Im in sooo much pain and im miserable right now. Slime in my mouth. Sick. Hurts!! Help!!