Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying A Protein Shake Tonight To See If I Like It

Not banded yet. I see my surgeon Thursday, woohoo. Tonight I'm going to try EAS Advantage strawberry Protein Shake, I'm freezing it a little first. Trying different ones first to see what I can tolerate for my pre-op diet. Hope I like it. This is the brand my doctor recommended. Anyone else had these?

I've had the chocolate ones. To me, they are the best pre-made ones. However, I much prefer Protein Powder to mix in with my almond milk. There's some kind of after-taste with the pre-made ones. But they are tolerable. I use EAS 100% whey Protein powder in chocolate flavor. Its in a purple container. Best wishes for you on your appointment this week!

So u dont have to take slim fast u can choose other drinks? Or is it up to the surgeon?

Slim fast is usually not acceptable because of the high sugar/fat/carb ratio to a small amount of Protein. If you use slim fast, you need to use the low carb high Protein version. Just make sure that you can get all of your recommended protein each day (70g+ usually) with whatever shake you use.

Premier Protein chocolate shakes are good (somewhat bland) and have 30g protein per shake. I like to add sugar free syrups to them to change the flavor. I recently got PB2 powder, but have yet to use it in shakes as I'd rather eat my food and not drink it :)

Thanks and all i know is the nurse called today and said slim fast for two weeks and only one meal a day!

I never found a Protein power that I really "liked", so I went to using the SF syrups and those are great at covering up the taste....now they are more like a dessert than a substitute.

can I ask a really stupid question here, exactly what kind of sugar free syrups are out there that you try? Flavorings or syrups like choc. and strawberry syrups that go on ice cream? I was at Walmart today when I bought the Protein shakes and I didn't see the powder in the container, hm??? Verdict on the shake---I gagged. The initial taste wasn't that bad but after drinking the slushy mess for a minute I almost threw it up. Are they all like this? I have to do this 3 times day for 2 weeks pre-op, but then I gag and sometimes throw up brushing my teeth, can't help it. I also have a weak stomach to certain smells and textures like tofu, gross. I will get my Protein in when I get into real foods in the form of meats and fish, mostly fish, I love grilled or baked fish. I bound and determined to do this pre-op diet even if I have to hold my nose, I do not want complications for the surgeon. Thanks ChrissyLu on wishing me luck on my appt this week.

Donna

I have an open to the public restaurant supply store in my area, so I buy the Torini sugar free syrups. You could also order online.

I would recommend going to a supplement store and buying the sample packs of flavors so you can find one you like without having to buy a whole container.

My favorite so far is nectar in the chocolate Truffle flavor. 26g of Protein in 8oz (I bought the powder and mixed with skim milk) and it just tastes like chocolate milk. Almost felt guilty drinking it!

I also like the nectar chocolate Truffle. They also have a flavor called Fuzzy Navel that's not too bad and there's 0 sugar and 0 fat in them. I had a hard time blending them, especially the Fuzzy Navel flavor. When I put it in the blender it would get all foamy which would make it hard for me to drink. But, my Mom gave me the idea of making them ahead of time and putting them back in the fridge for a day so all the foam would go away. Good luck!