Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck? Or Just Full?

If I overate a bit at lunch at 2:30pm, there's no way I'd still be feeling stuffed full and nauseous and burping at 11:30pm just cause I overate, right?

Is this a stuck episode?? I don't feel stuck, I guess, but maybe this is what stuck feels like... I don't know how to read my body anymore... I don't get the chest tightening when I'm full, which makes me think I don't have restriction, so I don't know how much is too much to eat. I'm just sort of eating until I can't, which I know is probably totally wrong.

I feel like such a lost newbie!!

Should I try to throw up? Ugh. I feel lousy!!!

What kind of food is stuck? Overeating shouldn't cause you to be stuck. Not chewing adequately, large bites, dry chicken, beef are all foods that can get stuck for a while.

tmf

Don't go throw up. Do you have a sip of pineapple juice? I would not eat on top of this feeling. Take it slow and get back on your full liquids till this feeling goes away...maybe call doc in morning. Ate you so bad in pain?

I had baked salmon, mashed potatoes and some grilled vegetables... I feel like I've got a lump in my throat and I haven't eaten in 9 hours because I haven't wanted to at all!! Had some tea, and am trying to drink part of a Protein Shake, but it's not feeling good...

I sometimes measure a lot of my food. I try to limit to a cup or 1 1/2 cups in my earlier months. Try to remover those silent type stops. Or practice stopping before you get full feeling and just wait. My nutritionist had to remind me to SLOW down wen eating.

Don't go throw up. Do you have a sip of pineapple juice? I would not eat on top of this feeling. Take it slow and get back on your full liquids till this feeling goes away...maybe call doc in morning. Ate you so bad in pain?

I'm not so much in pain as really nauseous... It's like a mucus lump in my throat, and I have been wanting/trying to burp for hours, but can't get a good burp going.... I can go out and buy some pineapple juice, but it's almost midnight and I should be going to sleep soon. Though lying down doesn't feel so good anyway, so maybe I should go out...

This will likely sound really weird, but when I'm stuck I bend deeply at the waist and stretch downward. While I'm stretched I try to make myself burp. Sometimes a gentle bounce or two while bent and stretched will force the burp.

Most of the time, it helps.

(told you it was weird lol)

I would say you've probably irritated your band. I would not purposely try to throw up, but instead try to wait it out. In the future, you should keep an eye on portion sizes because if you are eating til full, you are probably eating too much.

Realistically, the band should hold about 1 cup of food. By starting good habits now and measuring food, you will prevent some possible hardship down the road (trust me, having a stuck episode is very unpleasant). If you need to, eat more often throughout the day but try to keep the portions small.

This will likely sound really weird, but when I'm stuck I bend deeply at the waist and stretch downward. While I'm stretched I try to make myself burp. Sometimes a gentle bounce or two while bent and stretched will force the burp.

Hey, I'm game!! So what, bend down to touch my toes and try to burp? Ok, I'm gonna try it! Hope I don't throw up on my toes. hehehe!

Yes, you could still be full. There are times when I can only eat one major meal a day. If I try to eat anything else, I get that "stuck" feeling.

sadly no big burp... got a few smaller burps, but nothing satisfying... Will keep trying.

Hi there,

It has been quite a while since my last post...(nearly 3 yrs !!).......

but i find myself in a similar situation - not sure if I am too tight from a recent tiny fill (0.1 ml...yes seriously!!) or if i have pork mince stuck from 4 days ago....... I had 0.25ml removed earlier in the yrs - got too thin after illness and felt like crap. before that I had not needed a fill in 18 months and felt good. I needed to gain some weight back. that worked a treat - 7 kgs up, but all i wanted was about 3.5......trouble was I was starting to eat bigger portions, then look for more food in between meals.

So i had 0.1ml put back in last week .....would you seriously think that would make a difference? YUP !!! it slowed me down and whilst I could still eat most things i was eating less volume. Then 3 days later i had a meal with pork mince and ate quite a decent amount.....I have not been able to keep anything down since - not even Soup....... starting to get tired and crabby now. lots and lots of sliming happening and constantly feeling my mouth filling with salivia when i go to bed - having to sleep upright...... Not sure whether to try the suggestion of pineapple juice, or go back and have the tiny amount removed again.... ARGHHHHH...really don't want to do that either.

Has anyone else who has been banded for quite a few yrs found themselves in this situation???? any suggestions ???

Cheers

big mumma

In the future, you should keep an eye on portion sizes because if you are eating til full, you are probably eating too much. Realistically, the band should hold about 1 cup of food.If you need to, eat more often throughout the day but try to keep the portions small.

I think this is very good advice. I haven't been measuring anything, and I'm quite sure (and was at the time) that I overate... I am a binge eater. I don't like snacking. Hell, I don't really like food all that much and can easily go 12-14 hours without eating anything. But when I eat, I eat huge portions. I knew you could eat around the band, but I guess I really did think that the one thing the band would do is stop me from being able to overeat in one sitting... But if I can overeat and will just feel like this? I guess I'm going to start measuring.

The only time I have gotten a stuck feeling is when I have tried bread products or if I do not chew well enough. I have experienced the feeling that if I take another bite I will regret it, but only twice in the first few days since my last fill.

Honestly I find if I focus 100% on my food and eat slowly, I do not need to eat large portions to be satisfied. Of course, there are days when the fatty in me just wants to throw a hissy because there's food left on the plate.

It's all a learning game, and so we will all learn in our own time. I think tonight you are feeling a positive feedback from your band telling you that you overdid it.