Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Training, Yay Or Nay???

Ok, here's the deal. I'm 7weeks post op and down 23lbs. I've hot a plateau so it's time to start exercising. I know cardio is a MUST, but what about weight training? Im scared I'm gonna gain weight! Are there any banders out there that weight train and have lost a significant amount of weight??

I do both cardio and weight training. I started the weight training 2 months .I lost 9 inches the first month and am due to be measured this week. I lost 5 lbs first month and as of today I have lost another 4.6 lbs on my scales. I work out under the supervion of a trainer, he alternates between my arms and lower body and I do abs (crunches every time I go) To date I have lost about 103 lbs. I am 19 months post op.

Awesome! Thanks! And congrats on it loss, thats amazing! I don't know why I think I'm gonna gain weight! I think as long as I'm eating my 1200 cals or less a day I HAVE to lose!

If anything, weight training will help you lose weight even faster. Muscle burns more calories than fat. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting still. Plus, women have to work incredibly hard to bulk up, muscle-wise.

Hit those weights, woman! Just make sure you give your muscles time to heal between workouts. Try alternating upper body and lower body workouts.

Definitely a good start!

My last trainer used to send out motivational emails and one of my favorite exercise quotes ever is, "No matter how slow you go, you're running laps around the person on the couch." :)

Hi there...You are doing great! I am 5 weeks post op and my doctor and nutritionist told me no weight training yet. It takes our bodies awhile to heal. She said to wait a few more weeks with the weights but to do cardio...

I do weights 3 times a week and cardio 5-6 times a week. When I first started the weight training I had to adjust my diet. My trainer told me I was not eating enough Protein and I was losing muscle mass and I needed more lean protein to build muscle. So I used to eat between 60-70 gms of protein a day and now I eat between 90-120 gms perday but same calorie count. I try to stay between 1000-1200 calories but sometimes I don't hit that I am ususally under in calories. I eat 3 meals a day and have two Protein Shakes aday. I do the shakes between Breakfast and lunch and another between lunch and dinner. Basically I eat a weight training diet, oatmeal with egg whites for breakfast, lean meat and veggies for lunch and dinner and two protein shakes a day. Boring but it has been working for me. I did gain two pounds when I first started working out but I think that was my body adjusting to the new diet but lost it and 3 more the first month. I dropped 3% body fat the first month. Excited to get measured this week because I know I have lost more inches. Just excited to see what my % body fat is now. I can see a difference in my arms and abdomen mainly, the thighs are coming but they are slower. Good luck and have fun and enjoy. Just remember to give your body time to rest between workouts, i alterante days and muscle groups. 30 minutes is a good work out. Enjoy and have fun!

My doctor just told me that I should be doing weight training. One of the most successful weight loss success stories lost weight when she started alternating cardio with weights. She lost over 200 pounds doing that!! That was good enough to convince me. I start at the gym in June. He also said not to worry about bulking up- women weren't made for that without steroids or massive amounts (more than we eat or drink!) of Protein.< /p>

Let me say first I never thought I was capable of weight training. Not only does it make me feel strong, but I'm losing inches. I don't do heavy weights it's core training, I do five reps of ten in a circuit style from machine to free weights including sit-ups on excercise ball. My stomach is shrinking and legs are tightening up. My arms aren't hanging like before. It has been a huge lifestyle change I am embracing. Good luck!

I am also 7 weeks post op... 20 lbs lost and have hit a plateau. :( I just joined a gym and start my work outs tomorrow. I've lost weight before using a mostly cardio workout and Everytime I added weight training I would gain... So I understand exactly how you feel.

I haven't been counting calories though. So I should probably incorporate that as well.

We should keep in touch in each others progress with exercise.

Good luck!

Strength training is awesome! I was told I may gain some weight once I started, but I didn't. I think it really just depends. And even if you do, just know that it's temporary. The benefits are totally worth a temporary weight gain! I believe strength training is necessary because although you would lose weight with just cardio, your body will look odd. Oh and definitely ask the doc before starting on the weights. I had to wait 2 months I think. Good luck!

If anything, weight training will help you lose weight even faster. Muscle burns more calories than fat. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting still. Plus, women have to work incredibly hard to bulk up, muscle-wise.

Hit those weights, woman! Just make sure you give your muscles time to heal between workouts. Try alternating upper body and lower body workouts.

Exactly what I was going to say. The more muscle u have the more calories ur body will burn every day!

Also when I do weights I do it more of a circut style. Low weight high rep. I have a workout round timer on my phone that plays with my music. I do 18 sets/50 secs each with a 15 sec rest to get to the next machine :) it's more of a cardio style of weight training bc it keeps ur heart rate up. Love it :)