Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I haven't been on lately, but I wanted to stop by and post on my progress. I am 6 months out from surgery as of today (11/21/11). As of today, I have lost 79 pounds. 14 of those pounds were on the pre op diet, so since surgery, I have lost 65 pounds. I have soo happy and my life has already changed so much! I began at 259 and now weigh 180. My doctor looks at me in amazement every time I go in. He said I should be a trainer or how to lose weight with the lapband lol. Honestly though, I am super duper strict. I eat really well, count my calories, and go to the gym 5 times a week. I also jog 3 times a week. I now only have to see my doctor every other month (which saves me money). I know most people go this route because they don't want to feel like they are on a diet. However, the band has taught me how to choose the right foods for my body and I no longer want the junk (although I do splurge on occasion). I no longer have pain in my legs when I get up from my desk either. I'm also one of the lucky ones whose hair has not fallen out. I make sure to keep my Protein between 50 to 90 grams a day, and I believe that's why. I also try to keep my carbs below 100. This is a complete lifestyle change for me and I'm so excited. The one thing I have laxed on is the Vitamins, which I have to start back up. I ran out and just haven't bought more. I still try to take my Calcium when I remember. My main piece of advice for anyone thinking about this surgery, is to please make sure that you are ready mentally for the change. If you are not, you will not succeed. I still have 40 more pounds I'd like to lose. I know my weightloss will start to slow down, but I would love to be at my goal weight by time my 1 year anniversary comes along. If you have any questions, please let me know! That's the reason I'm posting. I am so thankful for those who were around to help answer MY questions. So consider me at your disposal! I've uploaded a pic of me from last week. I was getting ready for an interview. Please ignore the hair! lol. Unfortunately, I don't have any "before" pictures because like most of you I'm sure, I avoided the camera like the plague.

Ok so for some reason it won't let me upload the picture. Sorry!! :-/

Wow! Great job. Thanks for the inspirational post. Keeps me motivated 1 week out. Did you lose a lot right out of surgery, or did you really start to lose once you had restriction? I only lost 2 pounds this week so I was kind of bummed, but trying to think postive that any loss is a good thing.

Wow! Great job. Thanks for the inspirational post. Keeps me motivated 1 week out. Did you lose a lot right out of surgery, or did you really start to lose once you had restriction? I only lost 2 pounds this week so I was kind of bummed, but trying to think postive that any loss is a good thing.

I honestly don't remember losing a lot. I remember people sayin that weight loss would slow down once I got back on to solid food, but that wasn't true for me either. I have been pretty consistent this whole time. I guess it's because I'm super conscious of what I eat, and of the portion sizes, plus the gym. I've been losing an average of 8 to 12 months a month since the beginning. 2 pounds a week is awesome! The month I only lost 8 pounds, my doc was super estactic and that's on a 2 pound of week average. Do NOT be bummed! There will be weeks where you will only lost half a pound (that's how much I've lost since last Monday) and then there will be weeks when you lose 3 to 4 pounds! You have to take the low weeks with the high weeks! Just stay focused and determined, and you will reach your goals in no time! :)

Congratulations!! Sounds like you have a terrific work ethic. Awesome.

Oh and by the way, I've only had two fills since surgery. My band only has about 5 CC's in it and it's a 14 CC band. My doc didn't want to give me another fill unless my weightloss slowed down. Restriction is not consistent for me. Sometimes I feel it, sometimes I don't. I do have an incident every couple of weeks or so. I still can't pin point what causes them. I think it happens when I eat when I'm really really hungry, which causes me to eat more quickly. So yeah. There is another tip for ya! Do NOT eat while you are super hungry! I schedule my meals and Snacks throughout the day. Usually I end up eating something every 2 hours. Makes me sound like a pig, but I'm always below on my calories and I'm never hungry that way.

Thanks- I appreciate the pick-me-up. I lost quite a bit the week before on the pre-op diet (7 lbs), so you are right- I should take the high with the low.

I am so excited for you. I had surgery 2 weeks ago. I lost 18 pounds but 10 was pre opt. I havent lost any the last week. I was told the beginning was for healing but I wanted to keep losing. I have eaten some rice and potatos so listening to you reminded me to keep to the protiens and veggies. That will keep the calories down. What calorie range do you stay in?

I got sick right after surgery with shingles so I was not able to start working out. However, yesturday I did and completed one hour of zumba which I plan to do again today. I am hoping the exercise this week will kick it up again.

I would have quoted your post, but this site gets crazy once a few posts are made. At least, on my computer. Anyways, I would definitely avoid the starches. I LOVE mashed potatoes but avoid it like the plague. Also, rice is small and can get stuck in the band (so I've heard) so I avoid that as well. What I eat the most of is greek yogurt, special k Protein Bars, green tea, salad with chicken, string cheese, and grilled chicken for dinner with cheese or something on top. I do mix it up sometimes, but usually with a day like that, my Protein is really high and my carbs are low. I stay under 1200 calories a day. I didn't start exercising until I was a month and a half out from surgery. Your doc approved Zumba? It's definitely a good workout! Congrats on the surgery!

Thanks! My Dr said I could do whatever felt good. If it started to hurt, stop. So zumba went just fine. I got tired at the end but did not hurt at all. I did ask specifically about zumba and he said, do it until it hurts, then stop. It is the only workout I LOVE to do. The rest of exercise I tolerate. I was doing 90X prior to surgery but I easily get burt out on it b/c the tapes are so long and it gets hard/boring fast. It does wonders for the body though. I felt stronger doing it than anything ever!

I truely hope I can be just like you. I usually get very determined to do things right. I dont usually cheat and like rules to follow. SO the band is right for me. I am hoping the first fill will reduce some cravings and hunger. My first week after surgery was wonderful b/c I just didnt think of food and when I did, I just eat what I thought my body needed (protien) more for survival than enjoyment. I want that feeling back!

WOW !! Awesome thank you soo much for sharing !! I was banded 4/6/12 including preop I've lost 32 lbs.I'm very inspired by ur post !

WOW !! Awesome thank you soo much for sharing !! I was banded 4/6/12 including preop I've lost 32 lbs.I'm very inspired by ur post !

That's awesome bigenuff! You all are doing so great! I'm hoping and praying that I will do well also. My surgery is set for June 12th, and I am super excited. My doctor wants me to wait a month after surgery before exercising, but I'll at least walk. I know that the band isn't a miracle tool that will do all the work for you. But knowing that this time the eating right and exercising will work, is all I can ask for. I'm more than willing to put in the work and effort, I just pray that I get the results that you all are getting. Keep up the great work you guys! You are all truly an inspiration!

AWESOME job!! Congrats on your success and hard work!

Congrats on your weight loss! :)

dionaw

I'm going to be posting some pictures on my blog in a bit in case anyone was interested in seeing what my progress is. Just an FYI!