Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Since 2007 And Still Not At Goal

First year I was banded...it was WONDERFUL I wasn't hungry. NO...always thinking about food, no craving...I thought this is how normal people feel...the skinny ones.

The next year was almost the same...I lost 70 lbs and then the hunger started coming back...I started snacking on small meals through the day...the weight loss stopped.

I would go in (200 miles round trip to see the doctor) to see the Doctor for a fill and pay $200.00 for a "slight fill" I NEVER felt tight and would go back to just staying the same on the scales. I was too ashamed of going back to tell him I was still hungry and didn't fill full. If any of you have been overweight for a long period of your life you will understand how a doctor can make you feel horrible-ashamed of yourself because you're fat...you're weak...not too bright....because you can't loose the weight.

This is how my roll a coaster ride has been banded with this doctor.

I do make good choices and bad choices...but I would never change getting the band. It has helped me keep off 70 lbs. I just haven't been able to get below that.

Long story and this is my question. Is there a way for the doctor to see how much the pouch holds? My doctor tweaks the fill and as long as he can see the Fluid going through on the fluro he says that's good....at $200.00. I can't keep going back for more little tweaks since I have to pay.

Maybe I just need to tell him to fill me tight? He says its all about what I eat...but if that is all it is I wouldn't need the band.

I've thought of changing doctors....any advise?

I've been at this a while and not being at goal is getting old.

Thanks for listening.

I would want to check for a leak. Have the Dr pull all of the Fluid out next time to see how much is there vs his written record.

First year I was banded...it was WONDERFUL I wasn't hungry. NO...always thinking about food, no craving...I thought this is how normal people feel...the skinny ones.

The next year was almost the same...I lost 70 lbs and then the hunger started coming back...I started snacking on small meals through the day...the weight loss stopped.

I would go in (200 miles round trip to see the doctor) to see the Doctor for a fill and pay $200.00 for a "slight fill" I NEVER felt tight and would go back to just staying the same on the scales. I was too ashamed of going back to tell him I was still hungry and didn't fill full. If any of you have been overweight for a long period of your life you will understand how a doctor can make you feel horrible-ashamed of yourself because you're fat...you're weak...not too bright....because you can't loose the weight.

I do make good choices and bad choices...but I would never change getting the band. It has helped me keep off 70 lbs. I just haven't been able to get below that.

Long story and this is my question. Is there a way for the doctor to see how much the pouch holds? My doctor tweaks the fill and as long as he can see the Fluid going through on the fluro he says that's good....at $200.00. I can't keep going back for more little tweaks since I have to pay.

Maybe I just need to tell him to fill me tight? He says its all about what I eat...but if that is all it is I wouldn't need the band.

Thanks for listening.

It sounds to me that you have lost your focus on your goals. I want to point out that the feelings of guilt and shame that you expressed originate with you. No one, not even your doctor can make you feel those feelings...but if you allow it, than you will feel that way when you have an appointment with your doctor.

A good start to getting back on track would be to keep a food journal, and limit your food choices to only the ones which will provide good nutrition. Never add sugar or fat to anything you eat. Avoid processed foods.

You did not mention if you had ever met with a dietitian...if you never have, it would be an excellent idea. If several years have elapsed since meeting with a dietitian, it would be helpful to have an appointment to refresh your memory about the proper choices and menu planning.

Are you getting enough exercise? Not being active enough will stall your weight loss.

You have already proven that you are capable of loosing weight, 70 pounds is nothing to scoff at, and more importantly, you have kept it off. Focus on what you have achieved, and feel good about it. Structure your time, and plan meals in advance so you will have minimal opportunities to stray away from the good choices.

Adopt some positive thinking, and a positive affirmation you can repeat to yourself every time you feel challenged to make the good choices with your diet.

Good luck...I believe you can do this!

Have you tried the 5 day pouch test? This will get you back on track and will also give you an indication if your pouch/band is functioning properly. I will go on this 5 day test every so often just to give the band a break. It works.

Here is the web site for instruction,

http://www.5daypouch...an/theplan.html

Basically, it is just like the prep diet before surgery or after a fill.

Here a clip of it from the site.

"This is the 5-day plan that I have developed and used to determine if my pouch is working and return to that tight newbie feeling. And a bonus to this plan, it helps one get back to the basics of the weight loss surgery diet and it triggers weight loss. Also, it is not difficult to follow and if you are in a stage of carb-cycling it will break this pattern. Sounds pretty good, right?"

My modified version of it is done in 3-4 days.

Day 1 - nothing but Clear liquids all day. Tough to do but well worth it.

Day 2 - 1 liquid Protein shake for Breakfast, 1 liquid Protein Shake for lunch, 1 can of Soup for supper.

Day 3 - Mushies eg. cream of wheat for Breakfast, scrambled eggs for lunch, 1 can of Soup for supper.

Day 4 - Soft Proteins like tuna fish, any kind of fish, Spam. eg. scrambled eggs for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch, soup or other soft Protein for supper.

Day 5 - Start adding harder Proteins - by this day, I get my restriction back and usually return to my regular bandster diet.

You can follow the sites instruction but they ask that you eat much more proteins. I can tell you that if you follow the test, you will get your good restriction back if your pouch/band is working correctly. If not, it's time to visit your doc. jake

First year I was banded...it was WONDERFUL I wasn't hungry. NO...always thinking about food' date=' no craving...I thought this is how normal people feel...the skinny ones.

I would go in (200 miles round trip to see the doctor) to see the Doctor for a fill and pay 200.00 for a "slight fill" I NEVER felt tight and would go back to just staying the same on the scales. I was too ashamed of going back to tell him I was still hungry and didn't fill full. If any of you have been overweight for a long period of your life you will understand how a doctor can make you feel horrible-ashamed of yourself because you're fat...you're weak...not too bright....because you can't loose the weight.

Long story and this is my question. Is there a way for the doctor to see how much the pouch holds? My doctor tweaks the fill and as long as he can see the Fluid going through on the fluro he says that's good....at 200.00. I can't keep going back for more little tweaks since I have to pay.

Thanks for listening.[/quote']

I would first get another doctor that's closer to me !

I was in the same situation as you, they completely unfilled me and started all over again, so far I have lost 53 lbs. Don't get frustrated and don't be embarassed to go to your doctor. I had the mind set that they probably have patients worse off than me.....take it one day at a time and keep up the good work!