Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before Pictures Taken Last Night

What an eye opener.

I've been wavering between depression and hope for the future. I knew I was fat, but seeing myself from all angles in just a bra and shorts was a shock. Seeing my back was especially upsetting. That used to be my "good" side. Now it's all rolls. My boobs look miniscule compared to the size of my gut from the side.

I'm trying to look at these pictures as inspiration. I want to use them to motivate myself.

But at the same time, every time I close my eyes, I see them. The images are burned in my mind.

Before last night, I was in denial over how fat I'd really gotten.

Omg I'm glad u posted this. I was just thinking about a before photo. I haven't taken one yet. I think I'm subconsciously scared to even see it which is why I'm procrastinating. I am getting banded next week. Somehow we can trick ourselves into thinking we're not as fat as we really are...but pictures don't lie. Good luck. You've inspired me to take a before pic tonight yikes!

I know just how you feel. When I was obese, I just did not see anything below my chin when I looked in the mirror. I could only see how big I was in photographs....and I avoided that as much as possible. But one day you'll be glad you have those before photos, to show you how far you've come.

Eyeononderland: I'm sure I can speak for many on this website, you are NOT alone! I just put some photos of myself taken 2 weeks {vacation cruise} before my surgery in January up on the gallery here. There's still one that I haven't put up but keep on my desk to look at from time to time. It's me in a bathing suit on that same cruise. It's awful. Like other's here, many questions I asked myself. When did it happen, Why did it happen and how come I never noticed how bad I looked but other's could? It happened now I'm doing something about it. As are you. When is your surgery date?

Don't get discouraged. Put those pictures away, find a more positive photo of you and use that as your inspiration. We're all here for a reason and it's giving hope to one another. Good luck!

Thanks!

We definitely do manage to fool ourselves, don't we? Otherwise we might never have gotten to the point where we needed WLS.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know I will be glad I took these pics when all is said and done. I can't wait for the say I can take my "after" pics.

Eyeononderland: I'm sure I can speak for many on this website' date=' you are NOT alone! I just put some photos of myself taken 2 weeks {vacation cruise} before my surgery in January up on the gallery here. There's still one that I haven't put up but keep on my desk to look at from time to time. It's me in a bathing suit on that same cruise. It's awful. Like other's here, many questions I asked myself. When did it happen, Why did it happen and how come I never noticed how bad I looked but other's could? It happened now I'm doing something about it. As are you. When is your surgery date?

Don't get discouraged. Put those pictures away, find a more positive photo of you and use that as your inspiration. We're all here for a reason and it's giving hope to one another. Good luck![/quote']

Thank you!

My surgery date hasn't been set yet - almost done with insurance requirements. Hoping for July 25th, but we'll see!

What an eye opener.

I've been wavering between depression and hope for the future. I knew I was fat, but seeing myself from all angles in just a bra and shorts was a shock. Seeing my back was especially upsetting. That used to be my "good" side. Now it's all rolls. My boobs look miniscule compared to the size of my gut from the side.

I'm trying to look at these pictures as inspiration. I want to use them to motivate myself.

But at the same time, every time I close my eyes, I see them. The images are burned in my mind.

Before last night, I was in denial over how fat I'd really gotten.

A "reality check" is one of the best motivators for change! And instead of feeling depressed about your weight, try to redefine those images into ones of temporary and not permanent, because you have a real opportunity to change those images!

I believe I am not alone with other members on this forum who really dislike seeing their "before" pictures. I am still thankful that I am granted an opportunity to revise those images with my diet.

I want to leave the past in the past, and focus on where I am going, not where I have been. I never want to forget where I was, because the past and those images will continue to assist me to remain compliant with my diet and exercise.

Ok I did it. Took the before pics. I don't even recognize myself in these pictures. O.M.G. I don't want to ever be back here again.

Sojourner - Exactly. Definitely focusing on the future and more motivated than ever.

Ok I did it. Took the before pics. I don't even recognize myself in these pictures. O.M.G. I don't want to ever be back here again.

*big hug* I know what you mean. File them away and let's both promise to focus on the future!

I made my husband take my before photos and save on computer but I didn't even look at them. I knew it would take me down a negative worm hole of self loathing. I am already 20 down and in a smaller size of pants after Pre-opt and 2 weeks post. There is success foreseeable!

I made my husband take my before photos and save on computer but I didn't even look at them. I knew it would take me down a negative worm hole of self loathing. I am already 20 down and in a smaller size of pants after Pre-opt and 2 weeks post. There is success foreseeable!

I considered going that route, but I think I needed the wake up call.

Now that I got the DREADED before picture out-of-the-way, I think I'll start taking pictures once a month to see my progress.

I had my husband take monthly progress photos of me (front & side - wish I'd done the back, too). I also logged my body measurements (bust, waist, abdomen, hips, etc.) so I could add up how many inches I was losing and see progress even when the scale didn't show it. And, I kept one fat outfit. When I'm feeling fat, I put it on and laugh because the jeans fall off me.

I had my husband take monthly progress photos of me (front & side - wish I'd done the back' date=' too). I also logged my body measurements (bust, waist, abdomen, hips, etc.) so I could add up how many inches I was losing and see progress even when the scale didn't show it. And, I kept one fat outfit. When I'm feeling fat, I put it on and laugh because the jeans fall off me.[/quote']

Love it! I definitely plan on keeping one pair of pants or something. Hadn't thought of using them for motivation - great idea!

I did my measurements, too. Planning to weigh weekly and measure monthly. I think I'll save the picture taking for milestones - halfway and goal.

Last summer I decided to lose some weight for my daughter's wedding. I planned on taking off 20 but ended up losing 10. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I'd probably never wear again, so I decided to make my dress. I finished just in time for the wedding and was very pleased with myself. The bride was beautiful, the wedding was wonderful and I was happy until the wedding pictures came back. I wanted to dig a hole and hide. I had no idea how large I had gotten. This got me motivated to finally make a decision about having surgery.