Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am investigating LBS. I am really feeling awful and very discouraged about my looks. I feel my husband is embarrassed by me even though he says he isn't. I am embarrassed for him and myself. My Mom is also pushing the natural way but I've tried and had no success in that method lately. I am tired of being fat and feeling like crap all the time. I am 43 years old and have no energy. I have been on a medication for heart palpitations and gained about 50 lbs in just a few months, plus my eating habits are awful. I have gotten very frustrated with dieting and losing a pound in two weeks is just depressing. I was wondering about the port, where it is located on the body and any other information that would be pertinent to someone thinking about getting the surgery. I guess the port is my main concern.

Hello and welcome. The port can be put in several locations. Mine is to the left of my bellybutton sewn to my abdominal muscles. Each surgeon has a preference of where to put it. If location concerns you, you'll have to ask where it will be located. I didn't even think about it.

For other questions... read here... most surgeons do information seminars, attend one or two, then ask away! this is a great place for info.

HI welcome. I am touching my port for you. I am using my right hand a little above the naval to the right. No problem for the port. good luck and keep posting.

My port is about 6 inches above my naval and an inch to the left. It doesn't bother me at all sleeping or moving around and it doesn't show, yet. I got the lap band because I finally came to the realization I was never going to be able to keep weight off through diet alone. I got banded in Oct 11 and so far I consider it a success. Good luck to you!

I didn't ask about the port either! But I am 11 days post op and can't find it myself. My first week checkup I asked my surgeons assistant and he thinks he found it but I still didn't feel it. So at my 2 week appointment the first question I will ask is where it is located. Bethieb, I hope you do decide what is best for you.

I qualified to get a lapband in 2008 but hesitated. Then Hurricane Ike blew through and my sole concern was getting my home back in order. In two years time after Ike I weighed the most ever. I gained at least 20 lbs due to Hurricane stress.Today I weigh 41 lbs less than a year ago and really feel great. I hope I continue on this path,

I decided not to tell a lot of people about my surgery as some were for it and some were negative. I also heard from some that I can do it with diet and exercise. My response was to them was that I am 52 yrs old and haven't succeeded yet and want to enjoy my retirement travelling so this is what's best for me. That usually quiets them.

ticker_334906_bmi.png

Hi Bethieb,

I struggled with the decision on whether to have the surgery too. But, I have tried so, so many times to lose weight on my own only to lose and regain the same 25 pounds over and over again. During my 6 months with my doc (to get insurance approval) I lost 45 pounds. I lost another 15 pounds on the 3 week pre-op liquid diet. I am only 2 weeks post surgery, so I don't have a lot to add for you at this point. But, I am currently down 61 pounds since I went in for the lapband seminar last year and couldn't be happier. I am still feeling hungry a lot, but I know it will take some time to get my band adjusted correctly to help with this. My port is just to the left of my belly button and a bit above it. You can't really feel it, but I know where it is because my doctor showed me on x-ray.

I totally understand how you feel - just make the best decision for you. There are a lot of helpful people on this site too, so visit frequently!!

"Diets don't work"!!! Just responding to your comment about relatives pressure to do it the old fashioned way.

Actually, I dieted quite successfully for about 25 years but I was younger, more athletic and much more active. My knees went about 10 years ago and I started this online company so I sit at a computer 50 hours a week. Gained about 70 lbs and could not diet myself back into health. So for me, diets did work and probably do work for many people but there comes a time when some of us need an extra tool to battle our obsession and I think I've found mine.

I read where about 95% of people who go on a diet fail within 2-3 years. That's a very ominous statistic.

tmf

My port is on the left side exactly under my breast, about half way down before my belly button. It doesn't feel weird or bother me at all. I am 9 days post- op.

Mine is on the left side also. I could barely feel it under all the fat but after losing over 100 lbs, it sticks out like an alien. It feels really weird. No problems with fills, altho it bruises and is sore for a few days afterwards. It doesnt bother me too much. Maybe if I was wearing a bikini (which will never happen) i might be concerned.

Marci