Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Well I guess I should introduce myself. This is mylynn and I am 35, 5ft 2in and I weigh a whopping 330 lbs. My doctor, who is the loveliest person, looked at me and said "What do you want to do?, you're not getting any younger and you're staring down the barrel at a whole host of complications pretty soon. So I said, "What about lap band?" and here I am.

I remember after having my oldest son, I weighed around 266 and only gained 7 lbs during pregnancy. I had a very healthy 8 lbs baby and due to his colic, I lost a bunch of weight after he was born. I felt good and if I had only known then what was coming I would have worked a lot harder to get more weight off. Before my son's 1st birthday I learned I was pregnant again with my 2nd son. That combined with some emotional problems saw me gain 50 lbs during the pregnancy. I had gallbladder surgery the next year. All these surgeries (2 c-sections and the gallbladder surgery), post partum depression, quitting smoking, and a birth control implant that messed up my system..I gained a lot. Then they found out that my thyroid wasn't working and it's been a struggle since to get it under control. My new doctor that I love, she has been in the trenches with me willing to try anything to get my system level. We finally succeded but now I'm faced with all this excess weight and I can't get it off. I have tried diets, fad diets, going to the gym, not eating. Nothing is working. It is so frustrating to me that just 5 short years ago I could have tweaked my diet a bit and dropped pounds like crazy and now nothing I do works at all.

So I am on this journey now. I am getting married in October to a wonderful man who has known me since I wasn't overweight, some 20 years ago. And while I don't have a specific goal yet as far as weight loss for the wedding, I would just like to feel better and get my me back. That girl that never lacked confidence and was fearless, yeah I haven't seen her for a while. I think she's hiding under all this weight!

Oh and I have my consultation on Thurday the 24th of May...I'm so excited!

I know exactly how you feel. I am 39 years old, 5ft 3in tall, and back in January I weighed in at 267 pounds. And I know I've gained more since then! I have been overweight my entire life. Although no where near as overweight as I am now. But thankfully, I will have my surgery on the 12th of June, and am very excited! Like you, I have tried every diet under the sun, and could kick myself for not doing better several years ago when I had the chance. Now I can't lose weight to save my life. I joke with everyone about how my fat loves me to much to leave. But inside, it's not a joke to me. I am very self-concious about my weight, and have even gotten to the point where I don't want to leave the house, and probably wouldn't if I didn't have to work.

I wish you the very best with your weightloss journey, and congratulate you on your upcoming wedding. :)

hi mylynn, your story could have been easily written by me as i am your height and just a smidge under your weight at the moment. That being said, i also had my gallbladder removed about 8 yrs ago...i decided on the lap band in feb (after a couple years of pondering it but being too lazy to do anything about it (or diet or anything else). once i got over the 300 mark, i knew i was in trouble. and hence here i am...just hang in there. you can do this. i just started my liquid diet that we do before surgery and its gonna be tough but you know what, being my size is tough too and for me to get healthy, i have to do what i have to do..

I am so stoked! I got the call this morning that my insurance was approved! This is the best news I have have recieved in a long time.

I am 38 years old and feel like I am 68. I just want to be able to play with my daughter and feel worthy of the love I get from my husband. I don't want to feel BAD all the time any more. July 9th is my first consult and I couldn't be happier.

I am so stoked! I got the call this morning that my insurance was approved! This is the best news I have have recieved in a long time.

I am 38 years old and feel like I am 68. I just want to be able to play with my daughter and feel worthy of the love I get from my husband. I don't want to feel BAD all the time any more. July 9th is my first consult and I couldn't be happier.

I feel the same way bar2373. I feel bad ALL the time. I have a pinched nerve which causes really bad back and shoulder pain, and I KNOW that my weight is only making it worse. In addition to the physical pain, I have emotional pain as well. I am so self-conscious about my weight and my looks that I really hate to leave my house. If I didn't have to work, I'd probably just become a hermit. The main thing I want from this surgery is FEEL better.

Good luck to you and congrats on your approval. My surgery is scheduled for June 12th. I can't wait! :D

Good luck on your surgery day secondchanceatlife. Prayers for you. I can not wait to find out when I will have mine. Just like your name it is a second chance at life and I can not wait to get started.

Thank you bar2373. Prayers are always needed and welcomed!

It's can be a lengthy process from the beginning to an actual surgery date, but I will pray for a speedy date for you as well.

i agree with your post second chance. it sounds as if i could have wrote it.

thank you for sharing and good luck to you and everyone