Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help.banded But No Restriction

:help: I HAVE BEEN BANDED FOR 2 YEARS, BUT KNOW MATTER HOW TIGHT I GET MY BBAND IT DOESN'T SEEM TO GET TIGHT ENOUGH TO STOP ME FROM EATING ALTHOUGH THE DOC SAYS THAT IT CAN'T GET ANY TIGHTER. WHAT'S GOING ON?????? COULD I HAVE STRETCHED OUT MY ESOPHAGUS???? HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS?

Hi Charlotte -

I believe it's time for a barium swallow with fluoroscopy to determine:

1. proper band placement

2. pouch size

3. esophogeal function

If all looks okay, then your doc should withdraw all the Fluid and confirm that it's all there. Then he should do a barium swallow while adding Fluid and confirm that your band is actually changing the flow of barium as he adds more fluid. If the band is not constricting, and all the fluid is retrievable, it's possible that the fluid is being trapped in the port. This happened to ShellyJ, and after many fills and lots of frustration, they finally figured out what was wrong and now she has restriction and is doing fine.

If none of the above pans out, then I suggest it's time for an endoscopy to rule out erosion.

It is very unlikely that someone could have a band filled to capacity and not feel any restriction if the band is placed properly, the fluid is going into the band, and there is no erosion.

Don't let them pawn off this problem - keep at it til you get the correct answers!!

To donali,

WOW, that was quite a response to Charlotte! How do you know all this?

I want you in my corner if I have a problem with my band.

Scott F

Hello gang.... I have had 5 fills and no results.... I must eat slower and chew better but the amount is more like 3cups of food. I am so fed up I have not been back to the doctor. I feel like i have not lost any weight while I obtained scars and the loss of my favorite meal enjoyment "a glass of wine with dinner". I have been doing the weight watcher program and walking on the treadmill 45 min a day or at least getting to go two to three miles a day....I mess up on that goal every so often but that is my goal. If i could go back i would never have done the lap band surgery.... Lapbanding@aol.com

Donali gives great advice, it is now time to take action and demand answers...you must have an endo..you are in the right time frame post op for one. Rule out erosion...

lapbander -- what size band do you have & how much fill? It's sounding like you may need the same advice as Charlotte if it's really full. If it's not that full, then more fills are in order. Remember that everyone varies!

Seriously, call your doctor & tell him how much you can eat. Something isn't right!

Great advice! thanks!

I've got my lap band for 14 months now, lost very little (22 lbs...), had 3 or 4 fills, I'm already with 6cc on a 10cc band... and still feel very little or no restriction at all.

My dr says there's nothing wrong with my band, I'm pretty sure that I'm being careful with what I eat (healthy food but still in too large quantities because it's hardly enough, so I keep eating...), and I've been exercising a lot (3 times/week at the gym + long walks).

So I guess it is just a matter of finding the right restriction, and I still consider my lap band as my best friend and never regret that I got it!

It may take time, longer maybe than most lap banded people I know, but I'll get there!

in any case, it's great to get all this precious information and support here at LBT! Thanks! :clap2: