Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking For A May 10 Band Buddy

I'd like to find someone to go thru this process together for the next year. Anyone game? I was banded May 10th.

Marti

• I was banded on the 10th also! I'll be your buddy! I just found this site last night.

Great! How are you feeling? Any problems since the surgery? When do you get to start adding food back in? Sorry, lots of questions I know. I have had a fairly in eventful surgery other than I can't get past the severe left shoulder pain and I can't burp hardly at all. What about you?

I had a pretty easy time so far, I had quite a bit of pain at the port site, The pain would shoot up the front to my neck.It hurt the most getting in and out of bed and standing up. He also repaired a hiatal hernia.I have to give myself shots of a blood thinner for a week. Is that common?

I don't believe that my band has anything in it yet. I go back for a check at 3 weeks and I think he will add Fluid. I can burp fine and haven't noticed anything uncomfortable, no nausea or vomiting. Seems like I get swollen and bloated every evening. I think I probably do too much.

I am supposed to be on Liquid Protein diet for 4 weeks. With the 2 weeks before surgery, I really want to eat some food, lol! My instructions are to drink high Protein Drink 3-4 oz every hour and 4-6 oz Water every hour. I can also have 4 freebies of sf popsicles,or Jello, broth, thinned cream of wheat (nf milk), I am not drinking enough. I was sooo addicted to diet pop. I am drinking crystal lite, but don't seem to be drinking enough.

After my 4 weeks I can go to soft food. Three meals of 2-4 oz. They recommend 2 oz Protein, 1 oz vegetables. I am also supposed to drink two 8-10 oz Protein Drinks a day.

It's going to be hard. I would love to eat some scrambled egg! What kind of diet are you on and when do you go to see your doctor? I took 2 weeks off work (desk job).

I am 1 week post op tomorrow and I'm supposed to start adding cream of wheat/grits, skim milk, sf pudding, blended Soups, puréed vegetables no more than 2-3 oz each meal with 4 oz Protein Shake in between. I move up each week adding a little more food. I'm drinking plenty but fear maybe too much because I'm afraid of becoming dehydrated. I too had hiatal hernia repair so I still have some tightness in my chest and when I try to burp I hiccup which shoots straight to my left arm/shoulder. I tried not taking any pain meds last night but woke up with severe arm/shoulder pain and had to take a dose. Still can't sleep well on left side or back. I took off all last week and this week from work plan to go back to doctor this Friday for checkup and see if he will release me. I am a program director nurse so do desk work mostly as well.

Hi I'm Jennifer I also got banded at may 10th , I am surprised that Im almost not even wanting to take my pain meds, the surgeon said as needed

Hi Jennifer!

Glad to have another friend here. I made it thru my first night without any pain meds it was rough but I did ok. The only time I was using pain meds was at night to sleep but I need to get off it if I'm going to go back to work on Monday.

New problems last night:

Muscle spasms in my back

Felt a popping sensation in abdominal area

Have you experienced anything like this? First post-op appt is tomorrow May 18 we'll see what doc says.

I had to take med pain at around 5am because my stomach seem to hurt, cramps and my shoulder. Then I slept good. Popping sensation, well what I can I say that when I kept hearing noises in my stomach I would take some gas relief drops and then that worked

No muscle spasms however I am trying to walk around to avoid pains or more gases, by what I have been reading walking even in small amounts helps to alleviate the shoulder pain and gases

I haven't had muscle spasms. The first several days I felt like something moved at my port site which was really disturbing. No popping, just a moving sensation.

I haven't had any shoulder pain or spasms. I am off pain meds, I am moving around quite a bit. I have 50 chickens I go outside to take care of several times a day. Keeps me busy. Going to start going on short walks tomorrow.

My entire L spine has herniated or bulging discs so I am worried what to do about the pain. I used to take Advil and Neurontin daily but was told by my surgeon that I can't take Advil anymore.I need to make an appt with my FP. I haven't taken Neurontin because I was worried about the size of the pills.< /p>

Have you had to change the pills you were taking?

Sorry Amy posted that before I checked the threads. Meds - yes. I had to stop taking my Tylenol extended release for my fibromyalgia because it can't be crushed. But my Blood pressure meds I just crush and Pepcid same way. The Multivitamin and Calcium are chewables. I am now mixing my BP meds in yogurt just started that today. Moved up to runny grits and puréed Soup today but boy was it ever good and satisfying. Who knew I could eat 4 tbls of something and feel full lol. I initially weighed in last Monday morning fully clothed w/o shoes at my gyn's office at 270 now in nightgown down to 251 of course with nothing but liquids what would I expect! My goal weight is 140 annd I am 5'2.5" so now I have to get active. I am walking just a little need to get a good pair of walking shoes so I can be comfortable and get serious about it!

Sorry Amy posted that before I checked the threads. Meds - yes. I had to stop taking my Tylenol extended release for my fibromyalgia because it can't be crushed. But my Blood pressure meds I just crush and Pepcid same way. The multivitamin and Calcium are chewables. I am now mixing my BP meds in yogurt just started that today. Moved up to runny grits and puréed Soup today but boy was it ever good and satisfying. Who knew I could eat 4 tbls of something and feel full lol. I initially weighed in last Monday morning fully clothed w/o shoes at my gyn's office at 270 now in nightgown down to 251 of course with nothing but liquids what would I expect! My goal weight is 140 annd I am 5'2.5" so now I have to get active. I am walking just a little need to get a good pair of walking shoes so I can be comfortable and get serious about it!

That is great nursemarti regarding all that weight loss, you are already able to eat grits, i want to as well however per my diet guideline I'm suppose to start until Monday ; can't wait to be able to eat eggs :)

I am confused. The nurses at the hospital said it was fine for me to keep taking my meds.I wasn't sure about that because I had a consult with a pharmacist at my pre-op and they acted like they didn't want me swallowing any bigger pills. I took tylenol caplets this morning because I had a headache. I haven't had to take my BP pills since I had surgery because my BP was averaging 95/60 until today. I was also having episodes of irregular pulse with my pulse going into the 30's since I was in the hospital. Maybe it was the pain meds, but this afternoon it was 126/90 so I took my med- Micardis HCT 80/25.( I am going to ask my PCP if I can only take a diuretic to control it). Maybe I shouldn't be taking the pills?

Guess I should call my surgeon's office, I don't have an appointment until the 30th. My band doesn't have any Fluid yet.

My pre-surgery weight was 329. I am 5'10". I need a new battery for my scale so I have no idea how much I have lost. I work in a health clinic so I was weighing myself at work.

Sorry to babble on so much,lol!

My BP has been running lower than normal as well but I think it's because I'm not under any stress not being at work LOL. I'm a Program Director/Nurse Mgr of an adult & geriatric psych units.

Do check with your doc about taking meds whole though you don't want to clog your band or it will cause vomiting.

I am so looking forward to eating next's weeks additions: eggs, string cheese, mashed potatoes, soft baked fish, ritz crackers

I'll let you all know how doc appt goes tomorrow.