Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my band taken out yesterday, thank goodness!! It all went well and I had no erosion. I;m a bit sore but walking around fine. I've even been able to eat soft foods, porridge, Soup, mash potato, and it all has gone down nicely, no being sick!!

Just want to be able to eat healthy, happy days. xx

In an earlier post you said there is a study that states that 50% of bands fail? Can you provide a link to this study?

tmf

Why did u have ur band taken out?

Did your insurance cover the surgery?

I hope you're feeling better since your surgery. I had my band out last August (2011) after having issues with my original band (original surgery Feb 2010). My issue now is dealing with trying not to gain weight. This is very hard. If you need any tips, or if you have any, please let me know!!!

I am in the process of getting authorization to have my band removed. Why? Because I don't feel well and I think it may be the band but even if it isn't, I need to eat healthy and I can't with the band. Yeah, Lay's potato chips go down well but not so with salads or veggies. I am 61 and I want to be healthy which is why I got the band in the first place. I have lost 65 lbs and want to lose 15 more and I believe I can do it on my own. If I gain more than 2 lbs I will join WW but I am pretty sure I will be okay. I am doing this for the sake of my health, not because I want to be thin or pretty. I read above about a study: I too read that most lapbanders only lose 43% of the weight they want to lose and I've beaten that score so I'm ok. My surgeon told me yesterday that he sees a 100% re-gain but I aim to prove him wrong! I am a little worried but not much. I have the tools and the band has taught me to chew my food and take smaller bites. If anyone has advice for me, tips, please speak. Also, as far as problems with the band, does anyone feel like the band may be "poisoning" your body? I kind of feel that way. I just don't feel well a lot of the time and what else could it be?

Anyhow, I am not sorry I got it but I am glad to be getting rid of it.

Blondylyn,

I understand your feeling of being "poisoned," but am still glad I had the surgery even after the subsequent two surgeries. The first was due to band slippage; I had a gastric prolapse and nothing could get through. The second was to remove the band itself. I had the same symtoms as with the prolapse, but none of the tests they performed show anything wrong with the band or it's position. I had to go to another doctor because my surgeon basically told me it was all "in my head." I am not the first patient who experienced this attitude from him. I spoke with two other doctors who had in fact dealt with similar cirucmstances some of their patients. After removal, all my symptoms disappeared. I feel WAY better, although I miss having my tool.

Tips I can give you are:

Watch what you eat. I stay as close to how I ate while I had my band. This is sometimes difficult because I will still feel hungry after eating those small portions. I will typically eat fresh veggies and drink Water to help.

Exercise. I walk, swim, dance, etc at least 30-45 five days a week.

Do NOT feel guilty after you've eaten something you feel you shouldn't have. I allow myself one day per week to eat a meal I love, regardless of calories, etc. (For me, this is usually Mexican food with the works!! LOL)

Have a code of honor, so to speak. For example, I have decided that I will not eat white rice, and I haven't since I had my initial surgey. I also do not eat potato chips, etc. It doesn't matter if everyone else around me is eating those foods that are on my "NO" list; I simply regard that as non-edible in my world. Does that make sense?

I hope this helps you. Please keep in touch and let me know how you're doing. :-)

For those of you who have or are looking to take your band out, have you tried keeping your band in with all the Fluid removed first?

I had to have all of the Fluid removed from mine because I stretched my pouch. But even without any fluid I have some restriction still and cannot totally pig out like I could prior to getting my band, but I can eat pretty much anything as long as it isn't too dry. And I've still mangage I think to lose a couple of pounds over the last 5 weeks since I had the fluid taken out. (waiting to get on the doctor's scale for confirmatin of that).

Just curious as to why if the doctor says there is nothing wrong with the band, why removing fluid hasn't helped for those of you who say you can't eat at all.

having my band removed my be an option for me as well. but for right now, I'm going to have an unfill today and try to save my band

DizzyLizzy and Ebonymc,

Normal protocol dictates that the doctor remove all Fluid if issues arise with the band and it is suspected that it is too 'tight."

The only Fluid I ever had while using my band was 2cc, and that was from June 2010 to October 2010 (initial surgery was Feb 2010). All the other weight I lost with diet only. Before I had my second surgery (to repair from the gastric prolapse) my PA took that amount out. After that surgery, I never had a fill. When I statred having issues again, there was no fluid involved at all. Simply put, my body didn't like the band. My stomach was swollen around the band; it's very placement was causing this. I guess my body just couldn't tolerate a foreign object, even though no doctor will offically say my body "rejected" the band.

If there would have been any way to save my band, I would have done so. The use of that particular tool helped my lose my weight and get down to within 2 lbs of my goal. I've kept off the 82 pounds for nearly a year without a band (band was removed August 2011). If you can save your band, and are not getting sick from it, then I recommend doing so. In any case, good luck to you both!! If you end up having it out, be stubborn and determined to keep off your weight, or else your surgeries and effort will all be for naught. This attitude helped me in the past year. ;-)

MonaLisa2,

Thank you for all your advice and encouragement! Sounds like you have beaten the odds and that's what I want to do. I feel like the band is useful but I can do the rest on my own and like I said, I believe it is making me sick. I don't want to have gone thru 2 surgeries just to gain my weight back. That would be dumb.

I no longer like sweets so that is helpful, too.

I just want to feel normal again and not have all these tummy issues. It might be "psychological intolerance" but I truly don't think so.

So you inspire me to move ahead and get it out! Thank you for your input!

I had 5 cc removed 4 days ago and feeling a lot better after going to bed (reflux). I have 40 more lbs to lose and have actually lost 2lbs since the unfill. :) I'm going to try to keep my band and lose the weight with my already given tool. This band has helped me to lose nearly 50lbs and now it's time for me to help it with the last 40. This positive attitude is all coming from an unfill.

Hi JA

I have an appointment to see the surgeon in a month with a view to having my band out. I have had enough of it!! Can u tell me what Pre op stuff u had to do, how long were u in hospital and any special dietary requirements afterwards. Thanks so much in advance I have tried to research it but can't find any info

Best of luck with the new you?☺

Hi Trixie!

Is there a specific reason why you are considering having your band removed? The reason I'm asking is the only reason I had mine removed is that my body couldn't tolerate it any longer. I miss having that tool to assist me in maintaining my weight loss, and wouldn't want you to have any regrets.

I had four pre-op tests to see why I couldn't eat normally. After those tests, all we did was schedule the surgery. My physician always keeps his patients overnight to make sure everything is okay before we go home. Afterwards, it was just the standard liquid diet for a few days, then move up to soft food, and so on. Similar to when I had the surgery to place the band.

I did take some time off from work, but you really shouldn't need more than a few days.

Best of luck to you as well, and as always, if you need to talk, just visit here!!

Hi MonaLisa2

Thanks so much for your reply. There is no medical requirement for me to have the band removed - it is something I want to do. I am getting depressed about the food intolerances and they all seem to be the healthy food choices that I can't tolerate.

I have no problem eating all the stuff that made me overweight in the first place such as chocolate, ice cream, cakes, biscuits etc.

But it depends on the individual - my sister in law has no problem except for lettuce.

My family are tired of it and want to help me keep my weight off without the band