Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are Fills Mandatory!!?

Hi! I was banded four days ago and have my dr appointment next week. I asked my dr "at that time will I get my first fill" and he told me fills are not mandatory. He said for most people the band itself is enough and they get fills if and when they realize thet need more restriction.

Im asking you guys: is this true?? right now my band is not filled.

I've never heard of a dr telling a pt this. I think most dr's believe in the fill process, but mine waited till 6 wks to do the first one. And I had to wait 6 wks between them. I"ve heard of people losing all their weight without a fill _ but I think it's definately the exception, not the rule. Most people need a few fills to reach restriction. For me it was my 3rd that did it. So to get a fill this early may not happen, but I would be concerned if he made you wait too long.

Good luck!

Marci

Not with my doctor, I was banded 4/25/2012 and I have an appt for a first fill 6/5/12 and a second fill on 7/23/12.

Six weeks after surgery and another 6 weeks after that.

I am fairly new to this too but from what I have read fills are not mandatory but are necessary to get to the "green zone".

I also question a doctor that says this. Ask him more about it.

I had my surgery 4/13 and may have my first fill on 6/7. At this time I don't think I need a fill but I also know I am still healing from surgery so by June things may change. I have been wondering if maybe I am an exception to the rule at this time.

Also from what I have read on here people's bodies go through changes all the time and you may from time to time need a fill or unfill just because your body decides it needs one.

Fills aren't mandatory and if you are one of the lucky ones that can lose without fills then do a happy dance :). When I was banded it was a few months before my first fill and then my Dr scheduled them every 6 weeks but I didn't require them so canceled the appointments. Just go with the flow. You may be just fine without a fill for a long time.

Ok thanks for the feedback I appreciate this!

No fills are not mandatory, but they are usually an important part of the band process. Perhaps he meant they were not mandatory this early in the post op phase. Even if you don't need fills, I would recommend that you attend follow up visits as they are also important to your success with the band.

I hear many different views. And what I always ask people is this....

Before you got the band...what did you think it was going to do, how do you think it will work, once you have it installed??

In other words, what are your expectataions?

You know I opted to take the slow route of gradual fills because my insurance is so good. I'm glad I did it. Banded dec.21, 2010, 81 pounds down in a size 14...way exceeded my expectations. My first fill was six weeks after initial banding. This gave me an opportunity to let my stomach heal, learn how to eat better, smaller, and chew. After a month I was filled another 1cc. It was a gradual and pleasant experience. I'm at 5.5cc and have had a few restrictions but it has eased up. I don't recommend cold turkey fills tight...that's just me. I go in tomorrow and not sure if I want or need a fill or not. My doc listens to me so he can help me decide my pace.

I was banded back in October, 2012. I just got my first fill a little over a week ago. The experience was not at all unpleasant. I started to notice that I could eat more so I asked for my fill. It really does help. I've lost 60 pounds so far and it's been a great experience.