Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Hell Is Very Upsetting

I haven't had my first fill yet and I am only three weeks since surgery and I don't feel any restriction. Im so afraid of gaining back what I have lost so far.

Do you have a fill scheduled yet? If not, make an appointment. That will give you something to look forward to. In the meantime, do your best not to overeat, because that can interfere with healing and the settling of the band against your stomach. Don't worry too much about losing weight right now.

Bandster Hell is one thing I wish I'd known about before my surgery. It wouldn't have changed my decision to have surgery, but at least the Hell part wouldn't have been an unpleasant surprise.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the support. I do have an appt for May 31st.

I haven't had my first fill yet and I am only three weeks since surgery and I don't feel any restriction. Im so afraid of gaining back what I have lost so far.

Digital food scale is a must. Weigh out your low fat/cal Protein. Eat low fat/Cal veggies until full. Avoid carbs.

I am right there with you!! I had lap band surgery on April 9th. With pre-surgery diet and liquid phase, I lost 25 pounds fairly quickly and then it seemed to stall. I am measuring food; I keep a food journal; haven't gained any, but not losing either. My first fill isn't scheduled until June 6th. I am hoping it will help. . . still trying to be patient and being a trooper. No soda, potatoes or bread since April 1st and eating a lot of mushie things :)

April 9 is my day also. Down 26 lbs as of today and had my first fill today. Im on liquids 2days then 2 days mushie. I go for my next fill in two weeks. They said 1/2lbs per week is good. Wish I lost more but feeling good.

I haven't really found anything I can't eat. I don't eat junk food anyway. My issues have always been the portion size. It just seemed like right after the surgery I only could eat liquid and then very little. I'm three weeks out and I and eating normally, probably less than I use to but I know I should still eat less to lose weight. I think I just expected to have more restriction. But I have my hopes that the fill will help.

I haven't really found anything I can't eat. I don't eat junk food anyway. My issues have always been the portion size. It just seemed like right after the surgery I only could eat liquid and then very little. I'm three weeks out and I and eating normally' date=' probably less than I use to but I know I should still eat less to lose weight. I think I just expected to have more restriction. But I have my hopes that the fill will help.[/quote']

Ditto. I'm getting my first fill next Tuesday. Hoping like heck it helps

I didn't have my first fill until 6 wks post op, and it took 3 fills before I felt any restriction. My surgeon went very slow with me. Be patient, you'll get there!

Ok help!! I had surgery on march 19. I have never felt restriction. I had a fill and still could eat a lot!!! Then two weeks ago had another fill. A little restriction but not to bad. Well today had a fill. Went home and had a few bites of chicken salad and threw up. Im miserable right now. I am in pain. Slime in my mouth. Water hurts to go down. Im freaking out. I cant lay down. My chest hurts. Back hurts. What do i do?

Ok help!! I had surgery on march 19. I have never felt restriction. I had a fill and still could eat a lot!!! Then two weeks ago had another fill. A little restriction but not to bad. Well today had a fill. Went home and had a few bites of chicken salad and threw up. Im miserable right now. I am in pain. Slime in my mouth. Water hurts to go down. Im freaking out. I cant lay down. My chest hurts. Back hurts. What do i do?

I'm hoping you feel better by the time you see this. There isn't much you can do when something like that happens except wait for everything to calm down. If it doesn't calm down within a day or so, or you can't drink Clear Liquids, call your surgeon. In the meantime, plan for the future. Do not eat solid food the same day as you have a fill. Most surgeons instruct patients to follow a liquid diet for at least 24 hours after a fill, then transition gradually to purees, then soft, then solid food.< /p>

I am exactly in you boat. I had surgery on 5/8/12. I was so happy the first week b/c I didnt think of food, want food, ate very little and was full and dropped a pound a day for that week. Then the second week I was more hungry but I got full easily. THis week is hell. I heard everyone mention how hard it was but I was hoping it wouldnt happen to me. I am eating as little as possible and eating on saucer plates, eating protient, counting calories and working out. I have lost 1 pound this week but I think it is only b/c of dieting. Basically right now, I think I am just on a really hard diet. I cannot gain or it would be too big of a mental set back. I have my first fill Tuesday and I am luck my Dr does it at 3 weeks but I have also heard many people dont feel any difference for several fills. I am trying to brace myself that the next 6 weeks will be very hard and take ALOT of will power and perserverance. I have noticed that when I truely make myself only take a bite once every 1.5 minutes, I do feel slightly satisfied at the end or I just get bored eating that long and give up. Whatever it is, it gets my off the table and I toss some food. I feel like I am just "white knuckling it" till green zone. Hell, I would even pray for yellow zone right now.

I wish I both luck.

Hell, I would even pray for yellow zone right now.

LOL. Too funny. I am day 8 post-op and boy did my appetite totally return. I can eat normal bites now and about a cup of food. I totally understand. I try to look at all of this as phases: 2 wks of pre-op diet phase, then surgery was a phase, and bandster hell will be a phase too. I helps me to focus because it will all be temporary till I get restriction.

Same theory that some coaches use, like basketball- let's not focus our attention on the score right now or the outcome of the game at the end- for the next 4 minutes focus only on rebounding, etc and the rest will come. Same with weight loss. Use your energy to focus on the things you can control TODAY.

Hi! I had my LB September of 2011. I am now at 6.5 cc's and feeling it! What I have discovered is that if I upset my band,let's say at lunch, my band will be extra tight for the rest of the day. I'm assuming it's because at that first stuck episode I bothered my band and my stomach, resulting in some inflammation. When this happens I need to remind myself to take it easy and have soft mushy food or liquids after that first stuck episode. Otherwise when I eat dinner (when I assume I'm ok) I get stuck again, only this time it happens fast and hurts more. Today I have very swollen glands. I must be getting sick. My throat is sore and my sinuses are draining ... Guess where! Yep, down to my band! It's like every second bite I take today I get stuck no matter how good I chew! And it's been slime city! I'm almost at my year anniversary and I STILL have to be reminded to make accommodations for my band! Its a learning process all the time! Good luck!

Just remember to be patient with it amd dont push your surgeon for a big fill I promise you will regret it.. Mine kept givin me .5cc at a time I finally nagged enough that he gave me 1 and a half all in 1 fill and boy did I regret it so tight I couldnt keep anything down and ended up goin back dehydrated for an unfill :s