Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Get Lapband Removed And Do Rny Or Sleeve? Help!!

Thanks for reading this post everybody. To make a long story short, I had lapband surgery when I was 15 1/2 years old in 2007 everything was alright and going well for the first 8 months or so but then started to go down hill. Well after gaining weight back and having some problems as far as acid reflex and hurting sometimes when eating. I finally went to the doctors and he said that their is a minor slip. He said that if I was his son he would recommend me to get the Roux en-Y (RNY) surgery or sleeve as another option because the lapband is eventually going to have to be removed. He said because I am still young ( 20 years old )the operation to remove the lapband and have RNY would be low risk. However, he said that the choice is up to me and take a month to think/research what I want to do.

So here is where I need help/support on what to do because I am just starting to research more of the RNY surgery. I wish I could start the entire surgery all over again however I probably still have the same problems.

Has anybody got the lapband taken out and went to RNY or SLEEVE? If so, how did it go? Any problems?

Any recommendations on what I should do?

wow,,they did lapband that young? perhaps had they had you wait til after you got through your adolescence years, your body would have been more prepared..and you wouldnt have had problems. I think that if they put the band back in place, if thats possible, and work with you to retrain yourself to follow the guidelines again, you will do better. your body was still growing and developing so even if you were following what they said..it likely wouldnt have the same results as an adult makgin the same choices. just my thought.

Whatever you decide tho, i wish you the best..just make sure you get a couple of doctor opinions, if you at all have doubts about what this doc is saying.

Many people have revised to RNY or sleeve and been successful. I just have a bunch of questions for you to consider:

With your band, were you able to eat according to band rules? Did you change your habits to positive food and exercise choices?

Why does he say the band will have to be removed? Because of a minor slip? Slips can be treated, although some will cause severe enough problems to require removal, but you stated it is minor.

Do you think that if you started getting proper aftercare with your band and see if you can get back to following your band rules you can be successful with your band again?

When you started regaining weight, was it because of the pain you were experiencing? Or was it because you just didn't want to follow the rules of banded life? If you are not willing to follow the rules of banded life, will you be willing to follow the rules of RNY or a sleeve?

None of the procedures is auto-pilot, you have work to do with it, and have to be willing to do your share.

Just some points to think about....if my band HAD to come out, I'd not hesitate to revise to another procedure.

Best wishes to you, it is a big decision.

Please check with a few docs. I hope your band is salvagable and you can Get the education and support you need. I am surprised you got the band so young! I am 45 and it has been tough work adjusting. And I am only 6 weeks in!

If all docs agree the band must come out then go for whatever procedure you are comfortable with. I am sorry you have had such a rough go of it's hang in there and best of luck!

Hi, I'm sorry for your struggles. I can really relate. First of all, please don't blame yourself (assuming you followed the rules). I was banded in Nov 2007, followed the rules to a "T", lost 198 lbs in 2 years, and then had two slips and a leak. I used to be totally pompous, thinking that people who struggled with the band were to blame. Then it happened to me, and I quickly learned that it can fail through no fault of the user. Let me just say, I learned a real lesson in humility.

I had my band out Friday. There was a fair bit of damage done by the band - scarring and pulled my fundus (left part of the stomach) through the diaphragm. I am healing for the next four months and revising to the sleeve.

If I were you, I would think long and hard, and be honest with yourself, about how well you followed the rules with the band. If you were able to follow the rules and think you could again, the sleeve would likely be a good option, as it accomplishes weight loss in a similar fashion to the band (restriction). If you struggled, I would consider RNY, as it uses malabsorption. I would personally not consider another band, based on the damage it caused despite me following the rules.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I agree with not getting another band. I know it works for some but after discovering how much damage I have from my slip...just not something I would consider again. Again, like above, be honest with yourself, did you do what you need to do to mak this work? Not blaming you or pointing finger but it really is hard and at such a young age I would have never followed what I was supposed to. Good luck!!

They don't want to tighten their band down to control their eating and they defeat it.

The band cannot control a person's eating, only they can do that. By tightening a band to the extent you are suggesting a person is more likely to gain weight as they will not be able to eat proper food like meat and veg and instead will have to resort to sliders. Most sliders(milkshakes, icecream, candy, Cookies, custard etc) are high calorie, go down really easily and give little satisfaction.

It is not surprising that your band slipped and now it seems you are encouraging others to do the same things that caused you problems. I do wonder sometimes................

The band cannot control a person's eating' date=' only they can do that. By tightening a band to the extent you are suggesting a person is more likely to gain weight as they will not be able to eat proper food like meat and veg and instead will have to resort to sliders. Most sliders(milkshakes, icecream, candy, Cookies, custard etc) are high calorie, go down really easily and give little satisfaction.

It is not surprising that your band slipped and now it seems you are encouraging others to do the same things that caused you problems. I do wonder sometimes................[/quote']

I had to back and rered that entire thread twice :D I thought you were talking to me and was baffled!!!

Hold on buddy! No need to be mean! I think elcee was just trying to warn against having the band TOO tight! I didn't have a slip but my band was too tight and I was eating slider foods & not losing. It's easy to do when you are starving and the only thing that will stay down is hot creamy soup! You think you need a fill because you are always hungry but the oposite is true! I found out about sliders on this site. So even tho it offended you, elcee may have helped someone! Just as you have helped others! I appreciate you sharing your story and am sorry you were in such a bad accident. It's great the sleeve is working for you too.

I would respond but as I'm just a vain BIMBO I'm probably not intelligent enough.

Well, BIMBO, just for your information, my band was tight and I could eat meat and was eating healthy foods. Never once touched a "shake" or anything that YOU might resort to.

Jeez, I swear the world is full of stupid people and WOMAN, you took the cake this week.

I would respond but as I'm just a vain BIMBO I'm probably not intelligent enough.

The report feature is a wonderful thing.

I did that already ;)

While the delivery could have been a bit kinder, I will say it gets tiring being blamed for my slip, so I get the frustration. I read these boards regularly, and there is definitely an attitude that if you have a slip, you somehow earned it yourself. It HAS to be your fault.

Like I said earlier, I used to feel that way, and I had to eat some major crow. My slip came about after a serious upper respiratory infection with an unending cough. I took medicine, went to my doctor, did everything I could, but I still coughed relentlessly for days. I can't say for sure it was the cough, but I feel in my heart of hearts it caused the slip.

And once it slipped, it just would not go back, even going four months completely unfilled. I know the temptation to believe that others cause their slips, because that means you can prevent it from happening to yourself, but the truth is, bands slip. Sometimes it just happens, even to those of us who were totally successful and total rule followers.

Well that seemed a wee bit excessive....