Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, everyone. I have been reading info on this site, but just joined last night. I am Dawn and will be having the Band with plication tomorrow. I have read a lot of posts this morning, and honestly, I am thinking what in the world have I gotten myself into?? I was originally set on having the sleeve, but always had a problem with staying in a hospital for 3 days, and having part of my body removed when it was not medically necessary. So, after my doctor mentioned this procedure, I changed my mind and agreed to this. But after reading these posts, I am really nervous. I'm okay with pain, as I have a kind of a high tolerance, but I'm not okay with nausea. ugh. My mother has been on me about my weight for a long time, so I'm mostly doing this because of her - I am really wondering if I made the right decision now, though. Although, I guess it's too late now. A completely off the wall question, how do you add the tickers? I tend to ask a bunch of questions, and I have already gotten more info from reading this site from my surgeon, so I will thank anyone and everyone for your answers and support in advance.

I know exactly how you feel and that is the same reason I chose the band. I had surgery on 4/25/12, two days before my surgery I was freaking out, What am I doing? This is crazy! I am not doing this! My friend talked me through it, I had my surgery and I did awesome. Very little pain and I feel great. I must say I am hungry, liquids for two weeks just does not cut it but this will pass and I will move on to the next stage. I am a little scared of what is to come but also looking forward to it.

Tickers: http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php

It will give you a code to paste into your signature.

Good luck on your journey.

For me the nausea was not so bad...I believe that the lap and is a lifesaver...I had no comorbitiys when I was banded but was very close to having three...all of those disappeared...as for tickers I don't have a clue...good luck and keep us updated!

Thank you. I am really dreading this whole process at this point.

Hey! I can honestly say that i don't remember very much nausea at all from my surgery. The pain is definitely bearable and wasn't too bad. ( I've had 2 c-sections so i definitely expected worse) Like your self i have been reading from this site for quite some time but just joined today!

I wish you well with everything, i'm sure it will go smoothly and you'll wonder why you were so concerned!

Best wishes,

Breanne

I did not have nausea , but very sore and lots of gas. I had my surgery April 24th and yes I'm hungry now can't wait till my fill. my weight has stopped for the moment but I'm thinking my first fill will kick start it all again,Next week I can have scrambled egg's ,I'm so exited, the liq diet runs through after a while I really look forward to eating again, I had a dream last night I was eating a sandwich ,oh well where's my Protein Shake?

I did not have nausea , but very sore and lots of gas. I had my surgery April 24th and yes I'm hungry now can't wait till my fill. my weight has stopped for the moment but I'm thinking my first fill will kick start it all again,Next week I can have scrambled egg's ,I'm so exited, the liq diet runs through after a while I really look forward to eating again, I had a dream last night I was eating a sandwich ,oh well where's my Protein Shake?

Just click on my ticker and follow the instructions good luck!

Well, I have been hungry for 2 and a half weeks. I have been on nothing but Protein Shakes since April 18th to get my weight down for this procedure and I am sick of them!! This weekend, I was told to only have clear liquid - Water, crystal light and broth. I asked why??? I haven't eaten anything in 2 weeks!! Never got an answer. Now, after reading on this site that I will have to do another week, maybe 2 of the same of this weekend - water and broth... I am very depressed and discouraged. I have had very little interaction with my doctor and have so many questions. I am an emotional timebomb waiting to explode in a million directions and honestly, wish I had never started this...

Hi Dawn. I know some of the feelings you're having. I'm getting banded in a couple days and one minute I'll be excited, and the next minute I wonder why I am putting myself through this. The shakes make the gag. Everything in my body wants to run to a drive-thru a sabotage myself. I am on my 9th day on liquids (1 more day to go) and I am constantly hungry too. Yes, it is torture, but the feeling of fullness isn't going to come until we are on regular foods, getting adjustments, and learning how to live with the band. Be patient with yourself because it is going to get better. Ignore the negative posts. Everyone's journey will be different and you will do this your own way. You may have started out because of your mom but it will become about you. Remember the reasons you are doing this and all the health problems you will avoid by losing weight. Message me if you ever need to vent.

My procedure was completed Monday and so far recovery has been uneventful. Today is the first day I haven't felt like sleeping the morning away. I haven't had much, if any nausea, honestly. The most discomfort I've had is from where the doctor fixed the hernia, which caused a tightness in my chest, also the gas pockets that come and go, but the doctor warned me of that. I was on liquids until yesterday and just had some of a Protein Shake this morning. So, hopefully things will continue to progress uneventfully from here. Thanks to everyone for your comments and support!

Six days out from surgery. Yesterday went to the pet store and walked around costco, didn't feel too bad. I swear everything we saw looked so good, even things I normally would not eat - talapia, shrimp salad, and most interesting was crab-stuffed salmon. I think the last time I ate "real food" was April 30th and other than that, I have had nothing but Protein Shakes, Water and crystal light. My follow up visit with the surgeon is Tuesday and I am looking forward to transitioning to soft foods. I feel bad for my sister, who is also my roommate, because she tries to eat somewhere away from me. She feels bad eating in front of me because I still can't have regular food, but I don't want her not eating because of me. I have felt very selfish with this whole process and at times a big inconvenience to others. But, I guess what is done is done and there isn't much I can do about it. I just want this process to move forward so I can feel that I am normal around others again, and others can feel normal around me.

Dawn, I think you are going through what we have all felt at one time or another...angry/confused/full of regrets/depressed/frustrated/etc with the occasional "happy" thrown in. I am only a month postop and I totally get the frustration of food limitations. what helped me most was adding sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free Jello, and while they may not be a "meal", you actually get to CHEW something, which felt simply fabulous after the never-ending liquid feasts.

It may not be a huge help, but if you are like me, I was happy to just have something...SOMETHING...different.

Best of Luck..keep us posted on your success! :D

Laura

Are all surgeons who perform this procedure anti-carb? Mine certainly is. He states that his expectation is that I am to be on a carb restricted diet of no more than 30g per day. I keep wondering if everyone has to follow such a strict rule? He also says basically no potatoes, rice, or bread again. I wonder did I make the right decision? I understand life does not revolve around food, but I hate the thought of living with such restrictions, especially as I have these past several weeks.

Please don't be nervous, all surgeries have their side effects. If you follow the rules you wont have the problems. If you do experience problems you go back and review your tools...chew chew chew, smaller bites, listen to your body wen u start to feel full, drink to stay hydrated not thru a straw. Keep up your 60 grams Protein. Get as much knowledge as you can. I love my band and my weight loss down 80+ pounds. Much happier and healthier!

My concern for you is that you are doing it for someone else!! This is definitely for you, not Mom. You deserve to be healthy - for you.

Keep reading, you will start to feel better with more information. ask lots of questions, it will give you the confidence, that you can do this.

We have all been obese, we have all tried lots of diets and promised ourselves we would do better. Now you will have a great tool to really get going - for YOU.