Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice From Banded Vets!!

PLEASE DON'T READ IF YOU ARE PRE-OP OR NEWLY BANDED I DO NOT WANT TO DISCOURAGE ANYONE!!!

Okay I'm 9 days post op & I'm doing okay but I have to vent. Please don't judge me as I'm feeling guilty enough as it is. I REALLY need some support right now.

Ok Physically I'm feeling great! I have very little soreness left and have tons of energy. My total weight loss included 5 day liquid diet before surgery and post op has been 11 pounds. I'm very excited but I know I could have lost more. here's why:

I have discovered I can eat food. I can drink and eat at the same time and I can tolerate most things. It all started about 5 days post op. my son was eating chicken strips and fries for dinner. I had my typical post op creamy Soup and for some reason I wanted just a bite of something different! I chewed one of the fries and a VERY small piece of one of the chicken strips. I was so scared but you know what I tolerated it! That led to other nibbles here and there and finally on Tuesday a WHOLE slice of cheese pizza. For Breakfast and lunch I do so well with my liquids but by dinner I just want FOOD. I'm do disappointed in my self and I just dont want to fail. Why am I able to eat?? That was the whole point of the surgery. I know I need will power but if that was something I had then I wouldn't have gotten the surgery. After eating more than a few bites of something I actually HOPED I would get sick so that would let me know to stop but I didnt and that edges my little hunger demon on even more. Anyone have similar issues or suggestions?? Please don't tell me I'm the only one & Please positive comments only. I already feel bad enough :/

I am going to try not to be rude! Follow your surgeon's rules. Just because you can eat it, doesn't mean you should eat that stuff. The 1st few weeks, after surgey, are for healing, that is why you have the "diet" that the offfice gives you. You could be causing problems to yourself for later. Try to go back to your liquids or softs. Call you surgeon's office for help. Good luck, and congrats on your "new" life. Karen

PS: after healing, we all go through "bandster hell" before getting our 1st fill!

I'm still on the liquids (full liquids) and like I said I do great until dinner when the mental hunger kicks in. By no means am I eating FULL meals or even snacking on junk. The main thing was that slice of pizza and the little nibbles. I'm STILL having guilt from that pizza and that was days ago. Which plants the negative bugs that "oh you weren't ready p this new life" "you can't do it right now" "just have a TASTE of that and you'll be ok"

I know I need to have restraint for health reasons. I don't want to mess this up or have a slip down the line. I wish I felt the way I did a few days post op when I COULDN'T eat anything :/ I plan to use this weekend to make at least 3 new Soups to freeze and eat on through out the week and xplan out a few full liquid diet menus. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

I WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING.I AM 9MOS OUT.AT 8 DAYS I ATE pizza AND WASHORRIFIED HOW EASY IT WENT DOWN.THEN FELT GUILTY.YOU CAN EAT,DRINK WHATEVER AND HOW FAST ETC AT THE EARLY STAGES.THERE IS NOTHING WITH BAND TO STOP YOU.DOESNT MEAN WE SHOULD.WE CALL THIS TIME PRIOR TO PROPER RESTRICTION BANSTER HELL.TAKE THIS TIME TO PRACTICE GOOD EATING HABITS SMALL BITES,CHEW SLOW,SIP drinks ETC FOR FUTURE WHEN IT IS NOT AN OPTION ONE DAY IN THE FUTURE.IT TOOK ME MONTHS TO GET THERE AND LOST VERY LITTLE WEIGHT UNTIL 7TH FILL.I HAVE A 14CC BAND I HAVE 12CC IN IT AND JUST STARTED LOOSING AT 11CC IN.NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE THIS SOME GET RESTRICTION ALOT SOONER BUT THIS IS ME.HANG IN THERE YOUR TIME WILL COME.RELAX FOLLOW THE RULES BEST YOU CAN AND LET THE REST TAKE ITS PLACE.HOPE THIS HELPS...

Myshel I am not a vet but I do offer encouragement. Just by your post your guilt is punishment enough take that experience and move forward. Read through some of the post and you will find you are not even close to being alone there are a lot of people who fell but girl get up and stop felling sorry for yourself! When you know better you do better and no one is perfect. Forgive yourself and keep pushing forward because we have forgiven you already!!

We are at about the same point post-op. My surgeon and nurse practioner told me that after the swelling went down, my appetite would return full force and that I would not really feel any restriction because the band has no Fluid yet. They said it was a normal feeling. However, you want to be careful to follow the stage of diet that they tell you. You want to make sure that you don't stretch out your pouch. After you start getting feels, you will feel that restriction that we need to have to feel full and to tell us to stop eating.

Hang in there and don't beat yourself up too much.

Susan

Most surgeons don't put any fill into bands when they install them, if they do, it is just a small amount. Of course you can eat. Once the swelling went down, it is like you don't have a band.

Does that mean that just because you CAN eat that you SHOULD eat? Of course not. Follow your surgeon's rules. Your band is healing into place. Surgeon's anchor it down with just a few stitches. The post-op diet is designed to keep the stomach from grinding. When you put food down, you cause the stomach to grind, risking tearing the stitches.

You are in bandster hell now. I woke up from the anesthesia hungry, I feel your pain, but get yourself back on your post-op diet!

Yes we have all felt the need to "eat/chew" something. Totally normal. As mentioned previously however just because you can does not mean should. I recommend spacing out your allowed foods. When I was on mushies I was allowed 8 oz of Tomato Soup (or sweet red pepper whatever but vegetable, smooth and low fat/cal); I'd wait an hour and then have the yogurt of cottage cheese. If I ate everything in one setting I would be both head and body hungry in an hour. If you are hungry eat more of the foods you are allowed. Don't eat pizza or fries.

A bit of a lecture. If pizza, fries and chicken fingers are bad for you they are bad for your children. Feed your kids versions of what you are eating. They literally won't starve. If they are hungry enough they will eat it.

Most newly banded CAN eat anything and everything! There is a BIG misconception that you can ONLY eat what the pouch will hold-SO not true. food travels quite rapidly through your pouch in the beginning. You will be operating on your own will power for the next three or four months, until you reach the green zone. My best advice is to ALWAYS eat like you ARE in the green zone even before you are.

please someone tell me what green zone is??? And my friend I feel you...I am 8-days post-op and can not eat solids...but if I could would be battling as you are..my heart goes out to you..good luck

The green zone is when you get to a fill level where you can eat solids, they keep you satisfied for 4 or so hours, and you aren't constantly thinking about food.

http://www.lapbandce...TMENT_guide.pdf

Yes. When are first banded you will discover that you can almost function like normal. However once you start getting the fills what you will be able to eat will change. Also, when you think you are hungry ask yourself is your body hungry or do you just think you need to eat....there is a big difference

I WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING.I AM 9MOS OUT.AT 8 DAYS I ATE pizza AND WASHORRIFIED HOW EASY IT WENT DOWN.THEN FELT GUILTY.YOU CAN EAT' date='DRINK WHATEVER AND HOW FAST ETC AT THE EARLY STAGES.THERE IS NOTHING WITH BAND TO STOP YOU.DOESNT MEAN WE SHOULD.WE CALL THIS TIME PRIOR TO PROPER RESTRICTION BANSTER HELL.TAKE THIS TIME TO PRACTICE GOOD EATING HABITS SMALL BITES,CHEW SLOW,SIP drinks ETC FOR FUTURE WHEN IT IS NOT AN OPTION ONE DAY IN THE FUTURE.IT TOOK ME MONTHS TO GET THERE AND LOST VERY LITTLE WEIGHT UNTIL 7TH FILL.I HAVE A 14CC BAND I HAVE 12CC IN IT AND JUST STARTED LOOSING AT 11CC IN.NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE THIS SOME GET RESTRICTION ALOT SOONER BUT THIS IS ME.HANG IN THERE YOUR TIME WILL COME.RELAX FOLLOW THE RULES BEST YOU CAN AND LET THE REST TAKE ITS PLACE.HOPE THIS HELPS...

[/quote']

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that went through this. I hope my "green zone" is found sooner rather than later. I know I have a month to go before my first fill but I know time will fly by!!

Myshel I am not a vet but I do offer encouragement. Just by your post your guilt is punishment enough take that experience and move forward. Read through some of the post and you will find you are not even close to being alone there are a lot of people who fell but girl get up and stop felling sorry for yourself! When you know better you do better and no one is perfect. Forgive yourself and keep pushing forward because we have forgiven you already!!

Thank you soooo much!

I thank you all so much for your answers a needed a bit of stern reality and encouragement. I know I can do this. I'm a very strong person in all facets of my life other than my eating/food control but I just need to realize this is my health and it's very serious. I want to be healthy more than anything.