Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroidism & Lapband

So I am in the prelim of the Lapband and went to the doc today and he told me I had hypothyroidism. I talked to a surgeon and they said they don't like doing lap band on people with thyroid problems. I am at the tip top of the normal range ( I'm 4.96 normal is .3-5.0) but the doc said it bein that high means I have it. Has anyone ever had hypothyroidism and still had the Lapband?

I have had thyroid problems for over twenty years and I am having my surgery on may 14. I take synthriod 200 mg everyday. My de didn't say it was a problem.

I have hypothyroidism and it is well under control now, so my endocronologist(sp?) said there would not be a problem with having a lap-band. He said that since my thyroid levels are normal now, I'm no different than a person without a thyroid problem in terms of weight loss. I'm waiting right now for the insurance to approve the surgery, so I've been trying to eat better and get ready for the way I'll need to eat after the surgery... I've actually lost almost 10 lbs, and losing that weight was much easier than it was when my thyroid levels were high. But your doctor should definitely get you on some thyroid meds (you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel), and then talk to your doctor about surgery again and see what he has to say when your levels are good.

I too was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and went on a synthroid to correct my numbers. Both my family practitioner and my surgeon were OK with me getting the surgery. Of course, after the meds my numbers came down to 3.4 but this was 2 years before I applied to have surgery.

What you have could be treatable and can possibly be lowered rather quickly with the right meds. I'd talk to your surgeon and family Dr.

Interesting. I actually don't have a thyroid anymore because I had Graves' Disease (which is a severe form of hyperthyroidism) and had radiation to kill the thyroid almost three years ago. I am on daily medication for the rest of my life to replace the hormone.

My surgeon hasn't said anything about that hindering me. Hope it stays that way while I am in the process of getting approved. Definitely get on meds....it makes a world of difference.

same here...im also on synthroid. my primary nor the docs i seen through my pre-avals for the band ever said a word about it. i was banded on 4/26.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at the beginning of my band journey, but it did not hinder my surgery. I think as long as you are taking meds and your thyroid is stable, it shouldn't be a problem. If your surgeon is refusing to do the surgery, then find someone else. It's not the end of the world.

I was diagnosed in 2007, take two thyroid medications daily, and my surgeon had no problem....My sixth sense ( and I have one) is telling me that if this particular surgeon is giving you resistance about having a thyroid issue...find another one. Because think about it... if you have a thyroid issue, that acutally makes it harder to lose weight which scores points if your'e planning to use your insurance to finance it. He should know that in and of your self and your own efforts, thyroid disease makes it harder to lose weight. Not impossible,but harder. If you use him and things dont go as they should, he will always blame it on the thyroid.

Just confused as to whether your thyroid levels are high or low.

Hypo in front of something always refers to a low level e.g hypothyroidism,hypothermia,hypotension etc

If it is high then it is Hyper.

Not trying to be picky just trying to clear up which you have. And listening to Dr's, newsreaders etc it can be difficult to tell as they never seem to enunciate this well which means it is easy to confuse what they have said.

I have hypothyroidism as well..I was banded 11 months ago...just a slow loser..nuth. else is different

I have hypo. If its under .3 then it's hyper. 4.9 is hypo. I havnt said anything to surgery yet bc I just found out today and I havnt even had my consultations yet but I know someone told me that they wanted your thyroid under control before surgery

The test is for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, it checks the level of hormone released by the pituitary asking the thyroid for hormone. So it is inverse. High TSH means you are hypothyroid.

My guess would be that they want to know the reason you are hypo before proceeding, and get you treatment. Once that is figured out, then I'd imagine you'll be cleared. I had a nodule on my thyroid, had it radiated and now have minimal function. I take thyroxine daily. As long as I was being treated and my levels were normal, there was no issue. I would be uncomfortable with a surgeon who would proceed without further testing of it. If you had thyroid cancer or something that needed treatment now and they did band surgery without looking for the cause of the hypo?? ....wow...that would be negligent on their part in my opinion.

Just confused as to whether your thyroid levels are high or low.

Hypo in front of something always refers to a low level e.g hypothyroidism' date='hypothermia,hypotension etc

If it is high then it is Hyper.

Not trying to be picky just trying to clear up which you have. And listening to Dr's, newsreaders etc it can be difficult to tell as they never seem to enunciate this well which means it is easy to confuse what they have said.[/quote']

It's the opposite with thyroid. High levels of TSH indicate hypothyroidism.

And I'm hypo on synthroid and was banded a couple of weeks ago. It's not a big deal. Good luck!

Thanks I'm a nurse and after a long day I can't explain the thyroid Hahahha I start my meds tomorrow so I'll let you all know

I am too! Tricky little gland :)