Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band With Gastric Plication

Some of that 'full feeling" after a 1/2 cup of Soup or a pinch of fish will go away. You still have swelling. Hey, enjoy it. Your appetite will return and you will hold more. Example. Last night for dinner..3 ozs grilled chicken breast, 1/4 cup green Beans, 1 slice of Tomato (home grown !). I took 25 min to eat and got a bit hungry 3 hours later. I feel I could have added either more vegies or more chicken but my doctor says to stop eating after 20 min. I measure and weigh my food in the kitchen and try not to go back for 2nds of anything. I really dislike Protein Shakes. The one I have tastes ok (unjury Classic Chocolate) but I need to hear a crunch of feel real food in my mouth and this fake milkshake isn't it. As you can see, I am still learning and may even be experiencing a bit of bandster Hell...I really enjoy eating - that is how I got in this chunky shape.

\

Kah, Caroline and Scorpio - so glad to hear you ladies are doing so good. You can relax now and enjoy the ride a bit. I am a worrier so I worried about everything. I look back now and see that was silly. Drink your fluids and just follow the docs directions - you will do just great. That scale is going to drop like a rock over the next month ! ENJOY As for that first fill - that is a bit scarey, you don't know what to expect..It is not bad, goofy (getting stabbed in the belly with a needle) but it does not hurt. I go back next Friday for a fill and I think one is needed. I am eating the wrong foods again and that is no one's fault but my own. Craving junk ! the fill won't stop the craving, but it will make me think a bit longer before I indulge. Have a great weekend and keep us up to date on your progress...

Melinda in Florida

Melinda- do you feel like the plication eliminated some of the bandster hell? How soon after surgery did you get your first fill?

Kah - my first fill was 4 weeks after surgery - 1cc and then every month until recently. sometimes .5 sometimes 1cc. I have two unfills when they put too much in at one time. I don't know about Bandster Hell. I guess I feel like that now. I get hungry and I don't know if I have enough fill or not. When they do give me a fill I PB and reflux...some of my problems right now is me. I want to eat the wrong stuff. I think I am a bit confused. I don't regret the surgery I have lost a lot of weight and for that I am thankful. I get angry at myself for wanting the bad stuff and not being able to follow the plan as I should sometimes. Have a good weekend and hang in there...

Melinda

I have my first "fill" appointment on Tuesay and am a little nervous. Still don't get how I managed to gain weight when I've eaten less and of what I've eaten has been meat and vegetables, but oh, well. What can I expect on this appointment? I hate needles!! Melinda, what is PB? when I see that, I think peanut butter....

I have my first "fill" appointment on Tuesay and am a little nervous. Still don't get how I managed to gain weight when I've eaten less and of what I've eaten has been meat and vegetables' date=' but oh, well. What can I expect on this appointment? I hate needles!! Melinda, what is PB? when I see that, I think peanut butter....[/quote']

How was your fill?

How was your fill?

The experience wasn't as scary as I expected. I am back on only liquid again for last night and today then the Protein Shakes for the next two days. Here I thought I was done with them. It appears that I was not "following the rules" and that is why I was not losing as much weight as I should. I was having nuts as a snack - they're Protein, so I thought they were good, but NO SNACKING. Also, he says that when I think I am hungry, I am really just having an emotional moment and need to find something to do, that I am really not hungry. So I need to just eat meat, vegetables and drink Water. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night wondering if I really made the right decision in doing this.

LadyScoprio: OK, I know how you feel - "Did I make the right decision?" Only time is going to answer that question for you and only you will be able to answer that question. I can honestly tell you I have asked myself the same question..And privately I asked that question - as my Husband thinks I was nuts to have this done..that being said. I am down 90 pounds (yep, I have gained 3 pounds back) in 11 months. That is the size of a big kid..90 pounds..try picking up 90 pounds ! I could not have done it without this band and all the "stuff" that goes with it. I would say 90% of the time I eat exactly like I am supposed to. I eat meat, vegies and don't drink while eating (or on either side of eating). During the day, I drink Water, sparkling flavored water (ICE), 1 diet cola per day, Decaf iced tea..Yep, I snack from time to time - that is where the 3 pounds gain has come from. When I snack I grab a string cheese (low fat), 1/2 apple, pork rind chips, wheat pretzels (5) and sometimes a few nuts..I find I have to eat some of this stuff (bad according to my doctor) in order to keep my bowels working as they should (I am 60 yrs old). Am I loosing weight like HE would like for me to..Nope..but I am loosing and I am happy and I can live with this plan and for me THAT is what matters. I walk a bunch but I am finding that it is getting pretty hot here in Florida so I will be joining a gym next month (I just had foot surgery so I can't do anything yet). Walking or excerising will let you get away with adding some of your favorites back and some snacking - the doctor will say NO, but lets get real..you like to eat or you wouldn't have need this surgery and you aren't going to be happy or nice to others if you feel like you are miserable. Try not to dwell on what you can't have an play games with what you can eat..Just know that I and others are here to support you, kick your butt when you need it and cheer for you when you do good...hang in there Scorpio - it is not in your nature to quit !

Melinda in Jacksonville, Fla (Virgo)

Lady Scorpio - you asked what is PB - that is not Peanut Butter - although that sounds good right about now..PB is Productive Burping - in short - what you ate did not go through the band and is coming back up..you will slime (that is so gross) and you will feel as though you are having a heat attack and then (God willing) you will throw up what you ate. Now, why did you PB? You ate too big, too fast or too much (or all of the above). You will PB and you will say "never again" haha, like that is not going to happen. I did not have this problem until about my 3-4 month (after a couple of fills) when that band starts getting tighter the hole is smaller (don't forget to chew). I try to cut everything small in the beginning so I don't have to chew forever, I eat too fast and that is what usually causes mine. Trust me, when you PB/slime the first time you will know it is happening and you won't like it. Keep some papertowels handy ! Have a good day my friend and hang in there..this is just one of those bad side effects but you can and will deal with it and work through it. I am getting better in dealing with it and haven't had one in several weeks now.

Melinda

LadyScoprio: OK, I know how you feel - "Did I make the right decision?" Only time is going to answer that question for you and only you will be able to answer that question. I can honestly tell you I have asked myself the same question..And privately I asked that question - as my Husband thinks I was nuts to have this done..that being said. I am down 90 pounds (yep, I have gained 3 pounds back) in 11 months. That is the size of a big kid..90 pounds..try picking up 90 pounds ! I could not have done it without this band and all the "stuff" that goes with it. I would say 90% of the time I eat exactly like I am supposed to. I eat meat, vegies and don't drink while eating (or on either side of eating). During the day, I drink Water, sparkling flavored water (ICE), 1 diet cola per day, Decaf iced tea..Yep, I snack from time to time - that is where the 3 pounds gain has come from. When I snack I grab a string cheese (low fat), 1/2 apple, pork rind chips, wheat pretzels (5) and sometimes a few nuts..I find I have to eat some of this stuff (bad according to my doctor) in order to keep my bowels working as they should (I am 60 yrs old). Am I loosing weight like HE would like for me to..Nope..but I am loosing and I am happy and I can live with this plan and for me THAT is what matters. I walk a bunch but I am finding that it is getting pretty hot here in Florida so I will be joining a gym next month (I just had foot surgery so I can't do anything yet). Walking or excerising will let you get away with adding some of your favorites back and some snacking - the doctor will say NO, but lets get real..you like to eat or you wouldn't have need this surgery and you aren't going to be happy or nice to others if you feel like you are miserable. Try not to dwell on what you can't have an play games with what you can eat..Just know that I and others are here to support you, kick your butt when you need it and cheer for you when you do good...hang in there Scorpio - it is not in your nature to quit !

Melinda in Jacksonville, Fla (Virgo)

There is so much more to this than what I thought. How often do you need adjustments? How long do you keep this band? and what is the deal about drinking and eating?

i have my 1st pre-op appt with the doc tomorrow. i'm feeling pretty good, but I ate a couple of things I wasnt supposed to last night. anyway, the only thing that is still sore is the port area -- it feels like my ab muscle is still healing or something.

Question for you guys-- when I eat and feel full after a small quantity, is that my band? Or is that the plication making me feel full after such a small amount? I've only been banded 1.5 weeks. I had my post op doc appointment and they said there could be some Fluid in the band but they won't know until I start getting adjustments. I'm just curious.

Just got home from the doctor..Yep, I gained weight 4 stinking pounds in one stinking month !!!!Well, no one's fault but my own - I ate my way to those 4 pounds by eating the really bad stuff - not much of it - but I still ate it. I also noticed that last night I ate more dinner than usual and even then could have (and wanted to) eaten more. SOOOO, I got a fill. To quote Dr. Cywes, a big one, one that will let me know that I have eaten too much and I can expect to PB or slime when I do. He knows this won't last but a few weeks so he has me coming back in 3 weeks for a possible unfill of some. I could kick my self, I knew what was happening and I could not stop. The reason I am sharing all of this is becuase so many of you have asked me how I lost 93 pounds in 9 months...well on month 10 it is +4. It happens to all of us and I guess it was my turn. I knew when I got home I had to confess to all of you because your support means so much to me. That being said, have a great weekend everyone and don't do like me, follow the directions and let the band do what the band is supposed to do.

Melinda in Florida

i have my 1st pre-op appt with the doc tomorrow. i'm feeling pretty good' date=' but I ate a couple of things I wasnt supposed to last night. anyway, the only thing that is still sore is the port area -- it feels like my ab muscle is still healing or something.[/quote']

I was wondering that too about my ab muscle.. I'm not even very sore at this point around my port but I still am sore in my stomach area, especially in the evening. Hoping it goes away!

I was wondering about how full I get too, plication or band? I did eat 1/2 of a tuna sandwich on toasted sandwich thins today. It tasted so good. I feel like I need some carbs because my stomach gets do upset and gassy but I'm still losing so I'm going with it, at least for now.

HBU KAH... Watcha been eating?

I was wondering that too about my ab muscle.. I'm not even very sore at this point around my port but I still am sore in my stomach area, especially in the evening. Hoping it goes away!

I was wondering about how full I get too, plication or band? I did eat 1/2 of a tuna sandwich on toasted sandwich thins today. It tasted so good. I feel like I need some carbs because my stomach gets do upset and gassy but I'm still losing so I'm going with it, at least for now.

HBU KAH... Watcha been eating?

doc confirmed the ab muscle soreness is totally normal and it's healing from the port. as for food, i have "cheated" a couple of times with non-soft foods that arent on my list, but for the most part I have been eating eggs, mozzarella cheese, yogurt, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, and Soup. It's just crazy to me how fast i am full. my brain is like WHAT is happening here! LOL I know i am probably still eating too fast, and that's a hard habit to break and I'm working on it.

Just got home from the doctor..Yep, I gained weight 4 stinking pounds in one stinking month !!!!Well, no one's fault but my own - I ate my way to those 4 pounds by eating the really bad stuff - not much of it - but I still ate it. I also noticed that last night I ate more dinner than usual and even then could have (and wanted to) eaten more. SOOOO, I got a fill. To quote Dr. Cywes, a big one, one that will let me know that I have eaten too much and I can expect to PB or slime when I do. He knows this won't last but a few weeks so he has me coming back in 3 weeks for a possible unfill of some. I could kick my self, I knew what was happening and I could not stop. The reason I am sharing all of this is becuase so many of you have asked me how I lost 93 pounds in 9 months...well on month 10 it is +4. It happens to all of us and I guess it was my turn. I knew when I got home I had to confess to all of you because your support means so much to me. That being said, have a great weekend everyone and don't do like me, follow the directions and let the band do what the band is supposed to do.

Melinda in Florida

hang in there! you're still SUPER successful with losing 89 lbs, right? I think that's fabulous and I know you will reach your goal! :)