Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! My name is Mimi. I am 31 from NYC. I have been overweight, obese or now morbidly obese my whole life. Three years ago I was diagnosed with Moyamoya disease after having several "mini strokes.". I have endured countless evasive tests as well as a brain bypass so I'm not about to let my weight kill me. It's time I get serious about my health so I can live the long happy life I was meant to.

I am scheduled to see a Bariatric surgeon next week, so I am still very early in the process, but I have my mind made up -- I want the band. I decided on the band because of the short recovery process as I hope to be able to return to work within one week.

One thing that worries me is the insurance process. I have Oxford United Healthcare. Does anyone have experience in dealing with them?

I don't know anything about that insurance, however, welcome! I have found this forum to be a saving grace when I feel like no one else understands.

I don't know anything about that insurance' date=' however, welcome! I have found this forum to be a saving grace when I feel like no one else understands.[/quote']

Thank you so much! How long ago was your surgery?

I am still in the pre-op process :)

My first appointment is Tuesday and I am so nervous. The main thing I need to find out from the doctor is if I would still be able to drink the 4 liters of Water I am required to take in due to my other condition. It's nonnegotiable especially during the summer.

We're you nervous going into your first appointment? What questions did you ask?

You will still be able to drink 4 liters of Water, yes. You might not be able to chug, but to drink throughout the day, yes, no problem. Water intake is very important to a heathy bandster.

Welcome to the boards! You should be able to find your insurance co's requirements online, then give them a call and ask for their bariatric medical policy and your plan brochure.

You will still be able to drink 4 liters of water' date=' yes. You might not be able to chug, but to drink throughout the day, yes, no problem. Water intake is very important to a heathy bandster.

Welcome to the boards! You should be able to find your insurance co's requirements online, then give them a call and ask for their bariatric medical policy and your plan brochure.[/quote']

Thank you!

I did look up my insurance co's requirements online, but they are confusing. It states that the 6 month supervised jet is required, but I've known people in my BMI range get approved straight away without one.

I will take your advice and call the company directly plus I will ask the nurses at my doctor's office. Thanks again!

Thank you!

I did look up my insurance co's requirements online, but they are confusing. It states that the 6 month supervised jet is required, but I've known people in my BMI range get approved straight away without one.

I will take your advice and call the company directly plus I will ask the nurses at my doctor's office. Thanks again!

My insurance company required it, but I got it waived with proof of several previous attempts. I had done Weight Watchers for more than 6 months many times and still had the records. I gave them copies of that, along with personal diary entries from other attempts on my own.

So, sometimes it depends on what you have done in the past, and what you have documented.

Also, my personal belief is that the insurance companies do whatever they can to make it as confusing as possible and make it take as long as possible so that you will just go away :) Even though I did not have to do the 6 month diet, it still took me that long to do all the other tests and appointments and get approval. But it was oh so very worth it!

I was on Weight Watchers from 2009 to 2011 and failed miserably. I canceled my account, do you think my records may still be online?

I've never had experience with my insurance company making it difficult for me because I've only ever had to deal with neurologists and neurosurgeons so everything got green lighted with ease.

It's funny though that they make us jump through hoops for something that will essentially help them save money in the long run.

I first started feeling bad about my weight in 2009 when I got diagnosed with moyamoya. A brain bypass is the only effective treatment for it and the neurosurgeon at Yale was scared to operate on me because of my weight. I am not an emotional person, but that made me have a serious breakdown. I literally cried for weeks. I felt like I basically signed my own death certificate because I allowed myself to get THIS fat and it was keeping me from a life saving operation. It was really my lowest point.

It worked out in the end though. I found the best surgeon at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston (out of network, but my insurance company made some concessions for me) and I'm still alive today. Everything happens when it is supposed to happen so if I have to do the 6 month diet, I will because that is how it's meant to be. If I am serious about improving my quality of life, I have to start now.

Had my first consult today with Dr. Bonheur today! I am very excited. Even though my BMI is 47 and I could be a candidate for any of the WLS options, the doctor said that due to my other medical problems, the lap band is indeed the correct choice. More great news -- my insurance company doesn't require the 6 month diet, do as soon as I see the nutritionist, psych and all the other doctors, I should be good to go.

I feel like this is meant to be. I know it will be hard work, but I'm up to the challenge. The two week diet prior to the surgery is sure to be a challenge. Any advice from those of you who recently went through it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Good luck my first consult is next Friday . I'm super excited also

Hello,

I had my 1st Dr's visit yesterday and I go back on May 22nd for my psych, nutritionist & physical, YAY!! I'm very excited but until insurance approval, I'm trying to stay grounded! I'd like to know more about the 2 week diet before surgery, if anyone has any info. Please & Thanks! ~Maria

Thank you! If I wasn't so fat, I'd be doing cartwheels right now lol

Good luck with your consult!

Good luck to you and Mimi.

I'm set to be banded at some point in June. Should have something set soon.