Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions Prior To First Fill

Well I get my fist fill this wednesday! I'm excited and ready. I have some questions that I hope y'all can help with. Lately I really have not felt any restriction at all. I still feel full way before the past and still a small amount of food. Is that normal? My second question is what can I expect at the first fill. What should I look for as far as are there signs that it is too tight or signs of not tight enough? I look forward to the answers. This site and all of everyone's input has been very helpful and great. Thanks

Most people do not get restriction from their first fill. I had this fantasy I would! Not so much. You should be able to drink a glass a Water after your fill with no problems. Most doctors say to do full liquids for 24 hours and mushies for anotehr 24. It can take up to 2 weeks for a fill to take effect. Once your doctor moves you back to solids if you can not eat 3 oz of solid Protein you are too tight. Do not be afraid to ask your doctor for a small unfil say .1-.2 CCs

I've only had 2 fills since my surgery 12/28/11. After the 1st fill, I felt no restriction. Since the 2nd fill, I have (to my surprise) noticed a difference. I agree with everything Honk advised. In addition, I would say. If you experience a lot of belching when drinking that full glass of Water required after the fill, you are likely to be too tight and really suffer later. So, I would request a slight unfill if you experience that.

Luckily, I have not experienced a stuck episode. I can still eat absolutely anything including breads, pastas, rice, tortillas, etc. (I read a lot of people struggle getting these things down once they achieve restriction ). Hopefully, I'll continue to be so lucky. Since my 2nd fill, I get full after a hand full of food. So, I'm not consuming many carbs anyway by default. By some standards my weight loss has been moderate. Down 32 lbs. so far. I'm very pleased.

5 fills for me and never felt any restriction until fill 3. I still need at least one more fill. I started feeling stuck with most any kind of food with fill 3. Most of it is due to still taking too large a bite and not chewing fully. I've had to slow down, take much smaller bites and chew, chew, chew.

Most of my stuck episodes feel like my pouch is trying to work food through my stomach and it's not real painful. Mostly it feels uncomfortable and I know I have to sit back and wait about 10 minutes for the food to pass before I can take another bite.

I too started eating less after fill 2 but I've only lost 22 lbs. I still get very hungry between meals so it's still a struggle to not eat and that's something I hadn't planned on. My experience so far is not the textbook examples we say and heard prior to surgery. Still, I'm glad I did it.

tmf

I had my first fill last wednesday. All went well it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Got my fill then they check it with X-ray and noticed nothing was passing through. So my Dr. took some out. I have noticed that I am constantly thirsty now. It seems I can't get enough Water. All I'm drinking is water and sugar free cool aid. Maybe one cup of coffee this week and of course my Protein Shakes. Anyone have a suggestion on hydration. Or if this is normal.