Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Important Is Exercise?

Hi! I have my surgery may 11 and have a treadmill in my basement. I am thinking about getting a gym membership for weight training and an assortment of cardio but was wondering how exercise has effected your weight loss? Any tips on what exercises made you lose the most?? Anyone not exercise at all or minimally and still lost? ADVICE!!!

great question ! i joined the ymca about 6 weeks before being banded and found out i hated weights and the treadmill, but found out i loved the Water fitness classes, and i cant wait to get to those 3-4 times a week. along with walking occasionaly those classes have helped me lose 32 lbs in 4 months and i look and feel so much better !! My energy is going up while my too loose pants are falling down ! Exercise has definetly helped with my weight loss. I just plain feel better and my body is toning up better too. good luck !

Well for me if I was going to go to this length to get healthy, then damnit I wanna look good nekked too....
:lol:
Can you lose "weight" and get "healthier" by just eating less and not exercising? Perhaps... there are a few on LBT who had made it to "goal" and not exercised... But there is no way you are reaching your true potential without exercise.

We all are/were carrying massive amounts of excess body fat when we were banded. There is no way you can lose all of your excess body fat and look tight and firm in front of that mirror nekked without exercising... And there is no substitute to sufficient exercise.... period...

Brad

Definitely exercise! Apart from discovering that I enjoy it, I do believe it has made a significant difference in my weight loss.

There are so many benefits to excersise- it will impove your cardiovascular system and your pulminary system (lungs). Not only do you burn fat while your doing it, it increases your metabolism all day long. It's really tough to get stated, took me about 4 months post op. I started out will a slow walk for 20 minutes and gradually inreased my duration/intensity. I now walk briskly on an incline for 45 minutes, twice a day when I can. Just do it!

I am about 8 lbs from goal, and sadly I am guilty of not exercising. It can be done, but I wish I had more time to exercise. I run a daycare center with 80 kids and it is dificultvto find the time. I do however put about 10,000 to 15,000 steps on pedometrer a day just by doing my normal daily axtivities. My doctor just told me at my year that he would like to see those last 8 come off with exercise. we will see... ;)

I've started running and I actually like it:) It really surprised me that I enjoy it so much. I need to start weight training though.

I am about 8 lbs from goal, and sadly I am guilty of not exercising. It can be done, but I wish I had more time to exercise. I run a daycare center with 80 kids and it is dificultvto find the time. I do however put about 10,000 to 15,000 steps on pedometrer a day just by doing my normal daily axtivities. My doctor just told me at my year that he would like to see those last 8 come off with exercise. we will see... ;)

wow you are amazing!!! running around children would be considered exercise FOR SURE!! hehehe all the best with the last 7lbs :)

A friend and I both were down about 80 pounds at one year. I worked out and she didn't. We both ate approximately 1000 calories a day. And she is almost 20 years older than me!

Looking at your profile I don't think you will loose a lot of weight without exercise. You would need to really reduce calories alot to get a 3500 calorie deficet required to loose one pound. And if you have a really low calorie intake will you get enough Protein. Lack of Protein will lead to the body burning Lean Muscle which should be read as Heart Muscle.

Long before being banded my desk at work got moved FAR AWAY from the cafe. Because my knee hurt so bad I started to bring lunch because I didn't want to walk to the Cafe. I lost about 20 pounds just from changing my eating habits. I was however about 380 pounds; I don't see that happening for someone at your weight.

i havent been on here in a while i lost right at 111lbs in 8 months with no exercising, and no fills, i did gain back around 14-18lbs and just lost 10 in this week alone...so it can be done, and i stay around 1200 calories, when im not at Starbucks.. nothing wrong with excersing i think it makes you feel good about your self too!!

No doubt you can "lose weight" without exercise... But will you have the same body composition? No way! Will you be as healthy? No way! Are you gonna look as good in front of the mirror? Assuredly not! If we're going to great lengths like surgery to accomplish our goal, then lets tip that scale as far in our favor as we can.

Brad

I didn't excercise for the first few months and then gradually stepped it up. In my book, the advantage of weight training in particular is that it lets you eat and weigh a lot more than you would/could otherwise. The minute I stop weight training the pounds fall off, but not in a good way. Pump Iron and you'll lose fat instead of muscle and will get to enjoy a cookie when you feel like it.

I just had my first fill 2 days ago. I just ran 2 miles on the treadmill...and my port area is very sore....is this normal? I'm a little worried.