Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Removed And Still Have Restriction!

This is the weirdest thing and I hope someone can help me figure it out.

I had my band removed 3 weeks ago due to erosion. I am back on regular food and last night we had steak. It was very tender and I still tried to chew well but I think I may have taken too large of a bite because I got stuck! I mean majorly stuck! Sliming, burping, some pain, the whole nine yards. This lasted for a couple of hours! I finally got past it but today I am taking it easy and having Soups and Protein drinks etc.

I noticed when they did the fluroscope at my post op that the area where my band was is still very narrow. In fact, when I watched the Fluid go through the esophagus and into the stomach, it looked and acted like there was still a band there. I attributed it to post-op swelling and the fact that I had 40% erosion of my into my stomach but figured it would ease up eventually and I would be able to eat like I could pre-band.

I'm just wondering if this type of restriction will continue or ease up after time. I'm planning on revising to the sleeve once I have healed from the 1st surgery but at the moment, I still feel like I have a lap band! LOL

Definitely going to take it easy on the meat going forward!

Wow, sounds like it could be swelling from the erosion and surgery. Your stomach probably shrank some with the band as well. I would guess that it would stretch back out some as time goes by. Good luck to you!

it might last for a short while. Think of the band like you would think of a ring on your finger. If you wear it long enough, even when you take it off,there is a depression around your finger from where the wedding band was located. It will just take some time for that to go away.

I had my band removed on the 10th. I was told that with any unnatural thing in your body it will create scar tissue. That is probably what you are feeling. My dr said it might stretch a little but if you know anything about scar tissue it is really strong. That is what wr are left with after our bands are removed. Bands are removable but not reversible.

I just had my band removed on the 10th. It's normal for scar tissue to develope where the band was. That is what you are feeling. My dr said the scar tissue may stretch a little but if you know anything about scar tissue it is really strong.

It is also possible that you may have oesophagal dysmotility.