Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well my appt is tomorrow. All I am sure of is they will be doing everything in one day, including Psych eval. I am nervous but excited too. I have been reading these forums and blogs for a couple of months searching for and idea of what to expect tomorrow. Seems like it could be anything. The scary part to me is the insurance, I do have coverage, I guess i have read so many "horror" stories. Anyways I think its wonderful there is a site like this. Seems there are a lot of supporive people on here. :) Any one else want to share their consult appt experience??

Thanks in Advance

Lisa

If your doctor is anything like mine, I had a very easy time. The insurance company made me jump through hoops to get the surgery approved, but the doctors office helped me through every step of the way. All my stuff was spread out because the insurance company wanted me to be on a 4 month doctor controlled diet. So I had 4 months to get all that stuff done. It has been a wonderful experience and I have so far lost 128lbs. You will look back at your journey and smile knowing that you took a huge step in the right direction. Good luck!

I want this advice too :) my insurance company only requires a letter from my doc but I don't know what my doc requires yet. I go for a group meet and greet with the surgeon next tues. I hope I don have to do a 6 month diet.

Thanks for your words. At the seminar I went to a few months ago, they took our insurance information and they called me back a week later. They told me I had to do a 6 month diet, I found odd because of my plan. Sure enough they called a month later and the information was wrong. My plan (BCBS NY) required no diet. I was not even mad, but I was very happy. Well im off to my day that includes this appt today. Almost cant believe its here today and this is just my consult. ^_^

My first consult was with a Nutritionist, Nurse Practioner, and Psychologist. I did not meet with the Surgeon for about a month. My insurance did not require a diet but the nurse felt my abdomen and told me I needed to loose 35 pounds before they could do surgery. My insurance company approved me in a week. The called to discuss the surgery with me before I even got the approval letter. My doctor required a recent pap smear,mammogram, cario ultrasound. Since I had just done them I just need to have the results sent to the surgeon.

My doctor did require several sessions with a eating disorder pscyologist. If your doctor does not require one I highly recommend you see one on your own! The band is at least a 50% mental battle. Especially the first 6 months until you get restriction. The band will never stop you from eating candy, ice cream those sessions helped me learn new eating habits.

I will just say thank your lucky stars if your insurance even considers paying. I called mine the other day and they said all obesity and morbid obesity issues are excluded. I pay over $800 a month for my insurance (BCBSTX)! What a (*&@)*&^ rip-off!!! I can only hope that if I do have band or sleeve and there are any complications, that they will cover those as "medically necessary", but that too is a gamble.

I also had my consultations all on the same day. The psych eval is a breeze, they pretty much want to make sure you understand that surgery isn't a cure, its a tool. Also, they make sure you understand the risks and discuss any underlying psych conditions such as anxiety or depression. I also met with a nutritionist who discussed the surgery itself, how it changes the anatomy, and what types of things I will be eating after surgery. Then I attended a required educational class which went over all aspects of the pre-op, surgery, and recovery. Also, I met with my surgeon who disscued my choice of lap-band over other surgical options.

A week later I had a required endoscopy,which was the most stressful part of the entire process. My insurance required a 6 month diet. I asked my pcp to sign paperwork stating that I had been dieting and exercising for the past year and submitted that as my 6 month diet. Much to my surprise, my insurance accepted it and approved my surgery!! I am having surgery on 4/23.

txdee it has to be your employer, they are the one who pick whats what on the plan. I am suprised by the things my insurance will cover i.e ( fertility) Ill take my blessing but for you...maybe you can squeeze in financing. I think its worth a chance for the sake of our lives. :)

Thanks for all your responses

Christine0x0x,

Sounds like things have gone smoothly enough for you. I hope the same for my self. The lady called me to confirm my appt had basically described what you are saying far as who I will see. It is basically going to a long afternoon appt. I dont know about the endoscopy, that does sound stressful. I know that I have to see my cardiologist. I think that and insurance may be my largest hurddle.

:) Pray your surgery goes well!!

Lisa, hope your appt's went well. My friend went with a different network and got totally different results and different rules when it came to insurance and what was required. Her Dr moved her along quickly and she just had surgery. I just got approved by my doctor team and still have several appts before they even schedule surgery date and it hasn't even gone to my insurance yet. This going on 5 months.

Thankyou. My appt went well. Turns ou alll my insurance required is the right BMI and a psych evaluation. I completed both. They told me they would get back with me in 2 weeks and let me know when they submitted to insurance. I am pleased. I hope your paper work and appts get rolling and ready for surgery. :)