Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian Recipes

I was banded on 8/23/10. I started out as a meat eater but had such trouble getting any kind of meat down. I decided to go veg for this and other reasons. I've been a vegetarian for about 6 months now and I'm a little limited on recipes. Anyone know of any band friendly recipes that are also vegetarian friendly?

I'm going into this as a vegan and the possibilities are endless. Start googling by a vege cook book. Many resources out there. Thank for your choice to go vege...it's better for your health the animals and our earth!

I thought I was the only who couldn't eat meat!!

I'm fixin to do all vegetarian foods also..

What's your b,l,d menu like??

Buffalogyrl, I have found and saved many vegetarian recipes as this isn't my first attempt at going veg. I did it a few years back for the health benefit. I guess I didn't really care much about my health because I gave it up at the drop of a hat. This time around its for a completely different reason. As I said, I can't really get meat down, but this wasn't the main reason I decided to rule out meat. I have a huge passion for animals so going vegetarian has been very easy. Just the thought of what these poor animals go through makes me sick to my stomach. But yeah, back to the subject of recipes...I seem to have trouble finding band friendly recipes.

Thundarump, haha so did I! I have an aunt who is also banded and has no problem eating meat. I'm sorry but I'm pretty new to this site, what does b,l,d mean? Lol

Lmao I think I got it. Breakfast, lunch, dinner right?! Lol. Well normally I'll either have a Greek yogurt, oatmeal, or Protein Shake for breakfast. Lunch and dinner kind of vary for me. I know we aren't really supposed to have grains but I actually dont really have much trouble getting them down( most of the time). So I eat a lot of brown rice and Beans and whole wheat pastas. Lately I havent been eating very healthy thought. I'm pretty much at my goal weight so I just have to worry about keeping the weight off.

I have tried going vegetarian a few times and I really love eating that way, but I have a hard time eating vegetables. I have no problem with meat. I don't eat as much meat as I used to and may eventually end up following a vegetarian diet in the future. I ordered a Juicer the other day and I can't wait for it to come in. I am looking forward to juicing lots of vegetables and fruits! I am ready to get in some great nutrients without having to struggle with eating it.

I have never attempted going vegan though. I followed a Lacto-Ovo vegetarian diet a while back and it worked well for me.

Good luck, everyone!

Georgia girl. I also have issues with vegetables at times. That's one thing I hate about this band. It's unpredictable. Sometimes I can eat broccoli, sometimes it comes right back up. What I really need is a food processor. It would make my life a hell of a lot easier. I have thought about going vegan but I don't really have a steady job so I most likely would not be able to afford the life style. Unless of course I ate only vegetables lol ;)

Georgia girl, don't be afraid to try some simple tofu recipes like my favorite, tofu egg salad. Now I'm not banded yet but I think this might be easy for the band.b/ c it's soft. If u have a food processor take about. 2 celery stalks 2 carrots 2 green onions 1/2 green pepper and chop them up I use the bean sprouted tofu. 3 oz packs 12g of Protein. Oh but crumble up the whole block. Then ad some mustard, I like honey Dijon, vegan aisle, and relish. I ad a little bit of pepper and thyme mix up and eat! It taste better the next day. Now most of my recipes are by taste. Not good with measurements but google some tofu salad recipes. Also I have a via mix blender but any super high power blender will work. Start drinking your veges. Just don't be shocked at how good u will feel. Its very cleansing for your body! When I started juicing regularly my skin became baby soft it was amazing! I'm pre op, and the nutritionist I'm working with is asking me for vegan recipes and I'm allowed to juce as many veges as i want, i just have to watch the amount of fruit since of course that is where all the calories come from. Back to the salad. If the finely chopped veges are to much try the salad without. Let me know your thoughts good luck. I'm waiting to be approved for a personal loan than I can finally schedule this thing and get started back to good health. I'm tired of being fat!

Buffalogyrl Good luck! I assure you it will be worth it. I have so many people ask me if I'd recommend the surgery and I always tell them yes 100%. It was life changing for me. I'm a completely different person than I was 125lbs ago :)

A really good cookbook is Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She is a vegan magician. Anything can be band food if you choose the right portion and chew a lot. My favorite recipe from the book is Quinoa Puttanesca. It has quinoa, tomatoes, kalamata olives, and capers. It is very filling. You get a nice variety of recipes.< /p>

Oh, and that book has nutrition information for all the recipes. You might try www.vegweb.com for free recipes.