Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me about reaching goal?

So.... I'm curious for all of you all who have either reached goal or are close. What I'm most curious about is the fill issue.

With most diets... lets say Weight Watchers for example when you reach goal they have you add points (or food) until you stop losing and just maintain. With the lap-band do you go for an unfill? Do you just start leveling off? Or do you still struggle right at the end with 10 - 15 pounds to go and it never comes off.

One reason I'm asking is I reached goal at weight watchers a few times and it was so hard right at the end. It's like the weight wouldn't budge any longer. Even when I was supposed to add points back to stop losing I couldn't because I'd gain. (I'd stopped losing any how)

My thought for the band would be if I'm stuck then I'd just get a fill but I'm not sure I'm thinking correctly? Is that what you all do?

Any stories would be appreciated.

Hi there, I am so close to goal, that I can smell it, but I haven't actually reached it. I set a goal of 137 for myself, but remain at 141-143. I have not been working at getting there, so that is to blame. I am not excercising and eat cake and pie quite often. So here is my story, Around Christmas time I was around 151, then I went for a fill, cause I was headed on vacation and wanted to lose another 10 lbs, well on vacation I got down to about 141 and let me tell you I looked really good. That is when I finally realized that I wasn't fat anymore, yep everyone had been telling me but it had not clicked yet. I saw a picture of me on my sil digital camera and I saw the new me.. a thinner me, not a fat me. Well, we went dancing on vacation and my husband looked at me and said, I really don't think you need to lose anymore weight, you look perfectly fine at this weight and thats enough. I was going to get another fill on the way back from Mexico, but he didn't let me. He said I look perfect at this weight, so you see, even though I am practically at goal, I am so happy with the way I look that I haven't worked hard at reaching my goal. I have a wedding to attend on April 29 and I am hoping to lose the last 5 lbs to get to goal by then. I have bought the dress I'm wearing and it looks fabulous, so the 5 lbs lost will let me look Oscar worthy... he, heee... I am not gaining which is good, so I haven't gotten any fills since the last one about 4 mo ago. So there that is my story, sorry if I ramble on and on.

If you want to see some pictures of me go to

photoreflect.com and in the events name enter Hernandez, Estella

and then the password is Bianca

It is so great to hear of these success stories from the lap banding. There have been times when I felt discouraged about getting it thinking perhaps I couldn't lose on it, but you have certainly proven to me that it works. I'm going to work as hard as possible with mine and can't wait until I get it and join the ranks so to speak.

hi I am still 30lbs from goal it feels like it will never get here. I have heard and have friends who have reached goal and they just kept the amount of Fluid that is in the band. There is no need to have fluid removed you just kind of balance out and maintain. There may even come a point after you reach goal say 1 year down the road or something that you may start losing that feeling of satiety and need to go in for a little adjustment to help you maintain. The fluid in the band over time can like evaporate. Kind of like if you put a jar with some Water in it and put on the lid eventually the water in the jar would be gone. Hope I helped Dawner:o

I am only 5lbs to my goal weight. The hard part now is keeping it off!!!!!!!!!!!

I will go for fills if I need them, But it is less and less frequent now.

If this cold weather would only go away, I could walk outside.

Everyone has to remember that this is ONLY a tool. Your life style really does need to change to make this work, You can email me at mom8581@charter.net if you have any questions. Please put lap band on the subject line or I won't open it.

Harriet

Hi there, I am so close to goal, that I can smell it, but I haven't actually reached it. I set a goal of 137 for myself, but remain at 141-143. I have not been working at getting there, so that is to blame. I am not excercising and eat cake and pie quite often. So here is my story, Around Christmas time I was around 151, then I went for a fill, cause I was headed on vacation and wanted to lose another 10 lbs, well on vacation I got down to about 141 and let me tell you I looked really good. That is when I finally realized that I wasn't fat anymore, yep everyone had been telling me but it had not clicked yet. I saw a picture of me on my sil digital camera and I saw the new me.. a thinner me, not a fat me. Well, we went dancing on vacation and my husband looked at me and said, I really don't think you need to lose anymore weight, you look perfectly fine at this weight and thats enough. I was going to get another fill on the way back from Mexico, but he didn't let me. He said I look perfect at this weight, so you see, even though I am practically at goal, I am so happy with the way I look that I haven't worked hard at reaching my goal. I have a wedding to attend on April 29 and I am hoping to lose the last 5 lbs to get to goal by then. I have bought the dress I'm wearing and it looks fabulous, so the 5 lbs lost will let me look Oscar worthy... he, heee... I am not gaining which is good, so I haven't gotten any fills since the last one about 4 mo ago. So there that is my story, sorry if I ramble on and on.

If you want to see some pictures of me go to

photoreflect.com and in the events name enter Hernandez, Estella

and then the password is Bianca

I loved your story. It's so great. Really that's the type of story I was looking for. Also, I think I might be comfortable in my own skin a bit higher then the goal I sat but I wanted to go for the "gusto"... I'll see how I feel when I get close to it. I couldn't get to your pictures, I'm not sure if Photo Reflect is down but it said that website couldn't be found.

I got in to your pictures... I tried again and it worked. The pics are great. You look really great. I love the ones with the brown top and the jeans.

thank you both. I had not noticed that your goal weight is 125, how did you come about deciding that number? I looked at the normal weight ranges for my height and chose a number withing that range. I think that maybe when you get closer to your goal you will know that you will be more comfortable at a different weight goal than what you set for yourself. So don't be so mind focused on a number. The real goal is to get to a healthy normal weight where you can feel comfortable. Don't stress about this your body will tell you what is right for you.

I think I picked that number because it is small and seems like I would maybe look like a model when I got to it. Ha Ha.

Your right though, the closer I get I will have to see. I'm 5'3. So I look short and dumpy right now.

Estela,

I loved your story also, and can relate to what you are saying...part of what you said about your husband is one of my reasons for finally deciding to take the plunge and make my mind up and have the surgery done.

I want my husband to look at me the way he did 8 years ago when we started dating and REALLY think I look great! He has been such a great guy over the past 8 years and never has said one thing about my yo-yo lifestyle, but loves me no matter what.

When I read your post, I cried, that is a moment I can't wait for - my husband to say you've lost enough weight NO MORE!

Now if my doctor will get off of vacation so I can get back into her office and give her the yes to go ahead with my paperwork for my ins co LOL

It took me over a year of research and deciding (although there really wasn't anything to decide) and I call and find out she's on vacation for 2 weeks:speechles

I feel like I finally have a chance to be me again.

BTW you look gorgeous and I hope in a year or so I can post my success also.

Wow, Estela, you look great. Seeing your pics just gave me the motivation I needed to get off my rear and get focused again. I was starting to get too relaxed about my weightloss, thinking that I was content with where I am at now. Seeing your success really showed me that it is possible to lose more. I just need to put in a little more exercise. Your success is very inspiring!