Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Newbie - My ?: Can I Ever Eat Semi-Normal Again?

I love chicken, diet soda, nuts, asparagus - all the things I'll be asked to give up, at least in the beginning - I guess, I hope! It's not like those things are Desserts, fried or horribly fattening! I just started my lap band research this weekend - can't even make a consultation appointment because nothing is open over the weekend.

Is it safe to say that I can eat whatever my body can tolerate (eventually)?

Yes, I want to lose weight, but I also might want to splurge now and then - like holidays, my birthday, etc. I would like a balance!

Comments, please?

It varies from person to person, there are no guarantees.

I love asparagus and still eat it on a regular basis. I know some people still drink soda but I avoid anything carbonated. I eat nuts as a snack all the time. chicken and my band don't get along. Unless it is rotisserie chicken, I won't eat it.

I think you will be able to find balance. Maybe while you are in the losing stage you will find more restrictions than you would like. But once you hit maintenance, you can try removing Fluid in the band to allow for more foods.

Some foods aren't worth the pain and you will find your tastes change. I used to loooooove steak. Love it. I can't stand it now. At first I was pissed that my band and steak did not get along. And watching others eat it pissed me off. But about two weeks ago my family celebrated a birthday at a steakhouse and I tried a small bite of hubby's. Found out I don't like steak anymore. It tastes nasty and metallic to me now. Weirdest thing ever.

It is frustrating at times, but you start liking different foods. And appreciating smaller quantities. I still have desert occasionally. But now it is a bite, maybe two bites of cake and I am done. I enjoy those two bites. A little sweetness without all the guilt.

You will never be able to eat the same volume as before without risking damage to the band or your body. There will probably be foods you can never eat again because you simply can't tolerate them. I haven't had any carbonation since surgery and I was a crazy soda fiend. Bacon is not my friend anymore, and I can't eat breadsticks or very doughy breads. It's different for everyone, and the only to find out is trial and error. Honestly, not being able to eat certain foods any more is a small price to pay for getting my health and self-esteem back, so don't let that deter you from getting the lap band.

I will comment on you questions ...First I'm not banded, I will June 6th. But I could tell you something....Try the liquid diet for the 3 days and then change to puree and then try to just eat 1 cup or so of good food. Well chewed and slowly and see if you wll ok with that....This is why I'm telling you this....I try this as if I had the band and could n't do it by myself. But with the band you will get full and will eat with your eyes but no tthe stomach...it will let you know how much you can take. But making sure that the only little food that you are going to eat is full of all the nutrients you need....I have friends that has the band but they can't control what the eat and they will gain all the weight back......I hope it helps.....But no questions nor doubts I'm getting it !

Thanks, that tells me some of what I needed to know! Funny, I love steak, but I can totally give it up, I eat it so infrequently anyway. Same for sweets; I know once I don't eat them for a while, they will taste yucky sweet. I mean, yea, some things I can give up permanently, but some things that I listed...not so much. I know I can sub tea for carb. sodas, it will just take some effort. chicken has always been my go-to fast food; you know, order the sandwich but eat none or little of the bun. Or a salad with chicken, but salad without chicken - bland and boring to me.

Why rotisserie chicken though? The dark meat?

I have a problem with chewing and eating slowly; that is something I will have to work on, but I know I can do it.

Seems to me like it is all basically a focus shift from living to eat to eating to live.

It is no longer a vanity thing, it is all health (I'm in my mid-50's); but it would be cool to be able to shop in a "regular" clothing store again!

Thanks for the suggestion of the "dry run" - eating AS IF you had already had the band. I was on Medifast one time for 6 weeks and had not ONE bite of food, but of course I gained all that weight (70 lbs.) back right away.

One reason I haven't had the surgery until now is that I do fear I will gain all the weight back...and I don't know how I would forgive myself if that happened.

Thanks for all the responses.

Why rotisserie chicken though? The dark meat?

It is moister.

chicken is hard to prepare where it isn't dry. Unless you are adding sauces, mixing with mayo, etc. I am trying to avoid the extra calories of sauces, so cooking chicken as my main Protein doesn't work for me. I have just gotten stuck one too many times with it. Maybe you have great recipes where chicken won't be an issue.

I tend to lean towards fish as my main Protein. I love fish so that works for me. I can take or leave chicken so I haven't really tried to make it work.

The only thing on your list that I don't have as a part of my regular diet is soda. I have chicken, usually white meat, 3 to 4 times per week. As long as I have small bites (about the size of the first section of my pinkie finger) and I chew it well, I don't have any issues with chicken.< /p>

I try to limit nuts to pistachios (lowest calorie nut) and I measure the quantity (because I have no self control), I have no issues with them.

Regarding asparagus, I don't eat most of the stalk. I only eat the tender top sections.

I had my lap band surgery December 2006. There are certain foods I avoid eating. . . like sandwiches. Well sometimes when I go out with a group and sandwiches are the only option, I eat around the sandwich and I use a knife and fork. I have cut way back on my bread consumption. I used to have bread with all my meals. . . toast for Breakfast, sandwich for lunch and dinner rolls with my evening meals. Having the lap band forces me to eat slower and chew my food. . . something that I knew I should have been doing anyway. I am so grateful that I had my surgery. I went from a size 16 to a size 2. . . not overnight. It took a few years to get there. I guess I reached my goal last year and I have been able to keep the weight off.

Good luck!

The only thing I won't/can't have is the diet soda, but I won't drink anything with carbonation. It's the only thing my surgeon says I can not ever have and I follow that rule- it's not worth a slip or worse.

I can eat anything I want so long as I take very small bites, chew chew chew, and pause between bites.

I know I need to give up diet sodas anyway; there is so much controversy about them. I will miss Olive Garden breadsticks, but oh well.

I see that I need to concentrate on the positive aspects (better health, etc.) and not dwell on the things that I must give up, such as diet sodas and Gummy bread, etc.

Is there a trick to retraining yourself to taking small bites and chewing slowly?

I know I need to give up diet sodas anyway; there is so much controversy about them. I will miss Olive Garden breadsticks, but oh well.

I see that I need to concentrate on the positive aspects (better health, etc.) and not dwell on the things that I must give up, such as diet sodas and Gummy bread, etc.

Is there a trick to retraining yourself to taking small bites and chewing slowly?

Why would you have to give up Olive Garden breadsticks? It's not something you'd want to eat daily but why not have one as an occasional treat? Like I said earlier, there isn't anything I can't eat. Some of us can eat "normal" just smaller portions.

I didn't have to retrain myself to take small bites and chew thoroughly once I had restriction in my band, because if I take too big a bite or don't chew enough, it gets stuck and is very uncomfortable. Granted it passes on it's own relatively quickly but it's extremely unpleasant. After feeling that sensation once or twice was enough to "retrain" me :)

I guess I should have said "worst case scenario", if my body won't tolerate breadsticks, I would have to give them up, I guess - from what I have read. I'm new at this, I'm taking everything at face value. If it says I can't eat doughy bread, then I assume that possiblity exists. In trying to make my decision if this is something I'm prepared to do, I'm asking myself some tough questions.

It's kind of scary. It's a lot of money to spend! I realize now that it is not a quick fix; there is a LOT of work involved. But obviously, I can't do it on my own. I'm a big chicken too; otherwise I'd probably just get the gastric sleeve and be done with it.

I can normal! I just eat way less and i go for the low calorie and healthy version of the things 97% of the time but the other 3% i eat some things that arent too healthy on occassion. But i cant gaurentee that for you.. i also do not have a fill in my band either but not being able to eat certian things to me is okay as long as i am healthier and loosing weight! good luck with whatever you decide! :)