Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctors post op instructions say that I need to completely illuminate caffeine from my diet for the next couple weeks... How important do you think this is? I mean is it that big of a deal? I usually take this multi Vitamin that I LOVE, but, it has caffeine and garuana in it... Can I continue to take it??

My doctors post op instructions say that I need to completely illuminate caffeine from my diet for the next couple weeks... How important do you think this is? I mean is it that big of a deal? I usually take this multi Vitamin that I LOVE, but, it has caffeine and garuana in it... Can I continue to take it??

Idaho Jenn... i have been drinking caffeine since the day of the surgery.. and it hasnt hurt me one little bit. i wonder why your dr advised against it? there must be something in it that i dont know about.... anyway, its not hurting me at all. i wouldnt worry about it. In fact, if my dr told me to stay away from it i would want a very very good reason to stay off it.

Ah... the good old caffeine and coffee debates... :D

Some surgeon's absolutely forbid coffee and caffeine... others say whatever you can personally tolerate... I love telling people of the story of my surgeon coming into the recovery room and letting me sip coffee... :D I have drank coffee ever since...

I'm not one to encourage breaking your surgeon's rules, but I would encourage you to challenge their advice with logic. There really isn't anything I don't eat or drink these days, even if only once in awhile... And yes, that includes coffee, ice cream, alcohol, diet soda, pizza, and every other thing that some people are strictly forbidden against or their band might swell up and cause their head to explode... :lol:

It could be that your Dr. want you to be careful of becoming dehydrated. Some Dr.'s look at coffee as being a diuretic.

I agree that I would research and ask your doctor some pointed questions. I also do not encourage breaking your doctors orders. After reading here many doctors forbid coffee I asked "So I guess I can only have Decaf from now on?" To which he replied "Why?" My nutritionist said there is some evidence it is a diuretic and can stimulate hunger; but she did'nt see it as a huge issue. I have one cup of regular in the morning and switch to decaf. My coffee consumption is higher at work when I am bored. At least I am drinking calorie free coffee (I take it black with splendra) rather than eating the Cookies that get put out.

my surgeon didn't want patients drinking caffeine for the first two weeks post-op... Can't remember why, as I'm not a coffee drinker.

Decided to go ahead and take the Vitamin even though it had caffeine and garuana in it... I took it with a small cup of skim milk as sometimes it can upset my tummy... Probably not even 10 minutes later I was running to the bathroom!! Fortunately I had not eaten yet today so didn't throw anything up, just had some major dry heaves!! But after that little episode I was fine!

I have been so proud that I am a whole out of surgery and haven't thrown up! (apparently virtually everybody throws up at least a couple times in the first month... Almost lost the bragging rights, but I say dry heaves don't count!!

Next time will try to take the vitamin with some yogurt? Maybe that'll help?

I dont know where my original post went, but caffine is a laxative!! It will make you go to the bathroom, especially if you aren't eating much to begin with.

Secondly....it will dehydrate you. It pulls the Water of of your cells (thats why it is a laxative)

I have worked with a lot of doctors over the years....very few throw out rules for no reason. If you don't agree with a rule, I would suggest you call and talk to your doctor...he can explain the reasoning behind the rule....maybe he would say yes to the Vitamin.....But I wouldn't just decide not to listen to the doctor....if something were to go wrong, you will worry yourself to death thinking you messed something up.

As pretty much already stated- caffine is a diuretic and increases appetite. That being said, I am a huge coffee drinker. I switch to Decaf after I work out. I have been successful at loosing weight.

As pretty much already stated- caffine is a diuretic and increases appetite. That being said' date=' I am a huge coffee drinker. I switch to Decaf after I work out. I have been successful at loosing weight.[/quote']

Interesting. Coffee suppresses my appetite. It also makes me **** like crazy. If I am ever backed up, a cup of coffee takes care of that!! Lol.

I agree that I would research and ask your doctor some pointed questions. I also do not encourage breaking your doctors orders. After reading here many doctors forbid coffee I asked "So I guess I can only have Decaf from now on?" To which he replied "Why?" My nutritionist said there is some evidence it is a diuretic and can stimulate hunger; but she did'nt see it as a huge issue. I have one cup of regular in the morning and switch to decaf. My coffee consumption is higher at work when I am bored. At least I am drinking calorie free coffee (I take it black with splendra) rather than eating the Cookies that get put out.

this is interesting... so it can stimulate hunger, eh?? well, in that case im cutting my intake of caffeine back through the day. i have decaf and dont mind that. i dont have milk or sugar so its easy as far as calories go.

incidently.. i havent been counting calories so far. is it necessary when still on liquids? i have Protein Drink of a morning after a coffee, then Soup at lunch, Protein drink of an afternoon, more coffee, then soup of a night with another protein drink later at night. i have other diabetic cordials inbetween. what do you all think?? should i be counting even now.? ive lost about 17 pounds since the 22 of march. the weight loss has slowed up just a tad. i dont want to lose too quickly. All input greatly appreciated. thanks.

And the debate goes on....
:lol:
Look, in all seriousness... When it comes to life, DON'T BE SHEEP!!! If one person says caffeine stimulates hunger don't say "OMG I have to cut back caffeine!" As previously stated I would not recommend ignoring your doctor's orders - but challenge them! You hired them for God's sake!

Remember, new and more in depth research is done all the time! For everyone insisting that caffeine is without question a diuretic - perhaps you should read this study....
Progress comes through challenge peeps...

There are also conclusive studies that some people are more sensitive to caffeine... as is also the case with different GI value carbs and on and on and on... There is no "one size fits all"

Just don't be sheep...

Baaaaaa. ;)

;)