Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new and am a bit anxious

Hello Folks

I'm reading the "Lap-Band for Life" book, came across this website so thought I'd visit. I'm very strongly considering this surgery. I've been to three sessions addressing lap-band/bypass surgery in the last couple of weeks and have a dr. appt. with the lap-band dr. in mid-March for the first time. I'm really concerned, though, that maybe I'll really fail (again) at this attempt to lose weight & keep it off. I'm enthusiastic about the surgery & the way it helps you control your eating but I'm really worried that I won't follow through & be a good patient eating the right things, excercising, etc. Have any of you had these concerns? What if I lose enthusiasm for eating correctly and revert back to stess eating with the lap-band, etc.

Sorry this is so long. Have some of you long-timers had this type of anxiety?

BBCooks

I was recently banded and have a sibling who has been banded for over a year. I do not think overdoing it too much is a constant concern because I think you could overly hurt yourself! I know it's possible to eat junk, but I would be afraid to just go full out and eat everything (like I would normally). Just my .02 cents!

Kelli

Thanks, Kelli, for your kind response. I'm really counting on the severity of the measure (lap-banding) to help keep me in control & enthused.

BB -

Most people, when they reach the right restriction, find that the constant "I'm hungry I'm hungry I'm hungry I'm hungry I'm hungry I'm hungry I'm hungry" chatter gets stopped in its tracks, and suddenly eating nutritiously most of the time isn't the chore (meaning isn't as hard) it used to be when "dieting".

A few people don't get this affect, but most of us do.

Once the physical hunger chatter is turned down, though, you REALLY get to see what's going on in your head... :confused:

I know you have heard this befor but the band is a toll.Saying that you soon find that you can't over eat so when you do I found that I long for tasty things.Which are no longer fresh bread, hot chips and the such as they are really pretty bland.Iam surprised how much my palate has changed.When I do have something that isn't good ie chocolate bickies I can't have too many ha ha ha one .one that is not one packet like I use to.Believe it or not I feel satisfied as well.So yes the band is great and yes you will eat not always perfectly but you will eat loads less.When you are losing it also inspires you to eat better.Good luck with your decsion.

Hi, I'm new also. I have had my first Dr. appt. this week. Now I'm getting anxious and want to eat anything and everything in sight. I worry that the band will not be enough for me also. I can't even seem to reduce what I eat enough to lose weight before the surgery. Is this just nerves? Will things be better after the surgery? I am trying not to drink with meals because I know how important this is, but I have always drank a lot with meals. This is a very hard thing to break. How do you deal with the "head hunger"?

BBCooks:

I am a Physician Assistant and did much research before I took this "big" step. I found the consequences of morbid obesity were much worse than the less than 1% complication risk of lap band surgery. I TRULY understand the concern of failure...the battlefield truly is the mind in this! I am 6 days post op and have already lost 17lbs. I do realize that the weight loss will slow down but will happily take whatever I can get for the jump start and this is great motivation. I have also set goals up that I can meet too feel like I am not failing or "messing up" again! It's truly all about choices....make the choice that you are VERY important and you want to choose a good quality of life! :)

God Bless you!!! Melody

Hi All

Thank you so much for your support and information, and thanks to the person who responded with the book's title & author info. I haven't been on the boards for a few weeks so I apologize for the late response.

I met with the surgeon a few weeks ago & am scheduled for office visits to the pulmonologist, dietician & psychologist next week so I'm moving full-steam ahead on this project!

In my mind I think I'm already starting to transition to what like with the band will be like because I'm looking at full plates & wondering what it will be like to have only 1/3 of a plate to eat & be satisfied. I'm also really hoping that I still will be able to eat spicy foods after giving myself time to heal.

Thanks again for responding!

BBCooks

I am two months post band and I couldn't be happier!!! Before the surgery, I ate everything I could find and would even eat when I wasn't hungry. I seemed to crave and graze like crazy. That has all changed!!! Before I was a pizza, taco, soft drink freak! I haven't had any of them since Jan. 16th. And to beat it all......I don't crave them at all anymore!! I don't know if its because I told myself before the surgery that things were definitely going to change or its because I stay full now. I am eating my Protein first and then filling in with vegetables (which I rarely ate before). I eat a small portion and I'm done. I just don't crave anything. In fact, things have gone so well, that my doctor said I didn't need a fill at my first six week post-op visit. I'm hoping the same happens this next visit as well. My doctor/hospital offered a 6 week rehab program as part of the bariatric program. I went twice a week and worked out there and also had access to the nutritionist who worked with me to help under the importance of nutrients and how they affect my body. Just take the time and make the effort. I am like a little kid these days. I'm 30 lbs. down and I can't tell you how wonderful that feels. Let the good thoughts of things to come override the anxiousness. That's what I did and it has really worked for me. Good luck to you and know there are lots of folks on here for support!!! :clap2: Take care!