Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia... Anyone Have Theirs Surgically Repaired?

Has anyone been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after banding. Did you have it surgically repaired? Did that help with restriction and reflux? Did you opt for a different treatment?

I was recently diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and severe esophagitis. My surgeon's options were unfilling my band completely, surgically fixing the hernia, or removing my band completely and surgically fixing the hernia.

At first I was going to remove my band... but after some soul searching I decided to give it another shot. I made some changes to my diet and have had some relief from the reflux... and have had success with losing weight again.

I have an appointment with my surgeon in a few weeks to discuss hernia repair surgery. I am not sure what to do. Right now I feel ok... but I wonder if repairing it will give me complete relief of my symptoms and help with more consistent restriction.

I had a hiatial hernia repaired when they placed my band, so it's a bit different timing than yours. I was suffering from almost constant reflux. I can happily say that after the repair it cured my reflux problem 100%. If it were me, I would repair the hernia and keep the band.

I had hernia repair during surgery as well. It has completely eliminated the reflux too. I would definitely recommend the hernia repair and keep the band.

I havent been banded yet but had an upper Gi and i have a hernia also which will be repaired when i have surgery

My hiatal hernia was found before surgery and was repaired when my band was put in. My acid reflux was to the point that it would come up during the night while I slept and cut off my air way, so I would wake up gasping for breath. I'm thrilled to say that I haven't had any reflux since it was repaired :)

My suggestion would be to keep your band and just repair the hernia.

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to avoid surgery but I dont want continued problems with my band and reflux. If it can cure my reflux... that would be wonderful.

I had one after being banded for 16 months. My surgeon fixed the hernia and revised my band. Things were always getting stuck and I would throw up alot. He did an upper GI, a week later it was all over.

I had one after being banded for 16 months. My surgeon fixed the hernia and revised my band. Things were always getting stuck and I would throw up alot. He did an upper GI' date=' a week later it was all over.[/quote']

That is encouraging. Thank you! Glad the fix helped you. When you say "revised your band" what do you mean?

Thanks.

I had mine repaired during band placement .. I had no clue it was there yet the doc said it was the biggest he had ever seen. He also had to reinforce the bottom portion of my esophagus with mesh .. I guess it had been eroding away from the acid that I didn't know was an issue. Go figure.

My surgeon replaced it. He had to remove it to fix the hernia. Now I have to get my butt in gear because I have not been following directions.

I have read that some hiatal hernias push against the pouch and can cause other problems.

Mine was fixed with my band placement. Bye bye reflux and pain from my bra pushing on that area.

I was hoping to avoid another surgery... Guess I will see what my surgeon thinks. Had bad heartburn the last 2 nights again. Guess my diet change isn't helping as much as i had hoped.

Mine was found during surgery and I had no symptoms go figure. He said he finds about 20% of his patients have one found in surgery. He also said that was his decision to use the realize band as wider and they found less chance of risk of slipping with hernia patients. I hadn't read that.

I am not sure if mine was there during my original surgery. My surgeon said he would repair one if he found one, but there was no mention either way in my surgical notes. My first fill was under fluoroscopy and that doctor said I was refluxing the contrast. I didn't feel it, nor did I have any symptoms at the time.

I had a EGD a few months after my banding back in 2008 and a hiatal hernia was observed at that time, but I wasn't advised. I found that out recently, last month, when I brought my test results with me to a new gastroenterologist who performed my second EGD.

Confusing, I know. I had follow-up with several different doctors before finding my current one. Probably why this went undiagnosed for so long.

Anyway, I am having symptoms now. Have been for awhile. But initially, no symptoms. I think that is fairly common NOT to have symptoms. I don't know if that means my hernia is worse?

I just want relief. After talking to one of Dr M's staff yesterday, I already feel tons better. I am looking forward to my surgery consult on Thursday. Right now, I am leaning toward fixing the hernia and keeping the band. I may have to wait until July for the surgery, for financial reasons. My FSA funds reset then.