Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

was it worth it?

I notice that many people don't reach goal but have lost significant weight? Are all of the changes and the fears and the money worth it? Would you do it again knowing what you know now?

I am deciding on WLS. I know my weight gain has made me feel old. I can't do activities that I love to do. I love to ride horses but my weight is too heavy for my horse babies and it makes me unbalanced. I love to run but my weight makes it so hard on my joints. My feet hurt daily. My back hurts all of the time. While I would like to get down to goal-I would be thrilled with 50% of excess Weight loss. I would be so much more able to be active.

What do you all think?

:paranoid

I've only lost about 23-24 pounds and it has been well worth it so far. I was banded in Dec.'05. I have a long ways to go, but any weight loss that allows me a longer healthier life, is well worth the change!

I notice that many people don't reach goal but have lost significant weight? Are all of the changes and the fears and the money worth it? Would you do it again knowing what you know now?

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES.

My "goal" was to lose weight, and by that measure I have reached goal. I don't care what the charts say or what my BMI is. All I care about is that I have more stamina, energy, grace, and a totally brightened future because I weigh 120 lbs less than I did three years ago. Someone else with a BMI of 30+ might feel that WLS was a big waste of time, but when someone who started at 48 gets down that far it is anything BUT a waste.

Holy cow, would I do it again? YES, YES, A THOUSAND TIMES YES. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

It was totally worth it!!!:bounce:

I wish I had done it sooner. If I don't lose another pound, I will still feel like it was worth it. Before surgery, I lived with excruciating back pain everyday. I woke up with it and went to sleep with it. I had sleep apnea. I did not go hardly anywhere other than work. I could not do anything with my daughter.

Last weekend, I went to the school skating party with my daughter and put on my rollerblades for the first time in 8 years! I had sooo much fun!!!

:banana

I am preop. I don't know about goal, I don't think I ever got to goal as how it is numbered by the doctor or weight watchers.

If I lost 50% of my weight and stayed there for the rest of my life, I WOULD consider it worth it.

What I am doing now, are your exact age, Murphles, is stay the same and each year gain a little more and that stays. As I enter menopause, I fear even more that weight will be easier and easier to hang on to.

I am going for it.

Here is a little more info-My BMI is less than 35.

Dr. Pleatman has said on this site that he does not believe that anyone should be lapbanded under 35.

I have spoken to several low bmi'ers and they have had good results. I am tall so I still have a lot of weight to lose.

Now having said that, I am 42 and I just see the next ten years as a struggle of increasing weight and less hope. I want to get this under control now. My kids only remember me dieting-what a memory! My daughter wants me to be able to ride with her-but I can't. I would hurt the horses. God that sounds awful.

I am pretty scared about having surgery-I have never had a broken bone or a stitch. I am really nervous about the complications. GERD sucks. Erosion is scary. But I am massively depressed about having to live the rest of my life as fat. I hate shopping. Sex is uncomfortable. Travel is sweaty and exhausting. You know-it isn't so much about being vain-though I like to dress up and look nice-my life is about so much more. It is about the life activities that are tiring and sweaty and hard as a fat person.

just to balance the discussion, i havent lost anything yet after four months and wonder if i did the right thing. but then again it has only been four months and maybe i just don't have the right fill yet. i don't think i will ever be really thin, but i defintely would think i made the right decision if i could at least be more active and confident. i think i am the exception here, though, as far as not losing, so keep that in mind.

I would mos def do it over. Even if I never lose another pound the 68 pounds I've lost so far were so worth it. I have a lot more to go, but to me the fact that people know I had weight loss surgery is the biggest thing that pushes me to get back on the wagon when I fall off. If it was just another diet I would have already gained all of this back and then some. Good luck with your research!!

just to balance the discussion, i havent lost anything yet after four months and wonder if i did the right thing. but then again it has only been four months and maybe i just don't have the right fill yet. i don't think i will ever be really thin, but i defintely would think i made the right decision if i could at least be more active and confident. i think i am the exception here, though, as far as not losing, so keep that in mind.

You are not exceptional here! I have not lost weight and feel even more pressure to do so because it cost $16,000 dollars ($1,000 more than I make in a year) I wouldn't do it again

I would do it again in an instant! Although sometimes the band has its drawbacks and its hard to get your head to want less food, its the only thing that has helped me EVER get out of being morbidly obese! I feel better look better and would recommend it to anyone.

I would do it again in an instant! Although sometimes the band has its drawbacks and its hard to get your head to want less food,its the only thing that has helped me EVER get out of being morbidly obese! I feel better look better and would recommend it to anyone.

I'm not being snarly or sarcastic-but i don't feel full after eating, and I've never vomitted. why is this whole experience not working for me??:w00t:

I'm not being snarly or sarcastic-but i don't feel full after eating, and I've never vomitted. why is this whole experience not working for me??:tongue2:

The band isnt designed to make you vomit lol so you sure aint missing out on that!

Maybe you arent at decent restriction yet,it took me a few fills to get the full feeling.

If you check up some of my early days posts,you will read that I was thinking the band was not going to work for me,and I felt like a failure;but a few fills later,I was on track,feeling full and losing weight!

I will never say the band has been easy..it takes a lot of getting used to.Some days I would give anything to eat a fresh crusty chunk of bread and butter!:thumbup:

I have tried every diet possible,with weight loss and then weight gain at the end of it. I really think the band is the best thing I ever spent my money on and will never regret it.

Good luck to everyone on there journey. Its a bumpy ride at times,but well worth sticking to it!:w00t:

The band isnt designed to make you vomit lol so you sure aint missing out on that!

Maybe you arent at decent restriction yet,it took me a few fills to get the full feeling.

If you check up some of my early days posts,you will read that I was thinking the band was not going to work for me,and I felt like a failure;but a few fills later,I was on track,feeling full and losing weight!

I will never say the band has been easy..it takes a lot of getting used to.Some days I would give anything to eat a fresh crusty chunk of bread and butter!:woot:

I have tried every diet possible,with weight loss and then weight gain at the end of it. I really think the band is the best thing I ever spent my money on and will never regret it.

Good luck to everyone on there journey. Its a bumpy ride at times,but well worth sticking to it!:thumbup:

thanks for sharing with me. You've made me feel better!