Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Lose 9 Pounds Before Next Friday?

I had my final (and only in-person) consult with my surgeon yesterday. Only then did he mention that there is an upper BMI cut-off for my surgical clinic, and I am currently 9 pounds above it. I am supper pissed off, as I've had MONTHS to try and lose weight (and I would have) if someone had mentioned it to me.

I have been on the pre-op diet of 3 Protein shakes/day and only non-starch veggies (225 calories worth only) since March 31st, and I have lost 9 pounds so far.

If I don't lose another 9 pounds before next Friday, my surgery will have to be rescheduled. I am very unimpressed that I am just hearing this now. I am a self-pay, and I am travelling. I am also self-employed, so to get the time off I need, has been a great deal of arranging.

I guess I won't even be drinking the Protein shakes now, and I'll just be having steamed veggies for the next 9 days. Anyone have tips on how to cut weight?

I won't even know if I am a go or not, until my husband and I have travelled to the surgery clinic, and they weigh me the morning of.

Currently, my surgeon has listed me as slightly taller than I am (by 1 inch) so I am at the cut off right now, but if they measure me the morning of, I might get turned away. Has anyone been measured for height the day of surgery, or did they just take your word for it?

Thanks.

I'm contemplating calling my surgical co-ordinator, and letting her know my displeasure about not hearing about this until 10 days before surgery.

My height wasn't measured....just weight the morning of. You need to shed some Water weight in the next week. I would stay with the Protein Shakes and cut all sodium if you can. Drink plenty of water. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

I have never heard of this. I would call and register a complaint.

Have you tried exercise??

Wendy

I would drink the shakes only and forego the veggies. Make sure the shakes you're drinking are high Protein and low carb/fat (>5g). The veggies won't help your hunger that much because of lack of Protein.< /p>

I would also be calling to discuss this with the person who helped you along the way. I would be fuming!

And 100oz + Water daily.

Thanks guys.

I am on hold with my co-ordinator at the moment. She claims that it was the doctor's responsibility to tell me that. I'm not sure when he would have been expected to tell me that.

She just told me that she thinks it is possible to lose weight. Thanks genus.

I am enraged for you. What does she know is she in your body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck let us know what happens

Wendy

She is going to have the dietician call me ASAP. Hopefully she has something helpful to say, not just 'keep drinking the shakes, and see what happens'.

Yep, I would be as PISSED! I wouldn't yell at anyone because these are the people you have to deal with through a very difficult time, but i would def tell them

Apparently the dietician (she is busy with another patient, so she can't call me) says to cut out all veggies, and have 2 shakes a day.

And I'm due to get my period, and all the bloating that comes with it, in a week as well.

:|

i would be sure not to eat or drink anything the morning of the actual weigh in and wear your lightest clothes/no shoes or jewelery etc - go to the bathroom right beforehand. I would do all liquid between now and weigh in. I might even do a laxative the night before but have never tried it so don't go on my word - i just hear people use it to lose weight quick. I would not do a bunch of exercise if you haven't been up until now as i hear when people first start exercising their muscles retain Water or something - possibly nonsense but i wouldn't risk it if it were me - the surgery's too important.

Unsweet tea can help as a diuretic to shed some of the Water weight. I would do the Protein Shakes and skip the veggies and drink as much water as you can. Also, make sure that you use the bathroom before you are weighed to get as much of the water out as possible.

The weigh in will be the same day as surgery, so I won't be drinking or eating anything that day :)

I think I'm going to try and push through with only water/crystal light, and have a shake only if I really can't stand it anymore.

Denying you because your BMI is too high? What the heck do they think you are getting the surgery for? To lose that weight with a little help!

The weigh in will be the same day as surgery, so I won't be drinking or eating anything that day :)

I think I'm going to try and push through with only water/crystal light, and have a shake only if I really can't stand it anymore.

I would not do that. If you don't get ANY nourishment your body might even revolt and lose nothing. Drinking the shakes, you will lose weight. If you have til next Friday, you should lose 9 lb. I was on a liquid diet for one week pre op and the last 2 days were Clear liquids only and in those 7 days I lost 9.8 lb. You have more than a week and to be honest, I weighed less than you so in essence you may be able to lose more than me.

Honestly though I don't see why they won't band you at your current weight.