Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Visit With My Pcp...ugh!

I had my first visit with my PCP today since making the decision to have lap band surgery. It was for a routine physical which I really didn't think I needed considering all the extensive testing I've had in the last couple months, but I figured it would be good for me to see her to discuss my surgery and such. Well it turns out the comorbidities are multiplying, I'm now borderline diabetic and the home sleep apnea test suggests sleep apnea, so I will have to do an overnight study. My liver enzymes are slightly elevated due to obesity and fatty liver and I'm deficient in a bunch of minerals. On the bright side my urine test was negative, whoo hoo! My question is, she asked me during my visit if I wanted to take medication for weight loss (metformin) and I told her no, because I'm trying to get away from medications ( I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol). She also informed me that I may or may not get rid of this medication once I lose the weight and of course she said she wasn't trying to "talk me out of" my surgery. Needless to say, this appointment has me all worked up! When I left there, I headed straight for the gym! So I wanted to find out what the experiences have been here. Were you able to stop taking your medications? Have you ever taken metformin for weight loss?

I take metformin (for diabetes), never lost weight with it. But thats just me!

OK. So this story sounds very familiar...

Although my PCP makes me feel very much my partner.

When I started this process two years ago, I was put on high blood pressure med, metformin (for the diabetes NOT weightloss) and did the apnea thing.

Two years later (one year post surgery), I am off high blood pressure med and on a 3-month trial of no metformin (my A1C came back really good and I was on the lowest possible dose!). And the apnea thing was mild but, frankly, I love my CPAP. I get the best sleep with it. So I would tell you not to fear that. I have a mask that is just nasal pillows so I don't look like such a freak.

My medical team is very clear that metformin is not a weightloss drug. I do know that some MDs give it as such. What metformin did for me was correct something that made my appetite less. Getting the blood sugar under control has been key and a goal for me. (Type II is a family condition so I am fighting it all the way!) After the 2 weeks of gastro discomfort it made me actually feel better. And I never bottomed out with it. With the band, you can't take the extended release. (And I really think all this helped with the insurance approval.)

The one drug that I was given for weightloss was Byetta (made from gila monster venom) which was great (totally killed my appetite) but I had an allergic reaction. I agreed to take it a month before surgery to help get my pre-op weight down. And I did but it has a LOT of side effects so I was glad to stop it.

Honestly, I'm just like you. Part of my personal goal was getting off meds! I am now down to Vitamins and supplements.

Good luck. It's a personal decision that you and your doctor should be in agreement on.

I've never heard of metformin being used for weight loss. hmmm

My 17 year old daughter has PCOS and her doctor just put her on a high dose 2000mg a day to help with getting her weight off. She broke her foot about a year ago and had to quit teaching dance because it hurt so much. She gained 60 pounds this year. He told her that it was at the top of his priorty list to get the weight off her however possible before she become diabetic or ruins her chances of having children and he hoped the metformin would help.

She has only been on it about 3 weeks, but hasn't lost but about 3 pounds. I hate watching her go through the same thing I deal with...but at such a younger age. I was able to keep the weight issue at bay until about 8 years ago.

I know from reading her blog that Lapband Gal was able to go off her blood pressure meds originally but had to start them again. Some things are just genetic, but you don't know til you get there.

I have type I diabetes, totally different from type 2. However, I was given metformin to help with weight loss and it has done nothing other than keep me from gaining. It does help a bit with my insulin resistance, but I have yet to lose a pound and I take 2000 mg per day. That being said, I am obviously insulin dependent, and that Makes you gain weight. It's worth a shot, but keep in mind it has been used off label as a fertility drug, so make sure you consistently use a reliable form of birth control.

When I was put on Metformin for DM, I was told that it has been shown to help people loose weight. It never helped me with that. I too hate taking medication, but understand it's importance. I can't tolerate any of the meds to help lower my cholesterol, so I am hoping that mine will come down with the food choice changes that come with having a LB. I am on BP medication as well, and just before my sx, it was increased by my PCP. My surgeon wanted nothing to do with the management of these medications so as long as you keep the lines of communication open with your PCP, you should be able to come up with a plan that works for both of you. If your lab work shows some insulin resistance or you have had trouble with PCOS, then metformin would be a good choice. I've not heard of it being given just for WL.

An update, I've decided to go ahead and try the metformin, my doctor is prescribing it to me because according to my A1C I am borderline diabetic and she says it can assist with weight loss. We'll see how it goes from now until my surgery date 8/1. :D

It's always a good idea to get with your PCP and have this discussion. In the Fall of 2010, I went into my PCP for my annual exam, etc. and my fasting blood sugar was 176. On top of that, I was already on 20mg of blood pressure medicine and 40mg of cholesterol medication. That was the straw that broke the camels back. There was no way I was going to go on another pill because I was fat and unhealthy. I'd thought about lap band before but made up my mind that day to proceed. I made an appt with the bariatric clinic and got the ball rolling. My bmi was just under 40 but with my co-morbidities, I got aproved for surgery. On 1/11/11, I was banded. This was the best decision I ever made. I was a very slow loser before the band and I haven't set any speed records since but I'm literally a new person. My original weight at my very first bariatric appointment was 232. This morning, I weighed 175 on my scale at home. It's with a pound or two of my doc's scale. My last fasting blood sugar test was 97 and my A1c is in the normal range. My blood pressure medicine is now down to 5mg which my doctor is only keeping me on as a precaution. The bariatric nurse said it's a good idea. I tried going off my cholesterol medicine but my numbers went back up. I'm one of those genetic freaks that's just going to have high chol/trigs no matter what. HOWEVER, my numbers with medicine are lower than they ever were before my band. Pre-band, my chol never got under 220 even with medicine and now it's like 180. My Trigs are normal and my good/bad chol ratio is much improved. I'm fortunate that my insurance paid for surgery and I know thats not the case with everyone but it has made such a difference in my health and my future. My original weight goal was 145 but I think I'd be happy at 160. I'm losing 3-4 lbs a month and my bariatric doctor and pcp are thrilled with my results. I know that I added years onto my life by getting my blood sugar under control. Good luck to you moving forward!

I have never heard of Metformin for weight loss. I am on it and have been for years for type 2 Diabetes. I need Lap Band surgery lol So the Metformin didn't help me lose weight. Makes your bowels work good though hahaha... Whats the harm, take it, it will help your blood sugar. Once you loose your weight you probably won't need it at all! :D

I had fairly high cholesterol and high blood pressure before my surgery and was on medications for both of those. In just about three or four months after surgery, my numbers had improved so much that I was able to get off of those completely and my numbers have remained good ever since.

I still do have sleep apnea unfortunately but the severity of it has decreased. When I was first tested, I averaged 70 episodes per hour, during my last test it was down to about 15-17 which I was excited about. Hoping that will improve even further on down the road for me.

I have PCOS and I have been and done just about every treatment to lose weight and reverse PCOS. The only think I can tell you is that metformin made me miserable! I've never spent so much time in a bathroom in my life. On top of that I was also developing ketoacidosis and was in so much pain I couldn't touch my right side under my ribs or lay on that side to sleep. If you can avoid Metformin I say do it.