Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Successful After A Bad Start?

Hi all, i was banded on Feb 4th and initially lost 15lbs, then another 6lbs after my first fill. I managed to gain the six back as i can eat what i like. I know a lot of people disagree that the pill makes you gain weight, i suppose because this is true, but it makes me extremely hungry and crave food and chocolate. I gave in and have been out of control for over a week :( I've come off it now and resorted to non hormonal contraceptive and i plan to start from fresh right now!

I have a ten cc band and had 4cc put in during surgery and 1cc in on my last fill.

My next fill is 20th April, is there still hope for me? I feel such a failure.

Has anyone else had a rocky start but gone on to be successful?

Pixie Power....don't feel that way. It will just make things worse for yourself. Tomorrow is a brand new day!! You just need to get your head in the game! Think about what things are making you stumble? Do you have those foods in the house? Is it a certain time of day or month that is making it hard on you? Are there certain people who sabatage you?

There are two times that I have learned that will derail me in a heart beat. 1. If i go too long and get VERY hungry, then I will automatically start eating the most convenient foods that I can get my hands on. Im like this almost every Monday....I leave the house early and won't be home until late....when I walk in the door I could be fit tot be tied...So now I will make me a snack and have it ready in the frig ...so when I walk in the door I have a healthy snack ready to eat while I make dinner.

2. That horrible one week a month!! I can undo 2-3 weeks worth of work in that one week!! Most of the time the chips or carbs that are in the pantry won't bother me...but when that week comes!! look out....So now about a week ahead of time I throw it all away!! or I just won't buy anything that week that I will want.

So the answer to your question, Yes you can still be a success. But you have got to figure out what your triggers are and figure out a way to avoid them. You can do this!!! Change your mindset to "failure is NOT an option" if you have a bad....you had a bad day....move on and refocus.

You can do this! Learn why you are eating the wrong foods and concentrate on making informed choices. You have opted for a lifestyle change, now is your time to embrace it and move forward. Remember, it probably took you a few years or more to become morbidly obese and it will take time to change those habits and lose the weight.

Good luck.

Also remember you are probably not at restriction yet either. Keep trucking along and making good decisions and I'm sure you can be successful.

I lost weight the first 4 weeks after surgery. Then went for my first fill, 4 cc's.

After my first fill, I gained weight, could not control my eating. The band did nothing and I was never any good at dieting.

Four weeks after that, 8 weeks from surgery, went for my 2nd fill, 2 cc's for a total of 6.

At that point the band started to take effect, but not much. It would come and go. I did not gain weight, but I did not loose all that much either.

Four weeks after that 12 weeks after surgery, had my 3rd fill for an additional 1cc, total of 7.

That did the trick. My eating was then totally under control. Could not over eat even if I tried, would result in getting stuck, pain, regurgitating.

But even then, it took me 4 to 6 weeks to figure out what was happening, learned to adapt my eating habits and foods, and found my "Groove" putting me in the Green Zone, with everything they say it does.

Have been there ever since.

So, to answer your question, yes....I had a tough start. I stink at self control and dieting. Have tried every diet under the sun, including hypnosis and acupuncture. You name it I tried it. Failed at everyone miserably.

So it was no surprise that I did no better after surgery untill my band was properly adjusted and took control of me.

That's why I take exception to calling the band a tool. A tool, like a hammer, is something I choose to use, and can choose how much or how little I use it.

But the band has control of me. If anything I am the one being used. I'm the tool and the band is in control.

That makes this the EASIEST thing I have ever done, because there is nothing I need to do. I can't over eat, and I have little or no hunger 24/7. There are times I have to force myself to sit and have a meal, not because I'm hungry, but because I know I need to.

I don't count calories. All I need to do is drink my Water, and when I do eat, chose good foods high in Protein. That's it!

Wow thanks so much for all the wonderful replies! I really must come on here more often it really is a haven of support!

I feel much more motivated than i have in the past month thank you all so much!

Waitingpatiently you make excellent points. In the past twelve months i have had a baby, been on the pill, come off the pill, had a band and gone back on the pill. I think i need to give my body a break so i gave come off the pill and will report to non hormonal contraceptive for at least six months.

I also allow myself to get too hungry then good choices go out the window. I must admit i also haven't exercised at all in the past month and have had a few nights out- weddings etc where alcohol was involved.

Well it's really no big shock that Im not down much, it's actually quite a wonder Im not UP weight!

SageTracy- you're so right, in the beginning of this journey i gave myself two years to lose the weight so that i wouldn't get down at slow losses and give up. If you've read above you'll see that i haven't really done much to help myself in the past month so Im considering today a fresh such. Thank you!

Stephy this is also true, Im definitely not at restriction but need a kick of willpower to make good choices and i think all you're replies were just the kick i needed!

B-52 that's very inspirational and exactly what i needed to hear, even though my band is only half full i think i was thinking, wow this is IT?! I forget that i still have 5cc to go and from what i read sometimes even .5cc can make all the difference.

Well today is a new day- Im in Ireland so it's the morning and Im feeling great. Thanks so so much everyone!x

Yes! I was successful after a bad start! I didn't lose a single pound for about 6 months following surgery. It turns out my dumbassed Physician's Assistant wasn't actually injecting the saline into my band, so I wasn't getting restriction. For those 6 months I felt like the biggest failure, like I made the biggest mistake in the world! I then demanded to see my surgeon (I received my fills directly from him afterwards) and then started to see results slowly. It took me a total of 2 years to lose the weight after surgery, but I made it to my goal weight eventually! Hang in there and be patient! If you get frustrated, be honest and talk to your doctor about it.

Hi there.

Is anyone in the south Dublin area?

Had band 5 weeks ago lost 5 kg then no more. Had first fill but think I need more. Also back to those bad eating habits. One boy back in school next week and will only have the one so can hopefully exercise. Gosh so much to lose.

Good luck everyone

Hiya Im in north Dublin if that's any use to you!

I have my dietition appointment on Monday and Im really looking forward to sitting down with her and having a good chat, I really need to get back in action!

Was hoping for someone south Dublin to walk with, compare stories with etc.

I've been so bad with my eating. I have a psychological obsession with food and God it's hard to think different about it.

Hopefully tomorrow is a nice day to walk with the kids somewhere!