Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Is Not Reversible. Why The Sleeve May Be A Better Choice.

No offense....and I'm happy that you have found a WLS that is right for you' date=' but then why are you "lurking" around a lap band support site.....don't you have one of your own? Those than come to this site seeking information about the LAPBAND not other surgeries.....and honestly, since you don't have one, I don't see where you can offer any advise. Those that have the lap band and have had issues, do a good job explaining the draw backs and are very honest as to why it didn't work for them, but it just seems strange to me that some feel the need to come to this site and express an opinion about something you don't have.....if they want information about another surgery I'm sure they can get that on another site where the members would be more educated in the sleeve or bypass than the ones on this site. It really makes me question your motives. It is everyones responsiblity to educated themselves. I'm sure I can find some that feel they rushed into having half their stomachs removed and have numerous issues.....BUT I know they are probably just the unfortunates that are listed in the satistics just like the satistics for the band. I LOVE my band...but I would never feel the need to bash the sleeve or bypass...(even though my 42 year old cousin died shortly after getting the sleeve....just saying) We each must make our own decisions.[/quote']

I thought I made my intentions clear in my first post, but I will say it again. I am posting here for the person that was me a few months ago rushing into surgery. I saw a post about the sleeve vs band on this forum and that is what made me look up information in the sleeve and what ultimately helped me make a better decision for myself. I'm not 'bashing' the band, and I'm sorry that you feel that way. And the last time I checked, not every poster on this forum has a lap band, some are in the stage where they are trying to find what surgery works for them.

Where I can offer advice is to share the information I have gathered, which I am really grateful that someone else did last month.

Anecdotal evidence? I'm not speaking from anecdotal evidence. If you can cite reading personal stories on forums as "facts", surely I can simply give experiences of people I know in real life rather than strangers online.

I'm not entirely sure why you're posting here, to be honest. If you decided the band wasn't for you, wonderful, best wishes on your journey with the sleeve. But trying to convince people against the band, with a bunch of misinformation at that, is quite uncool. Just say'n.

Anecdotal evidence? I'm not speaking from anecdotal evidence. If you can cite reading personal stories on forums as "facts"' date=' surely I can simply give experiences of people I know in real life rather than strangers online.

I'm not entirely sure why you're posting here, to be honest. If you decided the band wasn't for you, wonderful, best wishes on your journey with the sleeve. But trying to convince people against the band, with a bunch of misinformation at that, is quite uncool. Just say'n.[/quote']

I would love for you to point out anything that I wrote as being a fact, because I didn't. What i have said is "according to my research." I would also love for you to show me where I am trying to "convince" people against the band. I am just sharing the information I've gathered, the same way I got a lot of information from a previous post I read on here. I don't know why people are taking this personally, this is not an attack.

Anecdotal evidence? I'm not speaking from anecdotal evidence. If you can cite reading personal stories on forums as "facts"' date=' surely I can simply give experiences of people I know in real life rather than strangers online.

I'm not entirely sure why you're posting here, to be honest. If you decided the band wasn't for you, wonderful, best wishes on your journey with the sleeve. But trying to convince people against the band, with a bunch of misinformation at that, is quite uncool. Just say'n.[/quote']

And "giving experiences of people you know in real life" is the meaning of anecdotal evidence.

You're posting here against the band. You have never been banded, and so far all you've done is post completely incorrect information and not a single shred of actual facts from your so-called "research".

Let me give you a small piece of advice, getting your "facts" from a previous post on an online forum is a recipe for disaster. Try getting your facts from actual factual sources.

You're posting here against the band. You have never been banded' date=' and so far all you've done is post completely incorrect information and not a single shred of actual facts from your so-called "research".

Let me give you a small piece of advice, getting your "facts" from a previous post on an online forum is a recipe for disaster. Try getting your facts from actual factual sources.[/quote']

....which I have. If you read my previous posts, you would have read that I personally know three people who failed with the band. If I went with that evidence alone, I wouldn't have even considered the band, but I did because I know some people do extremely well. Like this girl named "whinsong" on YouTube, I have been following all of her videos extensively and she is the reason I decided I wanted the lapband in the first place, until I started comparing and contrasting what was right for me. But I won't be responding to you anymore, because I feel like you're taking this personally and I don't mean it personally at all.

Thats what i dont get either, and the reason for my sarcasm. Does one person really think shes stumbled on information none of the rest of us could find? Its being taken as an attack because it takes a bit of an ego to simply come out and state your opinion to what is likely to be a hostile audience assuming others wont already have considered your genius arguments and could therefore benefit from your benevolent wisdom.

Youve researched, youve considered, youve made a different choice, one thats right for you. Great! So go do it and discuss itnwith others who have made similar choices.

Ive been banded almost seven years. No problems. I am perfectly aware of the fact that my band will not last forever. No doubt it will fail at some point. As of right now I would replace it without hesitations. But I do live in a country where revision surgery will incur me no out of pocket expense. Thats a big factor.

My view is Ive had several very major surgeries and several small electives. I walked three miles the nxt morning after my lapband surgery, it was a breeze to get over. Im not afraid of a revision. But Ive had a dream run, i got restriction easily, i dont vomit, i overcame my eating demons easily, i lik bein in control if how "normally" i can live by choosing my own restriction. And i really like the do-over factor.

Threfore, i hang around a lapand forum. If i felt the sleeve was better, i might hang around the sleeve forum. And it has never once occurred to me to go over there and start a thread about why i didnt choose the sleeve!

Then don't respond, however for someone who claims to not put merit into anecdotal evidence, you sure do cite a lot of anecdotal evidence as your "facts". Newsflash, YouTube is anecdotal evidence as is citing the experience of someone you know.

You keep talking about this research you've done, yet I've not seen a single actual source. Can you please post the case studies, done by actual medical researchers and listed with AMA and FDA, you've used as research data?

Also, I would love to know if you have been banded for over 8 years without any problems or additional surgeries, because that is evidence that I cannot find anywhere, and if so, I have tons of questions,

Have you had the sleeve for over 8 years without any problems or additional surgeries....oh wait.....the sleeve is a realitively new surgery that some excellent in health facility haven't even approved yet....oh darn.....we can check up in 8 years.

Whoa this is better than facebook!! Lol. I think its wonderful that bandsters feel so protective over there choice and their band in general. However this is a public forum, where thoughts, opinions and expressions of all kinds are allowed. Lets remember we are all in this same weight loss game together, so lets play nice. :)

To the OP, if you'd like to talk to people who've been banded longer than 8 years, you can find some in some of the yahoo groups band support lists.

In particular, look for SmartBandsters and DFWBandsters. Both of them have members banded more than 10 years and doing well.

Enjoy your sleeve.

I did a TON of research online when I was first looking into wls. But it was a hand-out from my doctor (who, by the way, performs all the different weight loss surgeries) that helped me make the ultimate decision. His hand-out included the possible complications, both short-term and long-team, for each surgery. Choosing lap-band was a no-brainer for me because it has the least short-term and long-term complications. I'll take a 6% chance of re-operation with the band over a 30% chance of nutrient deficiency with the sleeve. Also, one of my husband's co-workers was having the sleeve at the same time I was having the band...last I heard "he wasn't doing too well." If you've chosen the sleeve, I wish you the best of luck. I'm very well educated and can make my choices for myself without your help.

I wanted the sleeve because I have absolutely no intention of having this reversed... I want this to be permanent... But after doing a lot of research and not rushing into surgery, the decision came down to a numbers game...

-- The mortality rate for the sleeve is 1/200... In the band it's 1/2000.

-- 1% of the people who get the sleeve have a leak, and if they do, they're in AGONY in and out of the hospital for possibly 5-6 months at a time

-- 1/3 of the people who get bypass or sleeve gain it back with no other option afterwards than to get the band (i.e. carny wilson)

IMHO, the sleeve is a fabulous option when it works. But the risk that it could turn out to be a total disaster is way way way too high for me... I have a family that loves me and a 4 year old daughter. I don't have the right to gamble with something that could take me out...

I'll keep this short because my laptop died and this is from my Kindle. I think this discussion is a waste of time and that the original post was highly inappropriate. This is a SUPPORT GROUP for people who are already banded or who are seriously considering lap band surgery. It is not for just anyone to post whatever they think about the band including incorrect and unscientific information. I hope the original poster will please refrain from further replies. The depth of emotion that you evoked tells me your negative posts are not welcome here.

I'll keep this short because my laptop died and this is from my Kindle. I think this discussion is a waste of time and that the original post was highly inappropriate. This is a SUPPORT GROUP for people who are already banded or who are seriously considering lap band surgery. It is not for just anyone to post whatever they think about the band including incorrect and unscientific information. I hope the original poster will please refrain from further replies. The depth of emotion that you evoked tells me your negative posts are not welcome here.

Very well put