Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I In The Green Zone Or Sweet Spot?

I don't count calories during the day but I do often look back in the evening and see approx. how many I've consumed. I stay in the 1000-1200 range. I do think 800 is too low.

Keep in mind the more solid your food the longer it will keep you full. Egg salad won't keep you as full as chicken breast. My doctor says you are in the green zone if you can go 4.5 hours before being hungry.

I am bit torn as to the advice to give you. If you can't consistantly go 4.5 hours before you are hungry; I'd say you need a fill. However if you are loosing some weeks 3-5 pounds I'd say you don't need a fill.

Also you mentioned rarely feeling pain. You should not feel pain at all! I am at restriction and don't get stuck episodes unless I do something stupid. Like eating raw carrots plain which I KNOW is a problem.

I would have a frank discussion with you health profession and ask their advice. That is afterall why you pay for their expertise.

I don't count calories during the day but I do often look back in the evening and see approx. how many I've consumed. I stay in the 1000-1200 range. I do think 800 is too low.

Keep in mind the more solid your food the longer it will keep you full. Egg salad won't keep you as full as chicken breast. My doctor says you are in the green zone if you can go 4.5 hours before being hungry.

I am bit torn as to the advice to give you. If you can't consistantly go 4.5 hours before you are hungry; I'd say you need a fill. However if you are loosing some weeks 3-5 pounds I'd say you don't need a fill.

Also you mentioned rarely feeling pain. You should not feel pain at all! I am at restriction and don't get stuck episodes unless I do something stupid. Like eating raw carrots plain which I KNOW is a problem.

I would have a frank discussion with you health profession and ask their advice. That is afterall why you pay for their expertise.

I agree with what you said about looking back at what you have eaten during the day. I do that too and did not realize it.

It is not uncommon to look at what I have eaten so far during the day, and then come to the conclusion I have had enough that day and say screw it to dinner, I've eaten enough today, I'm finished, and go without eating anything more.

I could never have done that before being banded.

I have experienced pain, but it is not good. It usually is a warning that I just swallowed something too hard, too big, too much, or all of the above. It does not happen very much, because my eating habits have changed and I should know better.

I think the pain is caused by eating too fast or not chewing well. That has stopped but yesterday I was able to eat 1/2 big mac and today I got stuck on a chicken wing....AHHHH and my scale has decided to stop moving. I really can't figure it out.

Last night I had 1/2 big mac minus 1 bun 1/2 small french fries and 1 sundae

I don't think this meal is a good indicator of restriction. A big Mac burger is not solid Protein, it is reconstituted meat covered in grease that slides down really easily.You didn't eat the bun and the french fries are also very skinny and probably very easy to eat. I am not a Macca's fan so I don't really know.

As to the sundae , your band would need to be completely blocked for that not to go down. Icecream goes down so easily.

I think you should stop eating big macs and start eating some proper home cooked food and see what kind of a difference it makes.

You also have to remember that at some point your weight loss will slow down or even plateau, especially if you have had weeks where you have been losing 5lb, it takes your body time to catch up. That is not a problem as losing weight is not a race.

I still think that you should discuss it with your Dr , making sure you are HONEST with what you tell him, and then take his advice.

Ok so I know that I shouldn't but I did, just to test how much food I could eat. Last night I had 1/2 big mac minus 1 bun 1/2 small french fries and 1 sundae. I stayed under 1200 calories yesterday. I felt satisfied and full. I waited 20 minutes to eat the sundae. After that meal I think I realize that I may need another small fill. I don't think that I should be able to eat that much in one meal. Am I wrong? I feel like I am so close but right now I am thinking I need another fill.

I can and always could eat that much, but I lost weight and kept it off. The ight restriction for you is where you eat till satisfied, are not unduly hungry but still lose an average of 1-2 lb per week. Thats all you need to worry about. If you can eat 3000 calories of healthy food a day and lose weight, then thats the right restriction for you. Trying to judge it by bring able to eat bread, or being able to eat more than half a cup, etc is silly. If you are losing, but can eat a meal and not get hungry until its a reasonable time to eat again, then thats the right restriction.

You are right and I hadn't had McDonalds since before my surgery. A moment of mental weakness that I am not proud of but i am a recovering food addict lol. Believe or not for me burgers/ ground beef and ice cream doesn't go down easily for me. If I try to eat it too fast it hurts so yesterday when it went down easily I just thought maybe I needed a fill.

I don't think this meal is a good indicator of restriction. A big Mac burger is not solid Protein, it is reconstituted meat covered in grease that slides down really easily.You didn't eat the bun and the french fries are also very skinny and probably very easy to eat. I am not a Macca's fan so I don't really know.

As to the sundae , your band would need to be completely blocked for that not to go down. Icecream goes down so easily.

I think you should stop eating big macs and start eating some proper home cooked food and see what kind of a difference it makes.

You also have to remember that at some point your weight loss will slow down or even plateau, especially if you have had weeks where you have been losing 5lb, it takes your body time to catch up. That is not a problem as losing weight is not a race.

I still think that you should discuss it with your Dr , making sure you are HONEST with what you tell him, and then take his advice.

Well I am tracking calories because I don't want the scale to go the other direction. I am taking this week to really listen o my band to see how long I stay full and satisfied. So far its not consistent. Somedays I am hungerier than other days.

I can and always could eat that much, but I lost weight and kept it off. The ight restriction for you is where you eat till satisfied, are not unduly hungry but still lose an average of 1-2 lb per week. Thats all you need to worry about. If you can eat 3000 calories of healthy food a day and lose weight, then thats the right restriction for you. Trying to judge it by bring able to eat bread, or being able to eat more than half a cup, etc is silly. If you are losing, but can eat a meal and not get hungry until its a reasonable time to eat again, then thats the right restriction.

You are right and I hadn't had McDonalds since before my surgery. A moment of mental weakness that I am not proud of but i am a recovering food addict lol. Believe or not for me burgers/ ground beef and ice cream doesn't go down easily for me. If I try to eat it too fast it hurts so yesterday when it went down easily I just thought maybe I needed a fill.

Pssssstt! I still vote for a fill!

Lol ur awesome b-52!

Thanks B I miss your advice but I think you are right ;-) I am so close but not there yet. I am talking to my doc Friday and asking for a small fill. Hopefully he will agree.

Pssssstt! I still vote for a fill!

I have been in the green zone for most of my banded time. I have never eaten less than 1200 cals. I exercise daily, and eat not more than 1/2 c - 1 c at a time i eat every 2-3 hours. If you feel unsatisfied and hungry between meals or close to when you eat you might need a mini fill. Also look at your food choices. I eat a high Protein diet and pick food that keeps me full longer. Good luck! You are losing at the right rate. Keep up the great work!

Well last night I was starving!!! I ate @ 1200 cals. I ate more Protein. I did have real hunger pains, it wasn't just in my head. I drank Water and went to bed. I have been trying to cut down on the snacking because that gets me into trouble. My scale has NOT budged in a week. So I am thinking I hit a plateau. I think a small fill is in order.

Well last night I was starving!!! I ate @ 1200 cals. I ate more Protein. I did have real hunger pains, it wasn't just in my head. I drank Water and went to bed. I have been trying to cut down on the snacking because that gets me into trouble. My scale has NOT budged in a week. So I am thinking I hit a plateau. I think a small fill is in order.

Small as in at least 1cc....

Did you eat the chicken skin? Skin is on the no list. Some days i find meat hard. I have to eat tiny tiny bites and chew forever. Good luck.

So just got back from my 4th fill :( I convinced him to give me .5cc and drinking the Water was a struggle and I felt super full. So he convinced me to take it out. He didn't want to fill me at all because he felt my weight loss was slow and steady. So he took out everything but a 10th of it, I think to make me happy because I tried to convince him to only take .25 of it but then I went with his advice. So now I am 5.10cc I am hoping this slight fill puts me in the green.