Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Years And Frusterated :(

I was banded March 2010. I have lost 44lbs since my surgery - that's my problem. Before my surgery, I joined this forum and began reading all the success stories from women who lost upwards of 100lbs in the first year! I was super pumped - I didn't start loosing hope until I realized that I was losing weight at a snails pace and it wasn't working as well as I thought it was going to. At my tightest, I was 7.5cc in my band - I could still eat bread, Pasta - pretty much everything but I had severe acid reflux and I had 2.5cc removed last week and now I can eat ANYTHING, guzzle Water, eat fast, the whole 9 yards - like I'm not even banded!

Could I have slipped my band or stretched my pouch?! The only thing I can attribute my slow weight loss to is my lack of exercise because I CERTAINLY wasn't overeating...if anything I was under-eating! I'm feeling defeated...I went through the pain and expense to have this done as a TOOL to help me change my life and I am not discrediting the 44lbs that are no longer on my body BUT I'm not normal - not when all these folks are posting their magnificent weight loss stories!

I am in a unique position because my surgeon is in the process of moving to a different hospital and opening up a new fill center. The old fill center is still open but when I went to have my Fluid taken out the woman took 30 minutes and 20-30 jabs to find my port and I was traumatized...I'm scared to go back and she never answers questions. I'm thinking of calling my surgeon's office and asking if I can come talk to him a little bit about my concerns because I'm starting to regret my decision to have the surgery in the first place - and I really hate that feeling:( as I am usually a "glass half full" kinda gal.

I guess my main questions are:

(1) Is it possible that my band flipped?

(2) Could my pouch be dilated?

(3) Could my pouch be stretched out? If so, is that fixable without surgery?

(4) Is anyone else losing this slow? Is it normal?

Thanks in advance - any advice is greatly appreciated.

A couple things, can you give an example of what you eat during a day? Roughly how many calories a day do you consume? Are you drinking Water with meals or right after eating? These are all necessary questions to give you an honest answer.

You said if anything you under-eat, and that can also seriously slow (even halt) weight loss. Your body goes into starvation mode and starts storing everything you eat.

Also, how much do you normally eat in one sitting, volume wise? 1/2 cup? 1 cup? Do you feel full?

You need to go see your surgeon. He needs to do a fluoro and see if everything is alright. Also tell him you want someone who knows what they are doing to do your fills. I am 2½ years out and every fill I have every had was done by a surgeon and one poke and that is it.

Also I think you have to workout. Most of us don't like it (some do) but you can't expect to lose weight with out uping you movement and burning some calories. You can do it just start out small and work your way up. I have always had to workout unless I go very, very low carb, then I seem to lose without much exercise but I can not stick with it long.

But don't give up, hey I think you can't complain if you are not doing all you know you are suppose to. I tell myself that all the time.

Please go see your Dr. and start a workout program, even just walking around the mall.

Cheri

On average, I'm probably eating 1000-1200 calories a day. Before I had to have Fluid removed I did not feel full - I would stop eating because I was so miserable I could eat anymore. I would pb or throw-up almost every day (sometimes twice a day) since I have had Fluid removed, I can eat approx. 1cup to 1.5 cup of pasta-like stuff or like a chicken sandwich, etc. Surprisingly, I feel full now (just had dinner) that I have had some fluid taken out - I think I was too tight...or filled too fast and that really hurt my progress.

Drinking with meals - that's one concept I had an easy time grasping. Rarely do I even sip during a meal - only if I get extremely thirsty do I do that. I usually wait 15-20 minutes after meals to drink but it's NOT Water (usually) it's something like 1/2 and 1/2 tea or lemonade. I do not drink soft drinks AT ALL but I do have like iced coffee or a latte in the morning.

As far as exercise goes - for approx. 6-8 months I walked every morning and I still slow to no weight loss. We have recently moved and I need to find a gym or hook my Kinect back up. I've also had my hormones and thyroid checked and they came back normal. I have a normal menstrual cycle and my cholesterol and blood pressure are normal (thank the GOOD LORD)!

You're eating the right amount a day, you're not drinking during meals, and you're not drinking soda. Yes, exercising would help, but at that level of calorie intake you should be losing even without it. It sounds like you're doing everything right.

I would go see your surgeon and be sure to insist on seeing him, not the imbecile woman that clearly knows nothing about doing fills and unfills. I would also insist he do something like an barium swallow scan to check the size of the pouch and the condition of the band.

Best wishes to you, I hope you find answers and soon.

Thanks, I'm thinking seriously on it. I just want to make sure everything is okay with my band - I'm scared to death it's damaged or my pouch is stretched.

Should u try the five day pouch test?

Another question... wouldn't I have pain if my band slipped? Or wouldn't I have trouble eating/drinking? The only kind of pain I experience after my Fluid removal is the gas pain. What about dilated pouch - is that painful?

I will research the 5 Day Pouch Test.

I agree with the others but I have to say, and please know I'm not trying to be mean, but wouldn't it be easier to lose by staying off the carbs, like the bread and Pasta? I just know how I am with bread and pasta which is part of my need to resort to the banding. Just a thought.

Yes, it would be easier to stay away from the carbs...but much easier said than done. I mean, most of the woman on here CAN'T have carbs with restriction...that's been another frustration.

As a note...I'm honest by saying I eat carbs but I don't over indulge...I've never been that type. Also, my surgeon told me I needed to eat whatever I wanted, just within the portion restraints (and the obvious "no no" foods). I even stay away from ice cream and other sliders. I am also considering a nutritionist to help me pin point a problem.

I think you should cut the carbs and limit the latte's to 1-2 times a week because they have alot of calories. Also see a nutritionist. She helped me get on track because I was eating more than I thought I was. Keep your carbs under 100 grams per day. Don't eat anything more 10 grams of fat at one time, exercise and drink lots of Water. I have PCOS and I am 10

months in and down 54lbs. I am losing at a snails pace because of my hormones. If you too tight, you won't loose because your body is starving. Also for me, the band doesn't always curb my appetite. I wish it did but it doesn't. Good luck and.get moving!

I agree timbergirl,. i was banded august 2010..lost 65 pds the first 6 months and gained 40 back..im so frustrated also..and had i known about being able to eat around the band i wouldnt of done it..i no longer have insurance but im blessed because i found my sweet spot after 3 fills! i still cant eat much at one sitting and have to have something warm to open my stoma/.. i used to be so anal about this tool now its just useless scars on my skin..i need to lose 75 more pds...i was on chat here daily gettin inspiration and i havent been on here in over a year.. now im ready to get off the floor , dust my boots off and jump back on that horse...yes carbs are my downfall.. but honestly mindless snacking gets me everytime! i do good all day and then BAM! Hello chips and dip! ARRGGG...