Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded April 18Th ? Scared

Hi there...

Can't believe the surgery is less than a month away!! I've been so excited for so long, but now I'm starting to get scared.

Mostly I'm scared that I'll be a failure at this, just like every other diet I've been on. I know the lap band is "a tool" and that it won't cure me. But that's exactly what scares me. I fear that I'll be one of those people who eats sliding foods, or who does whatever the bad people do to not lose weight...

This last month has been such a food nightmare for me. Every meal is a last meal and I feel disgusting and tired and depressed. I'm sure that part of that is how badly I've been eating. You can't eat the way I've been eating and feel good. There's a huge part of me that can't wait for the liquid diet just so this binge can be OVER already!

I don't know. Is this going to work for me? I'm flakey and disorganized, I just don't know that this is something I'm going to be good at!

All that said, there is a glimmer of hope. I'm a binge eater, not a grazer, so if nothing else this will probably stop that...

*sigh*

I would bet every bandster had these or have these thoughts go through their mind. I know I did. I didn't tell alot of people about my surgery for that very reason. I guess we all have a built in "failure" mechanism since we've failed at most other programs. You are right, the band is a tool and only a tool. They call this lab band deal a "journey" and it is exactly that. You will find out things about yourself that you never knew or wanted to admit before. Binge eating is a problem between your ears not your stomach. I cannot physically binge anymore because the band literally prevents it unless I was to end up in miserable discomfort. I've grazed with the best of them for one reason or another (boredom, my period, etc) but that's when you have to buck up and use common sense. In 14 months I've got way more control over myself than I had before but I still struggle. It's easier but you have to work at it. It's not a magic potion. If you have a qualified surgeon and everything with the band surgery goes according to plan, you allow yourself time to heal, you follow the rules to the letter, get fills when you're supposed to, follow up with your doctor's office/nurses even if you don't need a fill, you will have success. It may not be as fast as everyone else, but it will happen. I would stronly suggest 2 things....First, get and read the book "Bandwagon" by Jean McMillan. I wish I would have had it before surgery. Second, it's ok to get some counseling or attend a therapy group for overeaters. most of us have had food issues for a long time and that's how we ended up needing help. The band doesn't fix everything. you really have to work on your head and why you binge. I attend a bariatric group meeting every month or so and it's been very helpful. Good Luck to you!

I was banded in June 2009 and have had regretted my decision daily. It's what they don't tell you that sucks. Post Op is sooo painful, you wake up to an air bubble that settles in either your stomach or shoulders. I have a very high tolerance to pain, but that day I wanted to scream from the pain. I was not aware that you have to drink your beverage before you eat your meal, if you mess up and take a drink during the meal, you will probably end up in the bathroom throwing up (I got this information in my post op paper work.) I have always hated throwing up so the Band is just not working for me. Only my family knows about my band, so when we go out to eat with friends it's a real trick trying to find something on the menu that will stay down. I have weighed my meals and followed all dietary instructions, but I still have bad reflux (which I didn't have prior to the band.) I now have insurance that does not cover the removal, but when Jan 1, 2013 (date of new insurance) I will be on my way to having it removed. I have lost 90 LBS and still have about 50 to go, but I now know that diet and excercise is the only pain free and healthy way to lose.

This is just my experience and don't want to scare you even more, but really think about it and read the blogs, both positive and negative and make an informed decision based on your research. I wish you the best!!

I don't doubt ppillows19's pain or problems but she really is the exception not the rule. No procedure works perfectly for everyone....peoples physiology are unique. Also, a lot depends on the experience of the surgeons that perform the procedure.

I had a perfect experience, literally no pain and minor discomfort post-op, to the point that I never took the pain meds they gave me...for a few days it felt like I did a belly flop in the pool, no worse. The air bubble ppillows19 is referring to is a result of the surgeons literally inflating your stomach cavity to create work space, in the majority of the procedures the air bubble dissipates through the incisions and occasionally a small bubble gets trapped inside and gives a bloated feeling for a few days...again I think hers was an unfortunate exception. Follow all the instructions they give you to the letter and DO NOT try to modify the recovery process. I have a customer who got the band after seeing my results, six months later he had only lost 20 lbs, when I started to ask about his eating habits he admitted that he polishes a bottle of wine a night...that's 600-800 calories a day right there plus carbs and sugars.

If you gloss over the forum you will see that the overwhelming majority of people had a great weight loss experience with minimal discomfort....good luck...can't wait to see you six months from now!

I was extremely nervous before my surgery too but had a wonderful post-op experience. I was worried about the slider food too but I try very had to make good food choices and try to eat quality meals. Believe me you can still binge with the band. Slider food are named that for a reason. They go straight down. Know your trigger foods and stay away. chips and ice cream are mine so I try to ignore them.

Stay focused and use the tools around you like this site or support groups in your area. Over eaters anonymous believe it or not is a great group.

Best of luck and a swift recovery.

I was banded on 3/20/12 and can say my post-op experience has gone really well. I have been sore, but have walked around a lot, drank peppermint tea, and used a heating pad- these are all things I've heard recommended for gas pains.

Otherwise, the actual incision pain is minimal. The only part that causes serious discomfort is where the port is, and as long as I am careful when I am moving around in bed or getting up/sitting down, it is okay. I have been making sure to stay on top of my pain meds as well.

As for the foods, it is your decision to eat them or not. We have all read about what can happen if we're too tight, so I think the best bet is to really listen to your body and let it tell you if you are doing okay.

I also went on a self-imposed pseudo liquid diet for the few weeks before surgery. I did have three "Last Meals," but I ate very small portions and practiced the rules of chewing, no drinking, etc. I want this to work for me, and I am the only one that can make it happen.