Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Years In And My Band Has Slipped :(

Good Luck Elcee!

Jean I haven't been very active on this site so I don't know who she is but I can recall one particular member awhile back who constantly make negative comments about everything. Those types of people are usually very miserable in their own personal lives.

I think you're absolutely right about that, Tammy.

OMG!!!! I just found out that my slipped band will be removed then I will have to wait 3 months to have a new one put in....I am sooo scared!!!!

OMG!!!! I just found out that my slipped band will be removed then I will have to wait 3 months to have a new one put in....I am sooo scared!!!!

That must be a really bad slip. What was your surgeon's explanation for the 3 month wait? Does putting a new band in at the same time as your old one is removed pose too great a risk of another slip? If that's the case, the 3 month wait might be worth it even if you regain weight.

Yes Jean that is exactly why. According to my surgeon waiting 3 months gives the stomach time to heal. It does make sense but those 3 months will definitely be a struggle.

Oh, I feel your pain! I've regained 10 lbs in 4 weeks since my complete unfill. I think you just have to do the best you can, and remind yourself that you lost 100%+ of your excess weight once and you can do it again once you have the tool to help you.

It just shows that even when we think our bands are not doing anything for us they really are. When do you go for your revision Jean, hopefully soon? I think the worst part must be having to go through that post op diet thing for a second time and it is even stricter with a sleeve isn't it?

Tammy you can only do your best. Try to snack on healthy stuff. Maybe take advantage and eat the low cal filling foods that you were unable to with a properly adjusted band e.g raw carrots, celery etc

I only had my fill out (except 2ml) for 10 days and managed to not really gain, not sure how as I felt like I was eating everything in sight. I am now trying to consciously make an effort to not go crazy as it still doesn't feel like I have much restriction although it is definetly better than it was.

Elcee,

I was hoping for revision at the end of April, but my surgeon's so-called patient advocate is spectacularly unhelpful so I feel like for every step I take forward, she sends me 2 steps back. I'm not going to think about the post-op liquid diet until I absolutely must. It won't be fun, but it's certainly not as difficult as some other challenges I've faced in the past, and it's for a good cause.

I agree with you 100% - there's nothing like an unfill to make you appreciate how much your band was doing for you and you may have been taking for granted! And I've really been enjoying eating raw veggies and fruits again.

Well I am scheduled for revision surgery on Mon April 23rd and I have started the dreadful 2 week liquid diet! I am so iiritated because from what I understand the liquid diet is to shrink the liver because people who are obese tend to have large fatty livers. Duh...I have a normal BMI now hence a normal sized liver. I mentioned this to the dietician and her response what that everyone has to do the 2 week liquid diet. I get the feeling that we are all just put into a box and given the same rules regardless of the situation. Besides that I am on a very very strict liquid diet of only low carb Protein shakes, sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, broth, and crystal light. I was allowed full liquids before my first surgery and everything went well so I don't understand why I have to go through this. This is a different surgeon so I guess everyone has their own rules but this is all so ridiculous if you ask me!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Well I am scheduled for revision surgery on Mon April 23rd and I have started the dreadful 2 week liquid diet! I am so iiritated because from what I understand the liquid diet is to shrink the liver because people who are obese tend to have large fatty livers. Duh...I have a normal BMI now hence a normal sized liver. I mentioned this to the dietician and her response what that everyone has to do the 2 week liquid diet. I get the feeling that we are all just put into a box and given the same rules regardless of the situation. Besides that I am on a very very strict liquid diet of only low carb Protein shakes, sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, broth, and crystal light. I was allowed full liquids before my first surgery and everything went well so I don't understand why I have to go through this. This is a different surgeon so I guess everyone has their own rules but this is all so ridiculous if you ask me!

Thanks for letting me vent!

One of the reasons for the pre-op liver shrink diet is to improve the texture of the liver (not just the size) so that it's less slippery for your surgeon to handle, making the procedure safer for you.

But I completely understand how tiresome it is to go through all of that stuff all over again. I'm facing something similar myself. I keep telling myself it's only 2 weeks, not 2 or 20 years!

Thanks Jean! It would be nice if the dietician would have explained that to me instead of just simply saying everyone has to do it. That does make sense (to make it less slippery) but I still don't understand why a full 2 weeks and why so strict? I was even allowed 4oz of meat each day during my first pre-op diet. I truly believe some of these surgeons just want to torture you LOL!

I truly believe some of these surgeons just want to torture you LOL!

I think there's a grain or 2 of truth in that. I've been wondering if the surgeons are even aware of all of the rules their clinics impose on patients.

My current surgeon's patient advocate (advocate isn't the exact word I'd use to describe her) told me that I have to follow all their pre-op procedures for my revision surgery despite the fact that I've already done all of this before. She said, "Listen, Jean, I know you wrote a book about it and everything, but this is the way we do things." Ah, yes, my very favorite reason for doing things: "we've always done it this way"!

But, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, I'm telling myself that since my original surgery was done by a different surgeon in another state (who also got his medical license yanked), my current surgeon's office has to assume that everything I learned the first time around is worthless, despite my evident success.

I went to a mandatory nutrition class yesterday (which involved a 240 mile round trip, with gas at $4.09/gallon) and heard the dietitian say some things that just did not click with my understanding of things, but you'd be proud, I didn't make any smart-aleck or know-it-all remarks. Out loud, anyway.

Oh geez...I would be furious if they asked me to do any of the pre-op stuff I had to do the first time (i.e. support groups, nutrition classes, etc). I'm just ready to get this over with!!!

Do you have a surgery date? Are you getting another band or going for the gastric sleeve?

No, no surgery date yet. We have to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed, you know. I had to get cardiac clearance because of my age (I'm 58, and I'm proud to say I aced the treadmill stress test) and blood tests for TSH and H. Pylori (the 1st was normal and the 2nd was absent). My internist's office was supposed to fax it to my surgeon's office yesterday afternoon. I left a message for the patient advocate this morning and haven't had a reply yet.

I'm going with the sleeve instead of another band because my surgeon thinks another band would be asking for trouble (not her exact words, but that's what it boils down to). I love my band and hate, hate, hate to see it go, but I'm just trying to make the best of the circumstances. God clearly wants me to learn some more lessons...

Oh, oh! I just had a great idea! Why don't you call your surgeon's office and tell them that your PCP is extremely concerned that you will lose too much weight during this strict pre-op liquid diet and that you undergoing surgery when you're underweight would be dangerous?

Well, maybe not a great idea. A good idea. An idea worth considering?

:-)

Good idea Jean! Unfortunately losing another 10lbs or so would still put me in the normal weight range :-( I guess I have no choice and will stick with it as much as possible. Funny thing is I also asked the dietician if I could use my juicer to make my green drink and she said no to that as well. I started juicing a few months ago and it has done wonders for me health wise. And based on research vegetable juicing is highly recommended for liver health so if the condition of the liver is the main concern then why not? As long as I drink the shakes for Protein as well. I can go on and on about why I think their rules on this is absurd probably because this hunger is really getting to me now...no energy, depressed, crabby, emotional! :angry::blink::unsure: I feel sorry for my poor kids!

Good luck with the sleeve procedure and I hope you get a surgery date soon!